Help: DHD Double Shot + DHD Sweet Spot ??

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brukuns

Help: DHD Double Shot + DHD Sweet Spot ??

Post by brukuns » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:30 am

Hey guys,

I got rid of 2 older boards and kept a versatile 6'1'' which has good paddle.

I plan to get a small wave board for the easiest paddle possible on 1 to 4ft waves. As soon as I get this board and get a feel for it, I plan to sell my current 6'1'' which I think is a bit stiff, and get a board better suited for when the waves have more punch to it, 4ft and up, or whenever it's hollower.

I thought of getting the DHD Double Shot as a groveler, and the DHD Sweet Spot as my go to board when the waves are pumping.

Anyone ever surfed on of these boards? I'm pretty settled on the Double Shot, but not so sure about the sweet spot. I love the description, being able to paddle early in hollow waves seems to be just what I need, as well as the control for overhead days... My only concern is that it seems to be marketed for when it's big... but I want to surf it when it's not so big as well, and I don't know anyone that knows this board to ask how it performs in smaller surf, or even not so hollow waves.

If anyone know about any of these boards I would love some input.

Also, would it make sense to get a LCD Chubby Chedda instead of the Double Shot? But the board needs to be the easiest paddle possible, even in mush.

Thanks!

Natho
barnacle

Re: Help: DHD Double Shot + DHD Sweet Spot ??

Post by Natho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am

Very hard to answer without knowing how you surf. As an example what level of skill do you have?
Keep in mind a model like the Sweet Spot was designed for Mick Fanning. He just happens to surf pretty well.
One tip would be not to get too caught up in the marketing spiel or brand names for that matter. Board makers are continually bringing out new models to sell more boards. It used to be that one board did the job for most people in 90% of waves. Now everyone wants a board for this and a board for that. The board companies know this hence all the board models out there just to confuse you more. Go and actually feel some boards out. If you are not sure then save your coin and go a good second hand board. That way if you don't like it you can get your money back rather than blowing big coin on a new stick you are not sure about.

It’s a bit like asking should I get a bag of Fantails or a bag of strawberry and creams? Everyone will have their own opinion based on what they like.
Goodluck.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm an intermediate surfer, probably on the low end of the scale.

Working mostly on my cutbacks, and trying to figure out some snaps. I'm in that point when you just realized what's it all about, and you can actually figure out what areas you need to improve.

I surf mostly waist high to slightly overhead beach breaks... sometimes mushy, and some other times hollow, but not too hollow.

I want to increase my wave count, so the board must be a good paddler. Also I'm over stiff boards that are only about drive. That's why I'm looking into the Double Shot, wide, super easy paddle, and loose. The sweet spot is for whenever the surf is bigger, so it has more hold.

I know the Sweet Spot was made by Mick Fanning, but it's supposedly a board that's easy to paddle into hollower waves, and I can definitely related to that. I've also heard lots of positive comments about the board.

I thought about just getting one all around board... but let's be honest, an all around board won't be the best wave catcher when it's 2-3ft... so I thought about getting a groveler, which will be optimal and will increase my wave count in these conditions up to head high... but it just won't work in overhead or just hollow surf, that's why need a board that can handle that. The Sweet Spot caught my eye.

Initially just the groveler... but then I wanna get rid of my current board and get a better all rounder.

I think I just need to be clear that my local shaper works with DHD quite closely, that's why I'm mostly sticking to their designs. Still, DHD is awesome in its own right.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 pm

ok just hang 5. Im sure someone will be on soon to recommend a Hypto Krypto. Or some Geoff McCoy thing. Or some $2000 custom bonzer/ retro twin :-o or something.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm

If ur a low end intermediate surfer wanting an all round board to perform well for ur ability and a bit more - then troll on gumtree for a miller water skate or v skate second hand. Dont get anything too short or too flat and fish shaped. U at least want some length and rocker.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 pm

doesn't matter what you ride as long as it's got enough volume to catch waves. What you ride isn't going to make you surf better.

It's far more important that you spend more time surfing.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Why not do the ebay thing?

Try as many cheap second handers as u can. Sell 'em if u don't like 'em.

Then buy a new one of whatever works for you.

Guarantee you'll find some good boards that some bloke has been convinced to buy in some wanky shop/ mag ad/'what slater rides etc.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 pm

seriously a seven S fish looks like it would be perfect.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 pm

if you are a semi beginner which is how I read intermediate on the low end of the scale ? You don't need two boards.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 am

Not so much of a kook. I've been surfing for a while, but I struggle with my wave count.

I've been ordering custom boards for a while now, I won't go back to getting used ones. I've been held back for so long because of bad equipment that wouldn't get me into waves. I learned surfing on regular HPSB, and I hate fish type designs, I don't like how they ride.

That's why I'm thinking about the Double Shot. Do you guys know this board? It's nothing like a fish.

