Modern Planing hulls

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Modern Planing hulls

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I've been thinking about this.
I reckon the best thing to do when exploring these boards for the first time is to keep the fins as neutral as possible. Give yourself time to sus out what the board itself is doing for your surfing. After that, then I reckon you'll be better placed to experiment with fins.
Others may not agree, but that's what makes this all so interesting right?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 pm

For sure - that's what i did with a few i've had, but the sci fi was really fussy. I tried all my usuals, but just found the board was not really drivey enough. Went with quad - it got better, but was shoulder hopping. After many years on quads, i've gone back to thrusters, which seems to be better with the winter waves i surf. After working out i need drivey fins, but not so big they create a sluggish turn, i went with the scarfini mantas. These manta fins are really good. Solid drive, but loose at the lip. They are massive compared to what i normally ride, which is interesting in itself.
Fins can change a board, no doubt, but an expensive R&D experiment.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 am

how does the sci-fi go? i've heard they're quick, but overall a bit neither here nor there. surprised they didn't take off as the new "hypto krypto" (board for the masses)
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 am

Guy I know (very good surfer btw) surfs a sci fi now and then.
Says it's very quick but too wide in the tail for anything except the tiny stuff. He prefers the Omni to the sci fi.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Yeah i keep hearing how wide it is - but compared to some i've ridden, it pales in comparison. I really like it as an all rounder and it goes well in bigger waves too. Not as fast as other boards i've ridden, the CV2 comes to mind, but maybe faster than your average HPSB. I got it because i was completely over the custom experience, where i was burned twice. One ended up being a five month wait, the other the wrong dims. And the response from the shapers was hopeless, so i just went and got something off the racks for a change. I think it works well in winter waves - not sure how it will hold up in spring and early summer, we'll see. It can work from waist high to just overhead and i'm digging it as a thruster. It's been good to go back to surfing more top to bottom and relying on the first bottom turn, rather than lip racing to the shoulder.
Never rode a hypto - so i can't compare, but i think firewire always manage to get a few of their designs at the top of the mass market - this one included. That said, i've only ever seen one in the water down here. It's probably considered just as weird as my other 'weird' boards.
I probably need to get a JS, with a rounded square tail, as i'm pretty keen to see what a typical thruster does these days.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 pm

tootr wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 am
Guy I know (very good surfer btw) surfs a sci fi now and then.
Says it's very quick but too wide in the tail for anything except the tiny stuff. He prefers the Omni to the sci fi.
I'll never get a scifi because of that. The evo is wide enough. And I dont really like surfing shortboards when it's that small.

Surfed the evo after work today in 2ft green hills. Gutless rising tide.
Should've taken the midlength.
Unless you're a 50kg ripper the conditions scream for a bigger Board.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Surfed the EVO out at the point the other morning. 3-4ft full high tide. Bit of power. Had it set up as a quad with PC Carver Large fronts and some shapers core lite rear quads. Didn't enjoy it. Felt skatey. Didn't like it. I've put carver fronts and a large AM rear in the centre box for next time. I reckon this board goes better as a thruster for me.
Had a session in the arvo on my PCC 6'0. Tide was lower and the swell and organised itself a little more. Rode it as a quad with large AM PC fronts and neoglass Performer quad rears. Went insane. I'm a massive fan of the large AM fins. they seem to work for me in anything. I seem to prefer most fins that have a flat inside foil.

I'm going to keep an eye out for 5'7 Omni. Going on the full MPH experience.
Hoping to find one with FCS2 second hand before I head off to PNG in DEC.