regular

Re: The Tomo rip-off ride report

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:22 pm

having lots of fun on mine.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 am

Now that you guys have been surfing them for a little while..

The nose! Now c'mon, does that ugly rectangle really have any advantage over an egg nose, rounded nose, etc?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:43 am

Be interested to see how Reynolds rides a Tomo. Curren da man, look at the swooping bottom turn in that muck at around 42 secs, pretty damn good, speed from the Tomo helped maybe/possibly/for sure...what do the Tomo riders think.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Now that you guys have been surfing them for a little while..

The nose! Now c'mon, does that ugly rectangle really have any advantage over an egg nose, rounded nose, etc?
i think it does:
- increased rail length / effective edge - allows the board to be ridden shorter than if it was a round nose
- less unnecessary material in the nose for the length
- allows the tri plane or deep concave countour right up to the nose
- i feel it pearls less than a round nose

and aesthetics are personal - but i think given the straight outline and straight lines in the tail design, the triangle/rectangle nose actually looks better than what a round nose does on most of them.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 am

Any of you guys surfing these things spent much time snowboarding or wakeboarding?
How do they compare?

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 pm

alakaboo wrote:Any of you guys surfing these things spent much time snowboarding or wakeboarding?
How do they compare?
yes i have spent a lot of time snowboarding. in fact too much snowboarding a few years back ruined my surfing style. they don't really compare at all to snowboarding. totally different dynamics and body movements. snowboarding you centralise your weight and let the radius of the rail turn for you, surfing you still drive off your back foot.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 pm

For those that are experimenting with this shape, hows these things go in mediocre surf , stuff with not allot of push , or real short section(y) type surf like your everyday beachie ???

All the footage is at long walling points with rippers tearing it to pieces , and I've never seen any avg punter riding one in the surf as yet.

Tah

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:54 pm

I meant in deep powder. Appreciate the response, though.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm

DV8 wrote:For those that are experimenting with this shape, hows these things go in mediocre surf , stuff with not allot of push , or real short section(y) type surf like your everyday beachie ???

All the footage is at long walling points with rippers tearing it to pieces , and I've never seen any avg punter riding one in the surf as yet.

Tah
The ones I've surfed go really well in smaller waves because all the planing area and straight rail always contribute to a lot of lift and drive. Rather than having to go bigger in volume to achieve enough lift to surf smaller waves, the straight rail and planing area do it for you. You can surf about 2L less volume than you normally would and not have any problems with catching waves or keeping speed in small waves.

Volume is more about paddling from A to B with these boards, but once you're paddling near a wave and then up and riding the lift from the shape takes over from the volume.

If you get the sizing and rocker right you still have all the freedom to turn in tight spots too. Get it too long for your height or too flat rockered, then there might be a risk it'll prefer surfing in straight lines and hard to fit into small waves.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
DV8 wrote:For those that are experimenting with this shape, hows these things go in mediocre surf , stuff with not allot of push , or real short section(y) type surf like your everyday beachie ???

Tah
The ones I've surfed go really well in smaller waves because all the planing area and straight rail always contribute to a lot of lift and drive. Rather than having to go bigger in volume to achieve enough lift to surf smaller waves, the straight rail and planing area do it for you. You can surf about 2L less volume than you normally would and not have any problems with catching waves or keeping speed in small waves.

Volume is more about paddling from A to B with these boards, but once you're paddling near a wave and then up and riding the lift from the shape takes over from the volume.

If you get the sizing and rocker right you still have all the freedom to turn in tight spots too. Get it too long for your height or too flat rockered, then there might be a risk it'll prefer surfing in straight lines and hard to fit into small waves.
So my normal shorty at 6"4 ( I'm 6"4 tall ) comes in at 34litres which is pretty spot on. Does the take 6-8 inches off that apply in your experience ?
And if shaving 2 litres off your volume is do able in this shape , is it best to achieve the reduction in just width , thickness or shaving it off all over ??

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 pm

DV8 wrote: So my normal shorty at 6"4 ( I'm 6"4 tall ) comes in at 34litres which is pretty spot on. Does the take 6-8 inches off that apply in your experience ?
And if shaving 2 litres off your volume is do able in this shape , is it best to achieve the reduction in just width , thickness or shaving it off all over ??
Check the sizing on the Firewire site. They'd have you riding a 5'7" x 18 3/4" x 2 9/16".

Regarding wave size, mine goes faster with increases in wave power, so it works ok in small waves, goes unreal in good surf up to four foot and then starts going too fast above five foot. Mine has got a crazy amount of concave though - my next one will have slightly flatter rocker, less concave and thinner rails. I think those changes will extend the range more. I wouldn't say they're grovellers more a user friendly HPSB for quality medium sized waves. Check this vid to see what I mean:

http://vimeo.com/65376017

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:35 pm

DV8 wrote:So my normal shorty at 6"4 ( I'm 6"4 tall ) comes in at 34litres which is pretty spot on. Does the take 6-8 inches off that apply in your experience ?
The sizing recommendation depends on whether you're surfing a square chop-nose version, which can
hide more volume in a short package, or a longer rounder nose version which spreads the volume a little similar to a typical HPS.

