FORHARD RIO ADVISE PLEASE

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

simonoxenham
regular

FORHARD RIO ADVISE PLEASE

Post by simonoxenham » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeh im an alright surfer not that good, just after a bit of advice. I'm just wondering how you do a forward rio.

I'm a bit undecided as to the right technique.

One theory is that you bottom turn up the wavethe power of the lip will snap your board back down the wave

The other theory is that you turn up that wave and just smash the board back down the wave using your back leg.

If you do agree with the second theory how do i improve my technique of smashin the lip. I don't seem to have the reflexes to be able to do that.

How do i develop that side of my surfing

PS sorry for the way i've written this. Its a fu(ken mess but it was really hard to explain

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:20 pm

Hey Simon,

Get Nick Carroll's "How to Surf Your Best." Most newsagents should carry it, and if not, contact Morrison Media, the publisher, in QLD. They'll sort you out (as will the book)

cheers,

Col.

ps: your typing and/or spelling is atrocious! What the hell is a "forehard rio"? :wink:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:37 am

Depends on the wave and how good your timing is. Sometimes I'll bottom turn and aim for the lip and expect to just get pushed back around but the lip has no power or my timing's out so I need to stomp on the backfoot to bring it back around. Other times you haven't got as much speed as you like and the lip is pitching so you crank it round at the top 'coz otherwise you'll just get smashed.

So, both ways are good and it depends on the wave and you. And I've also found some boards snap back off the lip better than others.