bro
Local

Post by bro » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks NC

philw
Local

Post by philw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:24 pm

hmmm...yeah, but no, but yeah....

it'd be truly a breakthrough if something like the equivalent of parabolic skis making average punters ski UNDENIABLY VISIBLY BETTER had emerged from all this new board tech.

but unless i'm missing something, the new stuff offers only fairly subtle differences, detectable only to elite surfers and offering no real difference in performance for the average guy.

(but those carbon ones do look hot sexy)

bro
Local

Post by bro » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:09 pm

Jordy was riding JS boards at the goldie comp

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:25 pm

bro wrote:Jordy was riding JS boards at the goldie comp
That’s just him writing his initials on his board in case someone tries to knock it off. :D

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
bro wrote:Jordy was riding JS boards at the goldie comp
That’s just him writing his initials on his board in case someone tries to knock it off. :D
:lol: :lol:
I think Jordy is riding whatever his dad tells him to ride...........

But off course he's getting boards thrown at him, no different to a few other guys on tour. From what I have heard he's probably coming across as the biggest slut in the 44 atm.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:09 am

Longbum is right about his dad, wow talk about tight its like those TWO vs the world gnarly

At this stage he doesn't want to sign a board deal as his dad wants him to ride what he wants without the pressure of having to to ride one shapers boards (like they do that anyway) so at the moment its JS, Simons and merricks but everyone wants to throw boards at him

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:16 am

philw wrote:>>>What makes him a bad workman is the fact that he's picked bad tools.

shit. my cynicism evaporates just like that! :D
there's hope yet :D .

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:52 pm

philw wrote:hmmm...yeah, but no, but yeah....

it'd be truly a breakthrough if something like the equivalent of parabolic skis making average punters ski UNDENIABLY VISIBLY BETTER had emerged from all this new board tech.
Parabolic skis, man that was a revelation. After my first run on those things, I was thinking why the f*ck didn't ski makers come up with these when I was learning to ski - 50 years, millions of dollars worth of R&D and it was only after snowbaords arrived did they try shorter and wider with deep side cuts!

No these boards don't make that much of a difference - but for the average guy, lighter boards with rail stringers do make a difference - you can take your fave PU shape, go wider and thinner with less tail rocker and the board will feel much the same except it'll go better over flat sections and give you a bit more speed of the bottom, add in the durability factor and there's a discernable advantage. Marry this tech to a good quad shape and I reckon you are looking at the most user friendly board you can get.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Just to back up what Munch and NC said, you've really got to put time and the whole range of conditions into surfing parabolic rail boards.

I've had my Sunova for about 6 months now and its a full on enjoyable journey getting a handle on it. When I first surfed it I knew it was gonna be almost as complicated as a woman to nut out, but without the pain and retribution.

i f8ken really enjoy this board :wink:

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:49 pm

I reckon Pinhead is spot on. Im riding Parabolic boards much thinner than I have ever ridden boards and with very little concern over breaking one. I love the flex these boards have as they provide far more projection than a dead flexless board. Im getting around sections that I never hoped to get around before. They are here to stay for sure. Just bought a sweet little fw quad. It will take some working out but worth it for sure

Parabolic skis, man that was a revelation. After my first run on those things, I was thinking why the f*ck didn't ski makers come up with these when I was learning to ski - 50 years, millions of dollars worth of R&D and it was only after snowbaords arrived did they try shorter and wider with deep side cuts!

No these boards don't make that much of a difference - but for the average guy, lighter boards with rail stringers do make a difference - you can take your fave PU shape, go wider and thinner with less tail rocker and the board will feel much the same except it'll go better over flat sections and give you a bit more speed of the bottom, add in the durability factor and there's a discernable advantage. Marry this tech to a good quad shape and I reckon you are looking at the most user friendly board you can get
[/quote]

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Who has surfed both sunova and firewire? I'd be interested to see how they go compared to each other?