The Tomo recommendations are:

- For a vanguard/next-gen type board: Ride at nose height, use the width you prefer in your everyday/performance board and subtract 1", and ride the same thickness as your everyday/performance board. It will sound tiny as a concept, but it will hide the same volume as a much bigger longer HPS and even paddle better than a HPS at the same volume. To give you an example, a 5'6" x 18 1/2" x 2 3/8" FireWire vanguard has 29L. These boards carry a bit more volume out to the rail to hide the volume, so they seem better for small to medium waves.

- For a longer rounder nose version like a Tomo V4 or Nano: Ride 6-8" shorter than your everyday/performance board, and the same width and thickness as your everyday/performance board. These boards can be foiled out a little better for more solid waves in my opinion, because you're not trying to hide lots of volume out into the rails to make up for being so small and you can keep the rails low enough for good control in solid waves.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks lads for the info.

Would the Vanguard with the nose rounded off ( ala like Tomo uses in that vid ) Pinhead provided ?
Or would this not work with the designed entry concaves and lift promoting contours happening up front on the Vanguard ??

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 am

DV8 wrote:Thanks lads for the info.

Would the Vanguard with the nose rounded off ( ala like Tomo uses in that vid ) Pinhead provided ?
Or would this not work with the designed entry concaves and lift promoting contours happening up front on the Vanguard ??
I'm not sure the stuff happening up front does that much for the average guy. Stu kennedy has it on his board which is a prototype Vanguard, in that vid but DT doesn't and I'd be happy if I could surf half as good as DT. DT's board looks like a new version of his Nano which has a pretty long single to a double concave.

http://vimeo.com/30388275

There's no reason you couldn't get a Vanguard tail - double diamond + single channel with a less confronting nose shape, as long as you stay true to the key design principles - parallel rails, short length, tight cluster with low toe fins. Check these:

http://mandalacustomshapes.com/boards/d ... tail-quad/

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Here's my V4 5'9" pointy nose which is a little pointier than the pic shows. Single into double with the channels forming a sort of double in the double again, if that makes sense

Only surfed it as a quad once (backhand) when I was seeing if I could up the range I'm able to ride it in. Didn't work for me as it was too unstable transitioning from one rail to the other. Might be better if the rear quads were closer to the stringer (would then perhaps cause havoc with the channel placement), but I'm very happy with it as a thruster. Beyond 4 ft and I change boards
Tomo.jpg
Tomo.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm

swvic wrote:Here's my V4 5'9" pointy nose which is a little pointier than the pic shows. Single into double with the channels forming a sort of double in the double again,
Tomo.jpg
How are the rails on that one SW?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:54 pm

As you describe yours - tucked edge up front and quite square out the back end. Wider (19") & thicker (2 1/4 on the stringer, but I suspect it's 2 1/2) than yours too, so the top of the rail pinches down so as they're not too thick
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
DV8 wrote:So my normal shorty at 6"4 ( I'm 6"4 tall ) comes in at 34litres which is pretty spot on. Does the take 6-8 inches off that apply in your experience ?
The sizing recommendation depends on whether you're surfing a square chop-nose version, which can
hide more volume in a short package, or a longer rounder nose version which spreads the volume a little similar to a typical HPS.

The Tomo recommendations are:

- For a vanguard/next-gen type board: Ride at nose height, use the width you prefer in your everyday/performance board and subtract 1", and ride the same thickness as your everyday/performance board. It will sound tiny as a concept, but it will hide the same volume as a much bigger longer HPS and even paddle better than a HPS at the same volume. To give you an example, a 5'6" x 18 1/2" x 2 3/8" FireWire vanguard has 29L. These boards carry a bit more volume out to the rail to hide the volume, so they seem better for small to medium waves.

- For a longer rounder nose version like a Tomo V4 or Nano: Ride 6-8" shorter than your everyday/performance board, and the same width and thickness as your everyday/performance board. These boards can be foiled out a little better for more solid waves in my opinion, because you're not trying to hide lots of volume out into the rails to make up for being so small and you can keep the rails low enough for good control in solid waves.
Capt - Pinhead your thoughts ?

Thought I'd go straight to the horses mouth as all these very short dims are hard to get my head around.
Emailed Dan and he recommended these dims for someone my length and girth ( 6"4 - 87kgs - my hpsb 6"4 x 20 x 2.5)
NANO shape (rounded nose ) 6"0 x 20 x 2.5
VANGUARD 5"10 X 19.5 X 2.5

All the posts I've read across many sites from people who have tried these shapes would make me believe these dims are too much board
for my size , what do you lot think ?

Tah