Modern Planing hulls

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Modern Planing hulls

Post by JET01 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Sounds like an mph would be good for paddle training. The normal 6'0 would paddle like a canoe after a couple of weeks on a harder paddling board.

If it gets too hard to paddle back I'll get off and swim!
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:20 pm

carvin marvin wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:38 am
JET01 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 pm
It's funny. Everytime I think about getting a short (as it sub 6'0) shortboard model, the surf pumps (this arvo at the point was the best I've seen for years. 3-5Ft 16secs south swell barrels), and I realise what a shit paddler I am and how I rely on volume and length to get in. Only made a few drops on the 6'0, was spewing too as I had the 6'2 in the car, but as I was running out of sunlight I didn't go and do the board change.
Maybe I'm better off looking at the SKX rather than the EVO so it's a little more short boardish.
You mention paddling into waves at Cronulla Point.
In the 70's some board makers in the Cronulla area were making a surfboard specifically for catching waves at Cronulla Point.
The theory was to have as much weight in the forward half of the board as possible to make those sucky take offs, they did this by going to the extreme by putting the wide point 3/4 of the way up from the tail.
Seem to recall Peter Glasson even calling them Point boards.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Ive had better success on the 6'8 single over the last couple of days.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:55 am

Picking up a second hand 5'5 LFT evo this week.

Here goes.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Let us know what you think mate.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:29 am

yeah - super keen to hear what you think.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 am

The interest for me is how they all seem (according to reviews) to be good at being fast. Fast boards make up for my deficiency in skill lol. Evo sounds like it's also good for more average style waves. Also a bonus.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:22 pm

If I can get to my feet and get through a few turns on it, I'll be stoked.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm

to be brutally honest here, the MPH are really advanced surfboards for highly skilled surfers and are likely to retard your surfing if you don't fit that category.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm

I realise that Steve, I don't have one.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:59 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm
to be brutally honest here, the MPH are really advanced surfboards for highly skilled surfers and are likely to retard your surfing if you don't fit that category.
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the heads up.

I don't fit into that category at all, far from it. It's too late now as I picked up the board today on my lunch break. i've always liked to try new things, and the benefit of buying second hand is that I won't lose too much cash in the process.

My concerns are that this is the shortest board I've ever ridden and that it wont paddle aswell as my 6'0 of similar rocker and volume. Not that worried though, as worse case will be, my paddling will improve a little and my normal board will feel a bit easier to surf. And I might be $50 out of pocket for the experience.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the heads up.

I don't fit into that category at all, far from it. It's too late now as I picked up the board today on my lunch break. i've always liked to try new things, and the benefit of buying second hand is that I won't lose too much cash in the process.

My concerns are that this is the shortest board I've ever ridden and that it wont paddle aswell as my 6'0 of similar rocker and volume. Not that worried though, as worse case will be, my paddling will improve a little and my normal board will feel a bit easier to surf. And I might be $50 out of pocket for the experience.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:37 am

Yeah I'm a fan of trying different things as well, regardless of if I should or not lol

You'll definately learn something mate. I'm sure it'll be fun

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am

Had a Tomo V4. Admittedly, it was 5'9", but if you take the pointy nose into account it probably fits a 5'4" cut off. I don't consider myself an advanced surfer, but that board was perhaps the best shorty I've ever had. Paddled better than I expected too. If my shoulder wasn't so fcuked, I'd have stayed on that path. Can't imagine them being any good at all with extra foam. Excepting the fragility of it (hand-shaped poly), everything aspect of the shape worked in sync with the way I surfed
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm taking a big bite that's for sure. Maybe more than I chew.
30.5L lowest volume by a mere .5L
5'5 shortest by an inch. Had a few waves on a 5'6 webber mini fish. Never really gave it a proper chance as the super flat rocker wasn't my cup of tea.
Hopefully get in tomorrow arvo.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 am

JET01 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 pm
I'm taking a big bite that's for sure. Maybe more than I chew.
30.5L lowest volume by a mere .5L
5'5 shortest by an inch. Had a few waves on a 5'6 webber mini fish. Never really gave it a proper chance as the super flat rocker wasn't my cup of tea.
Hopefully get in tomorrow arvo.
Just put your head down & paddle hard Jet, be confident and you ll surprise yourself. Go hard for an hour & if you get tired switch to the 6'8 single fin. Enjoy & report back!
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am

you should be fine.

I've shaped and ridden heaps of similar style ones. I love the evo style for 1-3ft surf. Anything with a bit more power i preferred my older vanguard style one, as you get more bite in the tail with the swallow.

i'm normally around 5'9 and 90kg, and ride 5'4 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/2 around 31-32 L. recently my weight weight up near 100 after 6 months out of the water with injuries, and admittedly 5'4 @ 32L was a handful to paddle and catch waves with that weight and thickness, but was still fine once I was on the wave.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am

on another note - due to the parallel outline, they ride a LOT longer than a conventional shape. So don't be afraid to go super short.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 pm

I had a quick surf during the lunch break. 3-4ft at Cronulla point, ssw wind.
5'5 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2 30.5L Firewire Evo.

Initial thoughts, and my level of skill won't require much more of an update
on this "review"

Fast, the thing's fekking fast.

Paddling: Flat water - Board didn't seem to paddle as well as my 6'0 when I jumped in off the rocks, but once I warmed up and found the sweet spot, there was a slight improvement, but there definitely is a difference. That will help improve my paddling so I'm not too fussed for now.
Into waves: surprisingly I didn't dig my nose or go over the falls on a single take off. Could be the new board stoke at play here. I find I never seem to fall off a new board. Either way, I was happy not to stack it.

I noticed the extra tail width, which I reckon made the board feel really stable. At 19.5 wide, this is the narrowest board I've ever ridden (only by a 1/4"). Getting the back foot on the tail pad on a board this short is really important, and I'm looking forward to this having a positive effect on my surfing. I think all the time I've spent on midlegths and singles has helped a few bad habits creep in i.e my pop up finds me too far forward.
Also with such a wide squarish tail, I reckon this helps on bottom turns. I found that my speed heading back up towards the top of the wave was a lot faster than usual.

The other thing that really stands out was the sensation of being so high on the water's surface. Planing hull indeed. I was planing big time. Especially when I had to get down the line to make it through the shitty middle section between 1st and 2nd reef that often closes out at low tide on a S swell.

Volume: didn't seem to notice the drop from my poly 31.3L to the LFT 30.5L. Will be interesting to see how this goes in smaller waves. One of my big concerns put to bed.

Fins: Shapers core light ML (two tab) fronts with a large AM centre fin. The guy I bought the board from had it set up as a quad with one of those Darc drive centre nubster things and forgot to put the centre fin in the bag, so naturally it's in the mail. I wasn't game to have the first surf on a quad. I will later on. Just because I had some spare, I've put some Neo Glass Medium performers in the board for the next surf. Fins are a tiny bit smaller. ( No reason, just being a gear nerd, couldn't deal with the FCS1 fins in the FCS2 boxes when I had a spare set laying around.)

Did a few decent swoopy turns. Initially it seems the board had enough hold, enough drive through turns, and didn't slide out as I didn't really push too hard on any turns.

Shape: I liked not having so much board in front of me. Almost felt like I was whizzing around on a magic carpet. I did notice the difference in swing weight, which I had previously not given any thought. My back's a bit dodgy, but the short length didn't seem to bother it. I even like the shape of the nose for general in-water handling.

Initially I'd have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Enough float, enough paddle, feels very positive off the bottom, and was a different feel to a board with normal single to double concave.

It's a keeper at this stage.