It's super wide and thick, a 5'11''has almost 35lt on it. Supposedly super easy paddle, and very high performance. That's what precisely I want. But it won't work well if it's overhead, and I do surf overhead waves, that's why I need another board. plus, the super wide outline may help catch mushy waves, but it doesn't help to "break the ledge" on hollower surf, so a second board with different characteristics would be ideal. I already have a 6'1'', but it's too stiffso I'm thinking about switching to the Sweet Spot for 4ft+ surf.

What I want to know most is if the Sweet Spot will work in mushy waves as well as hollow waves. If I go out with the Sweet Spot when it's mushy it's because it's big.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 am

i didn't say you're a kook i said you're a beginner. If you're having trouble getting waves, get fitter become a better paddler and maybe get a board with a bit more volume. Ive been surfing for over 30 years and I have 1 board I ride in pretty much everything from tiny to 6 foot and its a standard hpsb. It's just really well shaped.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 am

I got that. but to be honest I think I'm past being a beginner. I'm just another one of those guys that have been surfing for over a decade, but have trouble evolving...

Main reason is because I live 1 hour away from the nearest break... so no surfing during the week. second, I live in Brazil, the land of no point breaks and no reef breaks. It's hard to keep working on your turns when every wave consists of 2 pumps and closeout... That's why wave count is so important. If I was surfing a decent point break, I would get much more surfing out of each take off.

So far all of my boards were all rounders... but I think that´s a problem in some conditions. A super easy mush paddler won't be so easy on a hollower wave... and a board that's meant to be surfed when there's more punch won't shine when it's fat...

I was always a 2 board guy... but they were always 2 all rounders, one of them being old. So I would end up only surfing one board, and the other was there just in case I broke the main board... so I have a board while the other one is on repairs.

So I will get the Double Shot, which is meant to be surfed in mushy, smaller waves. and I'll keep my current all rounder. As soon as I feel I got my feet on the Double Shot, I thought about selling my current board (I have mixed feeling about it), I will sell my all rounder, and get another all rounder, but thinking about the opposite conditions the Double Shot will be used for. Punchier waves, hollower (no pipeline for me), and up to 7ft.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 am

mate I don't own an all rounder whatever that is. look I have experience with the LSD chubby cheddar. I like it. that's all I can offer I'm afraid.
are you aware that the majority of surfing around the world is done in exactly the conditions you describe . even people who live in areas with renown point breaks mostly surf beach break style waves. no one surfs mainly reefs as they are notouriously fickle and only work in certain conditions. the majority of the top pros grew up surfing shit waves.

a chubby cheddar style of board of whatever brand would work in all the conditions that an intermediate or even better surfer would find themselves in.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 am

correct.

and there's no way on God's Earth a six one could be too stiff. Maybe you need to learn some proper turning technique.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 am

Brukuns I intersted to know why you find getting a custom is so much better?

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

stick with the Double shot or anything like it really mate, it'll go well in pretty much all conditions. Even if it's 6ft and steep you'll easily be able to paddle into those waves with that volume. I wouldn't bother with the HPSB or anything like the sweet spot, it's just way too advanced and you'll find it harder to turn and less forgiving on turns due to the more 'pro' like outline.

Also getting into hollower waves is usually more about positioning and paddle power rather than what board you're riding. You could even slater'esque it up and change the double shot to a quad for when you're after more drive and hold in larger waves.

Or just get a HS Hypto Crypto and you'll be set.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 am

Andy2476, So you're familiar with the Chubby Chedda? I'm really thorn between the CC and the Double Shot. the only reason I started considering the Double Shot over the Chubby Chedda is because it seems the Double Shot is a champ paddler, plus it can be ridden as a quad and as a thruster.

But how good does the Chubby Chedda catch waves? And does it prefer mushier or punchier surf? I'd appreciate any input.

Steve Shearer, I think the reason I feel my board is too stiff, because before that board, I was riding a ProII, which is basically a high performance Shortboard, also 6'1''. It was way thinner and narrower than my current 6'1''. My current 6'1'' is a Buddy-X from Surf Prescriptions. It's one of those hybrids that you're supposed to surf at least 3 inches shorter than a HPSB, and I should have gotten it a 5'10''or 5'11''. That, plus the difference from my previous HPSB made it more apparent. I did adjust my surfing putting my back foot further back, but I still miss the looser feel from my ProII, much easier to turn.

Natho, I didn't express myself well. When I said Custom, I actually meant getting new boards meant for me. I spent several years of my life getting my cousin's super old, used boards... That held me back for a while, specially because I was 14 years old and he was 31... not much of a resemblance...

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:03 am

Hey Jaytee, thanks. That's really reassuring. I will probably stick with Double Shot. But I will still want to replace my other board, why not get a board with a different feel, meant for slightly different waves (bigger, hollower, but like I said, no pipeline or puerto escondido)?

I agree that a board similar do the DD should be the priority though.