Pro surfers who don't surf anymore??

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ether
regular

Post by ether » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:42 pm

buzzy wrote: I found it interesting to see Marr's so called insightful knowledge of Board goings on pretty much entirely discredited,
I missed this, when did it happen? Do you have a link? I'd be interested to read it...

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:53 am

Sorry mate, no link. Marr though said words to the effect that he had it on unimpeachable authority that Windshuttle and a couple of others had put an end to the deal, Windshuttle (and others) debunked that directly and Marr hasn't been heard on the point since.

It strikes me that Marr can be pretty casual with the truth when aimed at his those he perceives to be his ideological opponents.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:00 pm

buzzy wrote:Sorry mate, no link. Marr though said words to the effect that he had it on unimpeachable authority that Windshuttle and a couple of others had put an end to the deal, Windshuttle (and others) debunked that directly and Marr hasn't been heard on the point since.

It strikes me that Marr can be pretty casual with the truth when aimed at his those he perceives to be his ideological opponents.
And it strikes me that if the ABC Board really did nobble this book to protect the Queen, then the extent of their power has been proven to be limited.

Yet it's not so much censorship you'd be worried about if you were working on a big mission in the ABC -- it's the lack of backup. It's the dog-whistle: "If this is against our personal interests, no matter how killer or important or potentially valuable or profitable or whatever, we'll nobble it ... so why start?"

wow long way away from the original topic.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:39 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: what a boring thread this has become :shock: :shock: :shock:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Yeah, Nick, I don't dispute that's a construction of events which is open. Equally it is possible the Board bona fide formed the view the cost of a successful defamation case outweighed the commercial value of publication. For my part I'll never really know, and since the book will still be published I don't really care.

I'm involved in a defamation case where our legal costs so far are well over $200,000 and we are nowhere near a Court date. Those costs probably won't be recoverable even if we win. I'm no publishing expert but I'd imagine the projected profit on the Jones book is around $500,000. A big case, even if successfully defended, would eat up much of that in legal fees, and if there's a loss it'll all be gone.

I'm not saying that the decision taken was right. I have no idea. But since there's a decent argument against publication I can hardly say it was wrong either.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:38 pm

buzzy wrote:Yeah, Nick, I don't dispute that's a construction of events which is open. Equally it is possible the Board bona fide formed the view the cost of a successful defamation case outweighed the commercial value of publication. For my part I'll never really know, and since the book will still be published I don't really care.

I'm involved in a defamation case where our legal costs so far are well over $200,000 and we are nowhere near a Court date. Those costs probably won't be recoverable even if we win. I'm no publishing expert but I'd imagine the projected profit on the Jones book is around $500,000. A big case, even if successfully defended, would eat up much of that in legal fees, and if there's a loss it'll all be gone.

I'm not saying that the decision taken was right. I have no idea. But since there's a decent argument against publication I can hardly say it was wrong either.
That's a bummer! Bye bye money.

However, defamation no longer means what it used to in the foul old days, truth is now a clear cut defence and if the ABC's lawyers cleared it after a hundred grand's worth of to'ing and fro'ing, as has been reliably reported, I would tend to think the argument against publication was not based merely on fear of losing large sums of money in court.

It's clearly not a scurrilous bit of muck raking. A truthful book on Alan Jones is profoundly in the public interest given his huge extra-political and media influence and given the fact that he has made a fortune out of trading on his public profile. He has also been quite vicious toward numerous people of less power and influence than himself. Exactly why he is who he is, would this not be fascinating reading? A must-publish for any serious committed publisher of public interest works, in fact?

Far OUT!! Gumby's soo right!

Hamsta

Post by Hamsta » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:09 am

What became of Matt Branson? He and his brother Todd used to tear it up in and out of the water.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:56 am

Whatever, happened to those Maroubra larrakins? The Abbertons I think, they still kicking around?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:10 pm

Chappy Jennings?
Nick Wood?
Gary Green?
Stuart Cadden?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:17 pm

Karlos wrote:Chappy Jennings?
Nick Wood?
Gary Green?
Stuart Cadden?
I thought I read that Nicky Wood had some "personal" problems that have since been resolved.

Unfortunately those issues were not resolved early enough for him to remain a leading pro.

Not sure what he does now.

squidly
Grommet

Post by squidly » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:08 pm

Damn. Nick Wood. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Talented young kid back then.

iliketoboogy
regular

Post by iliketoboogy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Most of them probly have chosen to ride a bodyboard. best decision in life they wouold ever make

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:41 pm

iliketoboogy wrote:Most of them probly have chosen to ride a bodyboard. best decision in life they wouold ever make
Yes, drug addiction, lid riding, and then their genitals fall off.
Next thing you know you're being spotted at Newport in a pair of sluggos.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Daff hanging up Forster way - still surfing.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 pm

Hamsta wrote:What became of Matt Branson?
Matt's living up the coast and working at JS's factory, best glasser in the business.

tube5
Grommet

Post by tube5 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Gary Green works at Jackson's / Caringbah

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:45 pm

Bryce Ellis ??
From the Central Coast. The guy absolutely ripped. ( I think it was 'The Performers' vid shot in Hawaii)

Gary Green was an absolute cack. I reckon he retired too early. I'll always remember his interview when asked - "Did you pull the pud when you were a grom?"
His reply, "like a godamn madman"

Hmmm this beer is good.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 pm

tube5 wrote:Gary Green works at Jackson's / Caringbah
And he still surfs.