10%
6'5"
No votes
6'6"
50%

Total votes: 10

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:08 am

I think you need to look at it relative to a guys size, I am 6'4" and I ride a 6'6" which is very much a shortboard to me, But to someone who is 5'9" it would be a semi-gun

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:40 pm

its hard calling sizes,

Im 6'2 and I ride a 6'2 x 18 5/8 x 2 1/4 and i weigh only 75. a mate who is a few inches shorter rides almost the same thing as his shortboard.

ive alwas just called anything under 5'11 - 6' to be short

clinker
Grommet

Re: what is a shortboard

Post by clinker » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:14 pm

fong wrote::?: i'm calling anthing over 6'5"a semi gun. 6' is a shortboard, 6' 2" an all rounder :?: is a fish a shortboard :?: 'cause it is :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
it's not how big your board is it's how you ride it.

Tom Curren ripped on his 5'5'' Tommy Peterson fish

Jim Banks was cranking on a 7'0'' round pin.

Are you surfing better than those guys because your board is 6'2" long instead of 6'3''

don't get too caught up in the specs
free your mind, your surfing will follow

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:16 pm

its good to see we are tackling the fundemental questions in surfing here though, once we establish the true! shortboard size we can flourish as a sport. I suggest anyone riding anything over a 5'5" may as well be riding a mal!

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:11 pm

shape, ya big dummy.

They are called short board because they are shorter than other boards. I don't know the history of surboards (anyone?) but im guessing mals were the first ones made, and then when somebody designed this new small pointy looking board, they called it a short board, for obvious reasons, i.e it was shorter :shock:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:46 pm

macca202 wrote:shape, ya big dummy.

They are called short board because they are shorter than other boards. I don't know the history of surboards (anyone?) but im guessing mals were the first ones made, and then when somebody designed this new small pointy looking board, they called it a short board, for obvious reasons, i.e it was shorter :shock:
Shortboards are about performance and attitude and modernity. They're made for modern, high performance surfing. They're forward-looking in a way that other shapes - funboards, mals, trad fishes - are not. That's why length has little to do with it. Remember Curren's famous, no-logo barrel ride / cutback at Backdoor on a 7'2" Cole back in 1992 (?)? Shortboard surfing at its finest.

Curren also opened people's eyes to the fish, but they forget one thing, and that is that truly gifted can ride anything, and ride it well. As my dad (40+ years in the water, a good surfer) said to me tonight - Nat could've ridden a door and still would've ripped. There was a magazine recently that had Slater actually riding a door (or was it a table?) and made it work.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

C/N

agc
regular

Post by agc » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:01 pm

A semi gun and gun is just a shortboard made for bigger surf.

It has nothing to do with size, because everyones height and weight varies, they will get a board that will perform the best for them to accomodate their weight and height.

I ride a 6'4 x 18 x 2 3/8

Im 6 foot and weigh about 84kg's. This board has been custom shaped for me to accomodate my weight and height and is very loose so i can throw it around on waves. This is my 'shortboard'.
"And the way the rain comes down hard, that's how i feel inside..."

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:34 pm

I'd always thought a shortboard was an under 7' board, a funboard 7' to 8'. A mini mal 8' to 9' and a mal 9' and over.

"Short" means...short. But at the end of the day who cares?

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:44 pm

buzzy wrote:I'd always thought a shortboard was an under 7' board, a funboard 7' to 8'. A mini mal 8' to 9' and a mal 9' and over.

"Short" means...short. But at the end of the day who cares?
not a bad buzzy logic system

sorry for the eningeering joke :oops: