Leggie Length

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

walrus

Leggie Length

Post by walrus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:36 pm

For a shortboard, what is the ideal length of leg rope, and why? I know it depends on the conditions and board length, but what is the rule of thumb?
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours

walrus

Post by walrus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:02 pm

uther wrote:If you are riding a mal or gun, you want the leash as long as possible. Generally shorter the board/smaller the surf the shorter the leg rope. I think that's right.
Thanks uther, I'm after a bit more detail, something like "the length of your board plus 6 inches per foot of swell" or something along those lines if you get my meaning.
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours

Dolphin63
Grommet

Post by Dolphin63 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Comes down to preferences.
Most NSW shortboarders would use 6' on normal board and 8' on gun.

I use 8' on short board and 10' on gun. Longer and thicker legropes do drag a bit more but I'm quite tall and find that the 6' legropes keep the board too close to me when surfacing. The trade off with closer to to you is further from others. A 10' legrope on a 10' board is 20' radius.

If you type 'Longer and thicker' into a search engine you won't get much info on legropes.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:57 pm

I have always used a 2m leggie in all sized waves, and when it has gotten quite solid (8'+), I have really wished I hadn't been so tight and not bought a longer leggie. Over 6' (surf), you should really think about grabbing something longer than the usual 2m O+E you use all Summer.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:58 am

That's it, use the leggie to suit the swell and board size, big waves bigger leggie, shorter board, shorter leggie. Its all on the packaging.