Just looked on the sunova website, its interesting to see they have a bolsa bottom as well, wonder how that alters the performance of the board?

Is there any sunova boards on demo round sydney? How much do they sell for?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Surfa 69 wrote:
Just looked on the sunova website, its interesting to see they have a bolsa bottom as well, wonder how that alters the performance of the board?
I've got a couple of boards with similar construction. All High Density (HD) foam ie core-cell top and bottom like Firewire is ok, all basla I found a bit stiff except for longer boards, but the balsa bottom with the HD foam deck is sweet. Flexy but with more pop and faster return than all core-cell. If you don't mind the woodgrain look I think it's the best option for shortboards.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:03 am

s69a,

there are no shops that you can demo a sunova from, the only way to demo would be to find someone who has one, and there would only be a handful in sydney. pm me your dimensions and i'll ask bert for you - he might have some ideas.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:29 pm

finally got ride one, today, in decent waves,

so i can stop talking thu my arse and u can disregard my previous posts in the thread :lol:

firstly.....if your looking for extra buoyancy...keep looking...they don't make a huge difference too paddling ability

on a wave there a bit weird (take into account i ride a fish 99% the time...so standard shorty took some adjustin)

the rails do "load up" in a turn....i can;t describe it any better than that :?

the more u push the more the board goes

i'm not rushing out buy one.....but it certainly does have a much better feel than the s-core project

if half wat they say about the new models with the carbon frame inside them is true....surfing could get very interesting :idea:

Merry Prankster
Grommet

Post by Merry Prankster » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I got a firewire in Dec after trying a demo. I found it to be better off the top and it felt more alive than my standard shorty. Basically it increased the amount of turns I made - nothing more.

However I creased the board in 3ft North Narra a few weeks ago and I am not even sure how it happened. Going on firewires logic - If the flex is in the foam and there is a big crack right across the middle is the boards flex going to change? Hopefully not but its getting fixed so only time will tell.

My advice - good technology but I wouldn't be spending the best part of a grand to buy one for another for a couple of years. Wait until most of the pro's are riding them (or what ever turns out to be better) and riding the same one all year.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:45 pm

Merry Prankster wrote:I got a firewire in Dec after trying a demo. I found it to be better off the top and it felt more alive than my standard shorty. Basically it increased the amount of turns I made - nothing more.

However I creased the board in 3ft North Narra a few weeks ago and I am not even sure how it happened. Going on firewires logic - If the flex is in the foam and there is a big crack right across the middle is the boards flex going to change? Hopefully not but its getting fixed so only time will tell.

My advice - good technology but I wouldn't be spending the best part of a grand to buy one for another for a couple of years. Wait until most of the pro's are riding them (or what ever turns out to be better) and riding the same one all year.
I dont think Firewire claim they are industructible, in fact the sticker on the board says they arent. All boards, even carbon fibre Aviso's can crease, it just happens. You would buy a Firewire firstly for the flex which cant be denied and secondly for the durability which is much better than PU for sure. I only have epoxy boards now (not Tuflite epoxies though) and they are in much better shape than they would be if they were PU. Still, I would be dirty if I creased one too. Hope it fixes up alright.

jayyrayy

Post by jayyrayy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 am

firewires are def not indestructable!!! I donno weather im just one unlucky bloke but ive managed to snap two cleanly in the past 4 months in under 3ft surf.. the 2nd one replaced free of charge and snapped it the other day pullin under the wash at the end of the wave.. SOOOOO DEVO :cry: first and last off the rack board

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:35 am

jayyrayy wrote:firewires are def not indestructable!!! I donno weather im just one unlucky bloke but ive managed to snap two cleanly in the past 4 months in under 3ft surf.. the 2nd one replaced free of charge and snapped it the other day pullin under the wash at the end of the wave.. SOOOOO DEVO :cry: first and last off the rack board
j. What colour was the foam in the skins on the two that snapped?