What should I get?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Rude_Beef
regular

What should I get?

Post by Rude_Beef » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:10 pm

I'll be getting a new board soon to replace my worn out 6'2". This time i'm thinking about getting a board with a bit more volume and a bit of a stronger glass job (or perhaps some other covering). I was wondering what anyone would suggest, are there short boards that focus less on performane and more on durability apart from the customs.

The 6'2" is a great board, best so far, but i'm sick of patching the thing up cause it preeety weak. Are there any alternatives out there cause i want this one to last.

Thanks

8)

mudguts
regular

Post by mudguts » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:38 pm

my gunther rohn board takes heap of abuse and is still in top nick.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Re: What should I get?

Post by macca202 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:04 pm

wanto wrote: get a 200kg 9' mal you can take to you're grave
wouldn't that sink?

lovin, it

Post by lovin, it » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:57 pm

invest in a tuff-lite board- ive had so many dings and only one is visible. they are well worth it

Rude_Beef
regular

Post by Rude_Beef » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:45 pm

Yeah I think i'll just get a board with a heavier glass job. And a question, if you get a fairly heavy glass job to you have to sorta even up the floatation with a but more volume?

Ideally I would really like to get a Tuflite but no job and no pocket money isn't going to pay for that. Roughly how much are they anyway, I always assummed about $800.

Also, what about a carbon fibre glass job, anyone had any experiance with those?

Thanks for your help everyone. :D

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi Rude Beef,

Mate a double layer of four ounce on top with an extra four patch won't weigh your board down too much. You could go a four/six combo if you wanted for extra protection and it wouldn't break the bank.

Carbon fibre would break the bank and stiffen the flex patterns, which you may or may not like - and black boards suck, they absorb sunlight, melt wax, overheat etc. You'd need to go to someone who's had some experience with using that material.

Flotation shouldn't be a major problem unless you're riding boards that're right on the edge of being too skinny for you.

TufLite is a good alternative but yes they do cost more and you should trial run one before buying, their carbon-fibrelike flex patterns don't stoke everyone up. Good Luck!

Rude_Beef
regular

Post by Rude_Beef » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:39 am

Yeah, thanks for your help everyone.

I think i've decided on a standars shorty similar to my last, might get a bit more volume through it and go a nice strong glass job. Might even get something 2nd hand, i've seen a few boards around op shops lately that i wouldn't mind having a go on.

Thanks