is really a shorey
69%
gets backwash
31%

Total votes: 16

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:58 pm

It's a good point Nick. Considering where technology is these days, why don't they have a couple of vantage points covered by cameras, while they judge from in front?

Another question Nick. How much time elapses from the time the wave is ridden to the time the score is given. Do judges pride themselves on putting up their score as quickly as possible, or is sober reflection considered a more desirable way to judge.

If there is no need for them to score it within seconds of the ride, why not the benefit of replays from different angles so they can get a better appreciation of the ride before scoring?

Just a thought. I have a couple of the g-land comp videos and quite a lot of the footage shows the same ride from in front as opposed to the side and the perspective just makes for a completely different appreciation, especially where the wave is barrelling. If someone is completely inside a barrel the judges have no idea how deep, and can only judge it by whether they come out and how late.

I wouldn't see it as being worthwhile except for conditions like pipe, g-land.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:25 pm

nick
gonna be in hawaii soon. phantoms ?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:55 am

oldman wrote:It's a good point Nick. Considering where technology is these days, why don't they have a couple of vantage points covered by cameras, while they judge from in front?

Another question Nick. How much time elapses from the time the wave is ridden to the time the score is given. Do judges pride themselves on putting up their score as quickly as possible, or is sober reflection considered a more desirable way to judge.

If there is no need for them to score it within seconds of the ride, why not the benefit of replays from different angles so they can get a better appreciation of the ride before scoring?
I reckon something like this is inevitable but perhaps just at certain spots, like Pipe, where there's a lot more going on in a short space than first meets the eye.

Judges are allowed as long as they need to make a decision on wave scores, but usually seem to cough it up after about a minute. Some guys are quicker than others; some register a score then think again and re-score it before putting it into the computer. Sometimes I've seen judges spend five minutes on an individual wave score.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:11 am

I've asked this B4 but no one responded, Nick, why are there 4 man heats for the Pipe when it is a CT event. Is it because its part of the Triple Crown??

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:23 am

This just in... http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/25459/news.htm
Surfers Village wrote:As a result of the performance standards being raised, judges at top tour events are forever facing increasing pressure to be 100 per cent accurate in the delivery of scores and results. For this reason, for the first time ever in the sport, ASP will be introducing instant replays via personal monitors for each individual judge so they can access previous waves and further scrutinise over wave scores.

“As a tool this will be invaluable for judges,” said Bartholomew. “Having seen it trialled in Brazil in 2006, it was extremely beneficial in giving judges a means for being 100 per cent accurate in score delivery. It will aid the guys in judging when two competitors are riding or when something is critical – it will also allow judges to check at any time that their scores are in line with the scale.

“It really is amazing technology,” Bartholomew continued. “It’s a great step in the evolution of judging… And with the standard of the tours rising at every event, everything is just so critical. The replays will ensure that the judges will not miss a thing."
Sounds like a really good move.

BTW, in the same article, they the 45 for next year. It appears that (and I must have missed this announcement) they are only awarding two injury wildcards this year, to Raoni Monteri and Ace Buchan. This means that the last spot on the CT for 2007 goes to (drum roll please) Luke Munro.

What a tortorous wait. He would have completely given up hope. Well done mate.

20 of next year's 45 are Aussie. Given that superiority, you'd think one of the buggers could nail a world title.

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:28 am

grazza wrote: 20 of next year's 45 are Aussie. Given that superiority, you'd think one of the buggers could nail a world title.
yeah, you'd think so ... but don't hold your breath ... i can't see an aussie winning a world titles in the next 2-3 years ... that p.isses me right off
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:05 pm

Ahh,I see. Cheers Wanto.
It seemed a bit strange IMHO (mind you I know little about the formats of comps) to have the biggest CT comp of the year held in a 4 man format. I mean, as someone stated earlier, it really is the Wimbeldon of surfing. It must have been pretty tough for some of those poor bastards hoping to squeak in to contention for next year.
But i guess (with all the wildcards) the best Pipe surfers were all there and it was won by a deserving victor.
It just didn't have the 'feel' of a CT comp IMO.

Matt Damon is really Cheryl Kernot.