Help: DHD Double Shot + DHD Sweet Spot ??

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Help: DHD Double Shot + DHD Sweet Spot ??

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 am

You're not deciding if you should marry some chick, it's a surfboard. Just pick one. You won't know if it's any good unless you try it. People on the other side of the world can't tell you if it'll work for you. It sounds like you really want the double shot, and are looking for confirmation. Just do it.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am

yeah, I guess what I want to know the most by someone who surfed the Double Shot, is how far you can surf it. head high? slightly overhead? can it handle head high hollow waves?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 am

re the chubby chedda . I have had one for a while and really enjoyed it. I can't compare it to any other board, actually I have no opinion about any other brand of board as apart from a few flirtatious with Greg webber , Luke short's are the only boards I've ridden for nearly 15 years or so . I didn't even know what a hypto krypto was till about 2 weeks ago.

look this is why I don't post in this section. bloke asks a question people come in with their advice and he does his own thing anyway. nobody's got time for that. especially me, I'm a busy man. I've got some discussions happening in the just stuff thread. I'm trying to remember what I listened to today and what I ate. I'm really digging my pooing at the moment, so I'll probably have to head over to that thread, I've got a really great anecdote I wann share in the movie thread I'm snowed under.

I'd like to see the general surf section replaced by the ask Carroll thread. he can handle all these queries then leave the important work to us blokes down in the tangents.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Andy2476 spreading the gospel.
andy2476 wrote:re the chubby chedda . I have had one for a while and really enjoyed it. I can't compare it to any other board, actually I have no opinion about any other brand of board as apart from a few flirtatious with Greg webber , Luke short's are the only boards I've ridden for nearly 15 years or so . I didn't even know what a hypto krypto was till about 2 weeks ago.

look this is why I don't post in this section. bloke asks a question people come in with their advice and he does his own thing anyway. nobody's got time for that. especially me, I'm a busy man. I've got some discussions happening in the just stuff thread. I'm trying to remember what I listened to today and what I ate. I'm really digging my pooing at the moment, so I'll probably have to head over to that thread, I've got a really great anecdote I wann share in the movie thread I'm snowed under.

I'd like to see the general surf section replaced by the ask Carroll thread. he can handle all these queries then leave the important work to us blokes down in the tangents.
Andy for Moderator. 3-)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:08 pm

If you are a semi competent surfer but you live an hour from the beach and only surf weekends you will honestly be better off riding a mini mal. Seriously. Try one and be honest with yourself. I recommend a foamie because nobody will take you seriously and you'll be able to steal waves from under their noses and basically get way with murder.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm

no Mini Mals for me. I'm 31, been surfing shortboards for all my life. I just need to find the perfect balance between performance and paddle laziness. I don't surf everyday, but I surf as most as I can and do a lot of swimming and other exercise to stay fit. I just want some help for that wave entry, it's been too crowded lately... need to be able to take off earlier. But I'll stay as close as possible to HPSB as I've always been.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Simon Anderson mollusc 6'2 to 6'4. Google it
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

brukuns wrote:. I just want some help for that wave entry, it's been too crowded lately... need to be able to take off earlier. But I'll stay as close as possible to HPSB as I've always been.
Get a longer board. Surface area is just as important as floatation/volume for getting into waves earlier. Also if you're surfing sloppy waves look for a board that vee-s on nose entry. Again google it
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Fcuk, iggy, you're looking after this bloke

What's the bet he gets the 2 DHDs from his 1st post?

I reckon he should get a Hypto Krypto
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Hatchnam, I checked the Mollusc, but the design doesn't appeal to me. Plus I can't find that model around these parts.

As for the Vee in the nose, my buddy-x has that, I'm not really fond of it, not sure why... I just don't like how the board handles, although I did get used to it and have a lot of fun. I realized I should stick with HPSB like designs, only add more float... that's the feel I like in a board.

As for the length, I agree... but there are designs meant to be smaller, like the Double shot... too wide, too thick... can't be too long or it won't turn. I'll make sure my step up board is longer though, around 6'3''.

swvic, why the hating? What if I end up getting these boards? I'm looking for an opinion on these boards from people who've actually ridden them, I'm not looking for other board suggestions (although I definitely appreciate anyone who tried to help by offering a model they think will work for me). So far the only person who seem to have ridden a Double Shot said I should go for it.

Plus, I don't think I'll get the Sweet Spot, just the Double Shot.

Matticus Finch, I don't know how close my local shaper works with DHD, all I know is they they work with DHDs, that's enough for me.

Thanks to everyone who is not trolling around.

regular

Post by 8 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 am

If you live in Brazil you can get around 8 custom boards shaped for the price of one DHD. Go do that. Find a local shaper and take him info on all the boards you want he can make you some quivery goodness. Get some bigger ones made too for old mate Justin, he might find them enjoyable.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:57 am

Hey 8,

that's actually precisely what I'm doing. the guy knows the shapes, if I ask any DHD shape that's exactly the design I'll get, without the DHD logo.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:59 am

It's not that cheaper, but it will cost almost half of what an actual DHD would cost. First time trying this shaper, heard very good things about him.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:57 am

sounds like you got it sorted.

what sort of waves you ride over there?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 am

mate anything from a popular shaper will be pretty lively and fast even with more volume, step a) get into waves (volume) b) step 2 pop up in a secure foot position with foot on back pad (stability = width) c) turn ( not to flat as suggested but ensure you have a big sweet spot under your feet). Probably a v skate or 7S or something meat and potatoes (not to much concave under the chest etc..)....if you chose the other thing great...but it will take you double the time to advance your surfing...surfing time and wave counts improve not the board (as someone said). Great walking down the beach with an advanced board but no one cares what your riding in the water unless your getting lots of waves.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 am

I think you should get the DHD double shot. If you get the DHD double shot it'll be better than the DHD sweet spot. Also, the DHD double shot is good for the waves you're surfing. The DHD double shot should paddle pretty good and surf pretty good. The DHD sweet spot might not suit you. Get the DHD double shot.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 am

So basically what he is saying is he has a shaper contact who will happily rip off a DHD design and stick another logo on the board?.

I know plenty of shapers who can't think for themselves will rip off another design to a t, but I myself would be avoiding such shapers. If they are not capable of coming up with their own design for you then they can't be that good. Nothing wrong with a shaper being influeneced by another design, but ripping a design off 100% would indicate someone who is just a board manufacturer, not a shaper in the true sense.

brukuns

Post by brukuns » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 am

Beerfan, I will get the Double Shot, for sure. I was thinking about the Sweet Spot as my second board. If I get one, or any similar to it, it will be after I got the DS.

Natho, in a sense you are right. But the guy makes his owns designs. and it's not like he's advertising it or anything. I asked him if he would be able to replicate that board, and he said yes. I asked him, will it be exactly like that board? and he said yes... of course it won't have DHD glass job, and the materials are probably different. but it will be a good board for nearly half the price. This is not a guy who is saying anywhere they they can replicate designs, it's was a personal request, and turned out he will do it. He is not naming the design or anything.

But I agree with you... however the dollar is getting too expensive and everything surf related got ridiculously pricey here in Brazil... I took advantage of the opportunity, a happy coincidence, as I'll get the design I want for a pretty feasible price.