Firewire Surfboards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:02 pm

Groink wrote:
Merry Prankster wrote:However I creased the board in 3ft North Narra a few weeks ago and I am not even sure how it happened.
Firewire's raison d’être was never about building a better surfboard. Rather, it was all about creating and marketing a $1000 surfboard to those who could afford to pay more – namely urban professionals in their 20’s or 30’s. Presumably the new “Malibu” caters for the cashed up 40 to 50 year old undergoing a mid life crisis.

This is welcome feedback since Firewire’s marketing strategy depends on its target market being unable to differentiate between a mediocre and a good product. Published experiences of unhappy customers do an excellent job of diluting marketing hype. And parabolic stringers are really just the equivalent of go fast stripes on cars.

In a market where high quality products from reputable manufacturers can be had for $500-$650, by purchasing a Firewire surfboard you only prove that you are a gullible consumer of marketing drivel.

Don’t worry; we’ll only laugh at you behind your back.
Don't agree, and I'm sure alot of people on here won't either. Sure they are targeted more at a above average income earner but that doesn't mean they're not at least slightly better than normal pu. There's alot of people on here who have used a number of parabolic rail boards who have no doubt they're at least a slight improvemet, they may not be the answer for everyone but I would bet you in 5 years 1/3 to 1/2 or even more of all boards sold will be of the same design concept (suspension systems, parabolic rails etc). PU as the prefered construction is changing, the new tech is definately here to stay...

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Leaving price out of it, I am starting to enjoy my firewire more and more.

Its exciting to surf on when I feel like mixing up boards and i still havent had a single scratch on it, even after taking it to Hawaii.

Im not regretting the purchase.

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am

Carpark King wrote:Leaving price out of it, I am starting to enjoy my firewire more and more.

Its exciting to surf on when I feel like mixing up boards and i still havent had a single scratch on it, even after taking it to Hawaii.

Im not regretting the purchase.

What model do you have? And do you find it suited to different types of surf compared to pu?

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:53 am

flexfire 6'1 x 18 1/2 x 2 3/16

Yeah I have been enjoying it most is smallish 2-3 foot waves which have a bit of a crumbly wall to hit.

It feels as though it suits surfing off the top and so Im doing mostly reos etc.... I havent really sussed it out doing cutbacks that much.. but plan on changing that when I actually find some open faced sections, which seems to be hard to find where I surf..

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:43 pm

I've actually had good surfers grab some lately and they have come back with some very positive feedback, and its been the 601 & 602 Flexfires.
When I mean good, I mean pretty much best at their respective areas.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:02 pm

HYPE

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
philw wrote:Out of all of this - all of this amazing new stuff that has come to light - what will make me surf better?
You will.

Equipment's just a part of a surfer's ability to put all the pieces together. You know the saying, "A bad workman blames his tools"? What makes him a bad workman is the fact that he's picked bad tools.
I've only had a couple of off the rack 601 and 603, and inherited a dead guys 602, now I want a decent PU or parabolic in that size range. The hype's blown my mind, and I'm thinking custom DHD :idea: (wish they'd change the logo but, to me it reads like 'daid' for frock sake), Simon Anderson :!: , Chilli :?: , heard of Terry Richardson in Wollongong. It's time for a good tool :shock: .

I'm not putting myself through the 3d degree over frockin fin placement on a quad, thanks. When they're spaced too far front-to-back, and too close together at the back, it reads turbulence in the water :evil: .

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Groink wrote:
Merry Prankster wrote:However I creased the board in 3ft North Narra a few weeks ago and I am not even sure how it happened.
Firewire's raison d’être was never about building a better surfboard. Rather, it was all about creating and marketing a $1000 surfboard to those who could afford to pay more – namely urban professionals in their 20’s or 30’s. Presumably the new “Malibu” caters for the cashed up 40 to 50 year old undergoing a mid life crisis.

This is welcome feedback since Firewire’s marketing strategy depends on its target market being unable to differentiate between a mediocre and a good product. Published experiences of unhappy customers do an excellent job of diluting marketing hype. And parabolic stringers are really just the equivalent of go fast stripes on cars.

