Shortboard Sizing

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

FLSurf

Shortboard Sizing

Post by FLSurf » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Hello, I am looking to get a shortboard that would work well with the beaches around Sydney (I got an Internship for June-July :-D-: ). I am 5'10 150lbs (68kg). I have been surfing for a couple years and I am pretty decent overall. I currently ride a 5'10 quad fish for mushy Florida waves, but was looking for something that would work well with bigger, steeper waves. I have ridden a friend's 5'11, 6'0, 6'4 shortboards and feel really comfortable with them in the right conditions (6'4 seems too big tho).

What should I look for? Like, shape, concave, thickness, etc..?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

BA
Duke Status

Re: Shortboard Sizing

Post by BA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Your fish would be fine if you're coming to the Northern Beaches. We get plenty of mushy Florida-type waves.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:27 pm

just get a hypto krypto, 5'8
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:47 pm

:lol:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Braithy wrote::lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:57 pm

That sounds like a perfect board tbh

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Get two of them.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm

depends what you mean by 'big and steep'.
Sydney beach breaks in general don't get big and steep or even steep or even big all that often.

Go a good second hand board would be my advise. Then you can sell it if it doesn't suit you or before you leave.

For average Sydney waves a tiny bit more width and flatter rocker can work well however very hard to comment on exact boards without anyone seeing you surf. Also you are coming off a fish. If you really want to improve your surfing then get off the fish as much as possible would be my advise. Fish boards while fun can make you a lazy surfer and give a flase impression that you are surfing well. In fact I see very few people surfing well on such boards. Sydney waves are not suited that well to more traditional fish boards, which are designed for long long walls rather than the short peaky waves we get. For Sydney you are better off on a board that can change direction quickly IMO.

FLSurf

Post by FLSurf » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 am

Thank for the advice. I do get what you mean by a fish board making me lazy. It was my first board & i probably use it too much. I think the airline allows me to bring a board bag, so ill plan on bringing two boards. I have a 6'4 thruster i could bring, but its really thick and not the easiest to turn sharp. Do you think a wider board under 6'0 would work well? About what specs should I look for?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:35 pm

June and July?

Fcuk, mate, winter in Sydney is gonna freak out a Floridian no end. You got no idea what you're getting into. Surf anywhere from 2' to 10'+, reefs, cold winds, heavy beachies, wetsuits. Get a board here, not there; the US dollar will work in your favour, and Sydney's one of the great surfboard design capitals of the world.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:35 pm

I tell ya what FL. When you book your flights get a stop over in Hawaii. Enjoy a bit of relaxation then while you are at it you can pick up ol Natho a Rawson or Bushman while you are there. Bring it with you then I will sort you out at the other end with a nice board for Sydney waves. Sound like a deal? :-)(

FLSurf

Post by FLSurf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 am

Nick Carroll wrote:June and July?

Fcuk, mate, winter in Sydney is gonna freak out a Floridian no end. You got no idea what you're getting into. Surf anywhere from 2' to 10'+, reefs, cold winds, heavy beachies, wetsuits. Get a board here, not there; the US dollar will work in your favour, and Sydney's one of the great surfboard design capitals of the world.
Sounds great :-D-:
Natho wrote:I tell ya what FL. When you book your flights get a stop over in Hawaii. Enjoy a bit of relaxation then while you are at it you can pick up ol Natho a Rawson or Bushman while you are there. Bring it with you then I will sort you out at the other end with a nice board for Sydney waves. Sound like a deal? :-)(
I wish I could make it to Hawaii first, but i'm already stretching my bank account to its limit lol