Quad / Thruster ride report - fin advice needed

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pinhead
barnacle

Re: Quad / Thruster ride report - fin advice needed

Post by pinhead » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Guys if you're prepared to entertain the notion of five fins, then you need to be looking seriously at the Griffin set up:

http://www.griffinsurfboards.com/modfish.html#

I ride one and they work really well. Makes a flat wide fish surf like an HP thruster without losing the drive of the straight rail and quad set up.

Google Griffin modfish to read plenty of frothing reviews

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks pinhead they look nice, how much is it to get one sent to aus or are does someone already import to sell here?
Cheers,
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Rode a thruster for the first time in yonks today. Normally ride quads or 2+1s.
Forgot how easy they are to turn.
Now I need a new board...
There was more going on than just the difference in fins, but in some bowly beachbreaks it was the absolute dogs bollocks.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Mate you might offend the pro quad crew on here calling a thruster 'the dogs bollocks' but yeh it's hard to beat the good ol thruster all round, ESP through
turns.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

From my limited two-month foray into quads I'd say yeah thrusters do turn better, but they can't hold a candle to a quad for hold and drive and holding speed through turns. Back on a thruster the other day felt super soft, not dynamic. Maybe I've just never had a thruster with as good an all-round combo as I have with this quad. Bugger of a sport this, too many ways to have fun. Christ, it even makes a difference what mood you're in.
Last edited by kookster on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

JaM71 wrote:Thanks pinhead they look nice, how much is it to get one sent to aus or are does someone already import to sell here?
Cheers,
Don't know of anyone selling them here. Firewire were going to do a model but the deal with Griffen fell through. Pricing etc is all on Griffins site if you want one from him.

I shaped my own using fin size and position measurements I got from someone who has one. So another option would be to get someone local to shape one for you. I can send some design notes if you find someone willing to have a crack at it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Natho wrote:Mate you might offend the pro quad crew on here calling a thruster 'the dogs bollocks' but yeh it's hard to beat the good ol thruster all round, ESP through
turns.
kookster wrote:From my limited two-month foray into quads I'd say yeah thrusters do turn better, but they can't hold a candle to a quad for hold and drive and flying through turns and making sections.
Agree with both these statements.

FWIW, I think my time on 2+1s has made me more fluid and improved my bottom turns and timing in bigger waves, and my time on quads has improved my understanding of fins, the drive I get from my fins and my late takeoffs, all of which has improved my thruster surfing.
And my thruster surfing allows me to be more of an active surfer than just a wave rider, get to different places on the wave more quickly (in a vertical sense), and learn new things more quickly, some of which I can then translate back to (and in some cases do better) on the other boards.

I'll keep riding all of them, they're all fun for me.
Match the hatch and increase your fun. Thruster was the board of choice today.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:14 pm

haha nice ones!

I reckon:

- Want to hang back in the pocket? Thruster is perfect.

- Want to make sections and hold the drive through turns? Quad is perfect.

- Want to feel free and easy? Twin is perfect.

- Want to slip and slide and really feel speed on a surfboard? No (or almost no) fins is perfect.

- Want to get back to simple surfing? Single is perfect.

- Want to try something different? 2+1, twinzer, 5-fin, 6-fin, kf;ldkfl;sdkf;lsd is perfect.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 am

boo I reckon every board you ride teaches a thing or two extra you didn't know before, it keeps your surfing fresh and you get added stoke improving techniques all the time. it's a lot of fun being a board whore and rolling your quiver over too...
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Can someone please explain what " added stoke", " feeling the stoke", " experiencing the stoke" and similar descriptions actually mean ?

How do I experience the feeling of " stoke"??

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Its how you use it yourself that counts! :P

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Natho wrote:Can someone please explain what " added stoke", " feeling the stoke", " experiencing the stoke" and similar descriptions actually mean ?

The only time I've heard those words spoken is when they interview pro's at surf contests. I suspect "stoked" is a term made up by the surf industry, I've never heard it used in conversation by normal people.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 am

pinhead wrote:
Natho wrote:Can someone please explain what " added stoke", " feeling the stoke", " experiencing the stoke" and similar descriptions actually mean ?

The only time I've heard those words spoken is when they interview pro's at surf contests. I suspect "stoked" is a term made up by the surf industry, I've never heard it used in conversation by normal people.
rings a bell, from way back, stands for stoking the fire

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Natho, Natho, Natho. Even though its much abused as a term, if you surf and you have to ask what stoked means you aren't doing it right.
Its a bit like saying what does orgasm mean in relation to sex.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:09 pm

OK the word "stoked" goes back to the late 1960s, but really swung into use in the early 1970s. It was one of the first words used by surfers post-Gidget-era to set themselves apart from everyday humans. I can't be completely certain but I think it's linked to the expression "stoking the fire" and may even have surf trip camp fire roots in some way.

So to be "stoked" is to have the fire set alight and blazing. You know, like a fcuken metaphor.

pinhead I used the expression a great deal in my early surfing years and I bet most guys of my vintage (early 50s, started around 1972) would also have done, without irony and in no service of any surf industry.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:23 pm

goggled wrote:stir up or tend
has potential for other use

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:17 pm

I've been hearing normal people use the word stoke for a few years, it annoyed me at first, cause I suspect that the surf industry got them using it along with wearing boardshorts :)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:36 pm

crustt wrote:I've been hearing normal people use the word stoke for a few years, it annoyed me at first, cause I suspect that the surf industry got them using it along with wearing boardshorts :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: