Duke Status

Re: Modern Planing hulls

Post by Cranked » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Great review jet
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Sounds like not a huge adjustment either.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Wasn't for mine either. Clicked from wave 1. Tried it as a quad a couple of times, but it was perfect with 3
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Watch it swiv, the wide tail police will be here in a minute shouting that you need four fins on a tail that big. The arseholes
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:12 pm
Watch it swiv, the wide tail police will be here in a minute shouting that you need four fins on a tail that big. The arseholes
There are a few polls on the Firewire forum about the Evo's and fins.
I've read that some punters have had some success with a twin + 1 setup. I never would have thought about putting twins in it.

I'll definitely try it as a quad....but I have my suspicions that it won't stay like that for long.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:38 pm
Sounds like not a huge adjustment either.
We'll see how things go on my next few surfs.
I can't surf tomorrow, and it looks like we're in for a bit of a flat spell from friday.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Bottom turns woulda got me in trouble, gstq. Remember the shit I copped for the sequence I posted?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
Bottom turns woulda got me in trouble, gstq. Remember the shit I copped for the sequence I posted?
Sequence? I posted a video once, I don't know how I was allowed to log on again. I wonder whether the link worked properly as it didn't draw many comments which I found unusual.

Hahaha.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
You must be thinking of someone else swiv :-o
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Yeah, must've :-D-:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 am

JET01 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
I've read that some punters have had some success with a twin + 1 setup. I never would have thought about putting twins in it.

I'll definitely try it as a quad....but I have my suspicions that it won't stay like that for long.
Don't spend too much time over there. Peanut gallery.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:16 pm

batoes wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 am
JET01 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:

Don't spend too much time over there. Peanut gallery.
I'm with you Batoes. I find the quality over there variable. Not many credible opinions. I mainly head over there to read up on sizing and durability issues. Most of the other shit you read is "this board flies", "I make sections i never used to make", this board paddles like a mal" Blah blah Blah. it's good though because there are a few guys my height and weight that are older than me. So I usually use them as a guide. What they ride I know I can go a size or two shorter.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:37 pm

http://youtu.be/ZrYt5t3qalI

Frothing on this.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Had another short session on the Evo after work today. Feels just as good the second time around.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 pm

I've always wanted one but for smaller days. This review peaked my interest a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYxSEfRsKE&t=210s

How small do you think it can handle Jet?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 pm

I'll give it a crack on a small day and get back to you. My gut feel is that with the wide tail and efficient bottom shape, it'll go well in small stuff.

But around here though I normally get on the midlength or longboard in waves that small, I'd rather spend the time learning to nose ride. Especially when it's crowded. I just can't bring myself to compete for small waves on a shortboard.

I reckon the waves in the clip would be the smallest I'd ride any shortboard in, evo included.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 pm

JET01 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 pm
I'll give it a crack on a small day and get back to you. My gut feel is that with the wide tail and efficient bottom shape, it'll go well in small stuff.

But around here though I normally get on the midlength or longboard in waves that small, I'd rather spend the time learning to nose ride. Especially when it's crowded. I just can't bring myself to compete for small waves on a shortboard.

I reckon the waves in the clip would be the smallest I'd ride any shortboard in, evo included.
Thanks Jet. I find Tomo boards pretty sensitive to fins - what are you running in yours?
Took me some time to get the sci-fi right, but ended up with scarfini mantas - works so well.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I've got the fcs2 large AM Pc (blue black and white). Which is what I ride in my normal shorty.

I've just taken the centre fin out and put some AM medium rears (red and white) for my next surf.
Honestly, for the waves I ride, I can't see the need for a quad but will try it anyway.
The guy I bought the board off ride it as a quad so the curiosity is there. If anything it might give me some more confidence to sit a little deeper.
I haven't ridden quads a lot lately. So id take my opinion with a grain of salt.