Tail pads

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

walrus

Tail pads

Post by walrus » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:50 am

I noticed at the Australian open that not one of the professional surfers that I saw used a tail pad, and yet virtually every shortboard in the lineup on any other day has one, including me. I use one because it gives me a reference point for my back foot that I can feel and it saves on wax, what are your thoughts on this subject?
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours

walrus

Post by walrus » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:27 am

Please excuse the triple post, our web server came back with an "error 504 server not found" on the first two
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:22 am

their sponnos probably said sumthin like "tail pads are out with our target demographic this season, loose em" kinda like how pros a few years back used to surf in white t shirts when every normal dude wore a rashie.

oneangrydaz

Tail Pads

Post by oneangrydaz » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:09 pm

I actually always use one....

But i have just ordered a new board and i am not sure if i want to put one on this or not......

Cant remember what it is like to surf without one?

is there any major difference? or should i save my $50 this time?[/url]

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:47 pm

I haven't used one for years. I don't really like them.

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:47 pm

i always use one too .... and it's because i can feel where my back foot is when i want to line a manouvere up. i also like the gorilla grip ones with the arch bar.

some pro's have their own signature model, so i don't know hwo they are gonna get away without using them in comps .... taj, egan, irons all have their own model.

but then again occy has his own FCS fins set, but always uses set fins!
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:45 pm

none of the pros use the fcs/speeed fins or whatever they promote
no id agree - but not quite. kelly slater very often uses his own fins (though i dont think iv seenhim using them during a WCT heat) but thats coz theyr farken sick fins...
on the other hand..anyone ever seen the mick fanning speedfins adds? the fins on his board are added with a computer it seems. very fake indeed. he doesnt advertise their logos on his boards and his quotes they feature in the adds are a little suss..."speedfins are the best removable fin system iv ever used" now does that sound scripted or what?
also i wonder if he actually HAS used them at all....

Rug
Local

Post by Rug » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:54 pm

I use a tailpad due to getting a sea ulcer on my right foot where my big toe joins my foot a few years ago and if i don't have that little bit of softness (in the tailpad) when my foots there then the stupid ulcer scar gets annoyed and gives me the shits for the next few days.
The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

WiNzA
charger

Post by WiNzA » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:09 pm

ive been surfing for about 3 years and i have only ever surfed with a tailpad when it was on other peoples boards. i reckon they feel weird under my fett, prob coz im not used to using them
it isnt always the fastest or the biggest, rather the most determined

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

walloper
regular

Post by walloper » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:16 pm

Rug wrote:I use a tailpad due to getting a sea ulcer on my right foot where my big toe joins my foot a few years ago and if i don't have that little bit of softness (in the tailpad) when my foots there then the stupid ulcer scar gets annoyed and gives me the shits for the next few days.
So I'm not alone! I get that bastard too, exactly the same spot. And once you've got it you can't get rid of it. My last one lasted two years, even after 6 weeks out of the water thanks to a burst ear drum it came back first surf without a tailpad. I use em religiously now.

Claydoh

Post by Claydoh » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:03 am

The best u can get in my opinion would be a creatures of leisure tailpad , i love them

Claydoh

Post by Claydoh » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:05 am

_cant_touch_this wrote:
none of the pros use the fcs/speeed fins or whatever they promote
no id agree - but not quite. kelly slater very often uses his own fins (though i dont think iv seenhim using them during a WCT heat) but thats coz theyr farken sick fins...
on the other hand..anyone ever seen the mick fanning speedfins adds? the fins on his board are added with a computer it seems. very fake indeed. he doesnt advertise their logos on his boards and his quotes they feature in the adds are a little suss..."speedfins are the best removable fin system iv ever used" now does that sound scripted or what?
also i wonder if he actually HAS used them at all....

Naaa speedfins are actually better than me fcs they are the best performance fins ...tad heavier than the fcs and a lot sharper

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:22 am

no i wasnt talkin about the quality of the speedfins - iv never tried them...i was referring to mick fannings promotion of them along with the lack of use by this certain pro. hes basically being paid a bit extra to do absolutely nothing.

bro
Local

Tail pads

Post by bro » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:14 am

you guys talk alot but you don't see much, Luke Egan has a signature tail pad with Creatures but NEVER rides tail pads, Mick never uses Speed fins, Occy rides FCS exclusively, maybe not his fins but definately the system and Kelly does ride his fins in WCT events, what was Parko riding in the latest Tracks? FCS and Kelly's fins, jeez FCS must be crap if Parko has gone from glass ons to FCS

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:22 am

i happen to notice a lot of what you have just said. L.E does use his tailpads, although not all that regularly. iv watched him in teahupo'o and his boards were fitted out with a creatures tailpad, whether it was his signature model or not, i dont know.
as for parko, iv only ever seen him in 'CT events with glassed in fins. and vary rarely have i noticed him in magazines or vids with a removable system. but i havent seen (or have any intentions of buying) the latest tracks.

true - kellys fins are the shit

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:47 pm

Kelly's fins would want to be the shit for $110!!!!!!!!!!

Personally i would luv to have all my boards with glassed in fins but cause of travel and excess baggage i dont have time for em. FCS pull out all the time for me so on my next board i've gone for the OAM fin system that my shaper has suggested. He just came back from Mentawaiis and said they were great, i hope his optimism isnt unwarranted. Worth a shot anyways in my book.

As for tailpads i reckon creatures r f**ken great. I wont have a normal board without em, saves my rails and tail from caving in as much and is a great reference point for ur foot. The kick is only of use if u pull it up the deck and inch or so, not a huge fan of chunky arch bars though a small one is ok. Bigger boards dont need em as much as the glass is usually a little heavier and u tend to use more of the board so choosing one place for a tail pad would be a little difficult. If u check out kelly in colour he has a tail pad on in the pipe masters from memory.