In a market where high quality products from reputable manufacturers can be had for $500-$650, by purchasing a Firewire surfboard you only prove that you are a gullible consumer of marketing drivel.

Don’t worry; we’ll only laugh at you behind your back.
That comment is offensive and overly cynical crap. Sounds to me like someone who cant afford to rake together enough dough to buy a Firewire. I dont have money to burn but am sick of constantly fixing dings and so far have not even had a fracture on my FW, only slight heal depressions. Yeah I bought on the hype I had heard, but for me its been accurate. They are not perfect nor are they industructible, but for me and apparently a lot of others they work. To say FW riders are gullible or going through a mid life crisis wreeks of sour grapes and jealousy. I see Rasta is riding a carbon fibre Aviso hollow fish, is he gullible or going through a mid life crisis? If he is , it sure hasnt hurt his surfing.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:52 pm

was all downhill after my shaper left, dammit darce

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Why should we care/criticise what other ppl choose to ride?

Do whatever makes ya happy and works for you.

Surfing has got to be one of the most gossipy, bitchy, snobby, im better than you sports!

Or maybe its just internet forums :lol:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 am

pervert.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 am

Groink wrote:This is welcome feedback since Firewire’s marketing strategy depends on its target market being unable to differentiate between a mediocre and a good product. Published experiences of unhappy customers do an excellent job of diluting marketing hype. And parabolic stringers are really just the equivalent of go fast stripes on cars.
Well there's MY judgement of surfboard performance out the window :lol:

I t'ink I laugh at you, Groink.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Proof is in how they surf.

I can't comment coz I have not ridden one.

I do find the shapes rather ugly, but mabye I should shut up and surf one first.

I know a few very good surfers who have tried them and the feedback has been mixed. I do think some people make up their mind before they even surf one (either positive or negative).

Had a look at one of Taj's actual Firewires the other day. What i can say is that his boards are very different to the Taj model you buy off the rack. That is probably a good thing coz I think most people would struggle on one of Taj's actual boards. I guess its no different to most of the other 'pro model' marketed boards out there.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Groink wrote:This is welcome feedback since Firewire’s marketing strategy depends on its target market being unable to differentiate between a mediocre and a good product. Published experiences of unhappy customers do an excellent job of diluting marketing hype. And parabolic stringers are really just the equivalent of go fast stripes on cars.
Well there's MY judgement of surfboard performance out the window :lol:
So you got one with stripes... spoilt, always spoilt.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Natho wrote:Proof is in how they surf.

I can't comment coz I have not ridden one.

I do find the shapes rather ugly, but mabye I should shut up and surf one first.

I know a few very good surfers who have tried them and the feedback has been mixed. I do think some people make up their mind before they even surf one (either positive or negative).

Had a look at one of Taj's actual Firewires the other day. What i can say is that his boards are very different to the Taj model you buy off the rack. That is probably a good thing coz I think most people would struggle on one of Taj's actual boards. I guess its no different to most of the other 'pro model' marketed boards out there.
I have to agree with Natho, they are a bit ugly. That really put me off buying one for a long time, but eventually I just had to know and love it now. I think Simon Andersons boards are the most aesthetically pleasing to look at and they ride insane but these FW are uber ugly, but ride unreal. I cant argue with Natho there.

defoe

Post by defoe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Aesthetics in surfboards is totally subjective. Sure, you can claim if a surfer 'likes the look of it' s/he will more likely have a certain confidence, and therefore a certain positive interpretation of its potentials - but look at the history of surfboards design. New shapes often were considered 'ugly' or weird (I do in fact remember looking at the first of Simon's thrusters and thinking "Oh my god, that fat square tail is ridiculous and ugly +")

Surely we should cancel aesthetics as much as possible, and get down to the basics of curves, volumes, blend etc first, then you need a go on the thing and utterly forget how it looks.

We used to spray horrible horrible colours all over our aging boards - revolting gray-green-blue dayglo pink drips. Does wonders for your staid impressions about aesthetics.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:31 am

^^^ 2 posts and you've already made a longarse enemy :lol:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .