Step up boards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Step up boards

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Next year Im getting another board. Is going to be a 6'8 pulled in round tail, close to a pin as you can get. Havent thougth to much bout width at the moment as its a year away. Was going to stick to the tried and true thruster though I truly love quads, yer fong, don't think quads are dead, lol.

Tighten up the cluster of quads with smaller fins and channels, haaaa, bloody channels.

Aside from those thoughts just wondering if anyone out there riding quad step up boards and how do you find em instead of thrusters. Not really talking bout standard hp boards by the way.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

tonka79
regular

Re: Step up boards

Post by tonka79 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 am

I'm also looking at getting a new step-up next year, probably rocking a quad fin set up so would be interested to hear other people's thoughts as well. Won't be going for a very near pin... more like a traditional rounded pin... not too long either, maybe 6'1.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:36 am

I think it depends on what type of waves you want to surf. I like both but my own personal opinion is as follows:

- Quad seems to hold in a bit better in steeper waves and gives you a bit more speed in a stright line eg. through the barrell or when racing down the line. So if you are surfing fast down the line waves or full on tubes like chopes then a quad can be good.
- Thruster seems to be better when surfing top to bottom and turning more tightly. Thruster also seems a bit more predictable which can be a good thing when surfing bigger or better waves. A rounded pin on a thruster will still allow the board to hold in on steeper, faster waves if the board is designed correctly.

A quad can still be a good option however i think a thruster opens up a few more options all round. Also my own experience is that there is more risk with a quad in getting a not so good board unless you go with someone highly experienced in step up quads. Again just my opinion.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:25 pm

yer, cheers natho, thanks for ya thoughts on the matter mate. Wil be interesting to hear others as well hopefully

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:00 am

I'd generally go quad to get more extension, I.e. make it surf like a board a bit longer.
If you are going a long skinny pintail it will already surf fairly straight and 'long' so go thruster to keep it a bit loose.

My daily is a 5'10 quad with a widish tail. Can be surfed up to 6ft steeper waves with bigger fins
Board for 4-6+ range is a 6'4" single but with a fair bit of volume for point break paddling
For 8+ is a narrow round tail thruster

I'm 6' and 75kg. Good paddler shit surfer

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Im still on the subject of a step up board, havent got it yet, but I know I will need it for the west coast.

Im ruling out a thruster and have also thrown into the mix a 2+1 step up rounded pin.

Not sure, still researching, wont be on the west coast for a bit yet. Anyone here got a 2+1 as a step up. At 48 im not bashing the lip on solid surf anymore, just enjoying the speed and power and drawing nice as lines as possible.

138cfh

Post by 138cfh » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 am

fongss wrote:Consider taking it back too basics digger.

A 6'10 channel bottom single
:arrow:

byrningspears.com.au/ab-fins-produced-by-fcs/

Singles are well underated..... in good surf they go unreal

Go away cnut! :twisted:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Digger, 2+1 in bigger surf great, check these fin specs out very usual I think, also read the comments below for some bottom shape guidance

http://nealpurchasedesigns.blogspot.com ... 5.html?m=1

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

G'day mate, I got a step up 6'8 about 6-8 months ago and asked my shaper to include the 5 fin set up, so you can have the best of both worlds.

In my experience, the quad works well on my back hand and on faster waves. It seems that for me I can throw my board on my backhand harder than on my front side.

Also when paddling and right at that moment where I start to pick up speed and get on my feet, it feels the quad picks up more speed vs thruster.

Another one is that it "hangs on" to the face of the wave a bit more on steep take offs.

However I am not saying it is better than a 3 fin set up, the 3 fin set up allows quicker directional changes so depends on the wave you are riding.

I also love the release of the quad out of turns including cut backs, however on some waves the quad can be to fast and you can leave behind the steep section of the wave too fast.

get it 5 fin and do some testing and you will have a great time testing and working on your surfing,

cheers

JON

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Board is ordered. A six ten rounded pin. Making this one a bit heavier than my last board. six clinkers with the McKee five fin set up closer to middle than rails. I decided on the quad as that is what I mainly ride. I will swap and ride it as a thruster when waves hollow and I want to stall, apart from that will just ride it as a quad. I intend to really enjoy the process of the board being made and follow it closely. The process for me and the stoke in waiting is almost as enjoyable as getting it in my hands.

The whole decision process on what to do took time, lots of discussion, you don't get that sort of involvement when buying it straight from the racks.
Last edited by diggerdickson on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 am

Got myself a Campbell bros 6'7 Bonzer courtesy of Tootr for those winter swells. Havent taken it out yet but it looks mighty fine.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 pm

That thing is well suited to winter groundswells. Great paddler, heaps of drive and hold. The board would almost "surf itself" and be very predictable.

But still, to get a feel for it (sooner rather than later) you should still take it out on some smaller days.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Yep, agree with that. Next swell that comes through I will take it for a ride.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:53 pm

looks very nice Tonks. If you don't like it those dims are perfect for me.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Nice Derailed

How's the bottom curve on that Burton

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Nice board Tonks but step-up to what?

6"1" is still a tiny board. What kind of surf is it for?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 pm

a 6'2" in 6-8ft surf????

that sounds tiny to me unless you're Kelly Slater
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:56 pm