post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

el rancho
Duke Status

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by el rancho » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:what the FCUK

this was about gauze lines along the rail?

we all live and learn

no, that was the conclusion.
F for comprehension, now go back to any of the myriad of threads devoted to you

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:00 pm

if anyone is interested I have a Maurice Cole super concave (Metro 3) for sale in the Boards for Sale section. Board is in very good condition - epoxy glassed for strength. 5'9 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/16 (thickness seems same as my 2 1/4 MC).
This board would give you a great feel for the MC super concaves some of us have been raving about, however the Metro is a more user friendly design than the Pro Tow or Mermaid with a bit more foam too. I'm selling to get a Pro Tow. $380

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:25 am

Any idea of volume?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm

MC is not into using volume measure for his boards but it would prob be around 26 Litres or so. There is a fair bit of width nose to tail.

I'm 73kg and could go less foam. These boards cover so much ground you can ride them a bit smaller.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Paul Gravelle's FB page, only been up a week or two but some nice looking boards on there already if anyone interested.
Will be getting at least one made on my way across soon.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gravelle ... 3755335796
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Paul's a nice guy and makes beautiful boards...a few years ago I ordered a 7'2" (pin tail, glass ons) on my way through Ceduna/Cactus, then another 6'8" (pin tail, FCS) as a birthday gift to myself on my way back through...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 am

Natho wrote:MC is not into using volume measure for his boards but it would prob be around 26 Litres or so. There is a fair bit of width nose to tail.

I'm 73kg and could go less foam. These boards cover so much ground you can ride them a bit smaller.
Still a bit small for me, but thanks mate.

I've always been interested in trying those super concave boards, he is obviously getting the theory dialled.

The super concave makes perfect sense to me though, give the water being redirected by the rail a clean straight-line exit out the tail. More "hook" in the rail for hold and surface area when pressuring the rail.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am

Yeh the trick seems to be the type of rail he uses to compliment the extreme lift and the rail rocker used. The Mermaid model I have just has the most beautiful back end rocker as an example and the rail he uses helps control the lift. Possibly the best small wave board I have ever ridden. The Metro has a deeper concave again and a slightly fishier plan shape and rocker line, but certainly both out of a similar mould.
Never been a fan of really deep singles before now as the ones I have tried tended to track, suck to the face or be delayed in turn response when breaking from a straight line. The MCs have none of those hang ups.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Natho wrote:Yeh the trick seems to be the type of rail he uses to compliment the extreme lift and the rail rocker used. The Mermaid model I have just has the most beautiful back end rocker as an example and the rail he uses helps control the lift. Possibly the best small wave board I have ever ridden. The Metro has a deeper concave again and a slightly fishier plan shape and rocker line, but certainly both out of a similar mould.
Never been a fan of really deep singles before now as the ones I have tried tended to track, suck to the face or be delayed in turn response when breaking from a straight line. The MCs have none of those hang ups.
Interesting. Why do you think it avoids those problems? Does he release the concave with the vee out the back? Or is it just all blended really well?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:38 am

All of the above plus the secret herbs and spices in the rail rocker, esp in the back third of the board.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:41 am

I was quite happy with my quiver until I read your review of the mermaid Natho. Damn you.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 am

well after riding it a few more times I would rate it even more highly. The thing is it is not for everyone. It is still a super high performance bit of machinery.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am

Another board I'm loving in the quiver is the Pyzel - Pinky Model.
This board comes out when the waves are good or there is at least some steepness to the wave as the board has a bit more rocker.
The foil of this board is superb. Foam removed in all the right places but left where it matters. One of those boards that given the right conditions just does everything you want it to without having to over think the board. Loves going top to bottom with no resistance and superb release. Again a super high performance board that is not for everyone. An all rounder for me in good waves. When I first put one under my arm I was sold.

5'11 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 pm

As close as I have got (or want to get) to a high performance board is the 6'2 webber "the one"

Late eighties type design, lowered rocker, rounded square, and single concave.
Only had it a few weeks, felt it twitchy at first which I think was due to lift from the deep single concave, but now have it fully dialled in.

They're a great little board and don't know why he's now stopped making them ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p23kXB0JO-k
Attachments
image.jpg
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:27 pm

due to the waves I most frequently surf. Which are average waves most of the time. And personally I find that boards that are a little de-tuned and pared back tend to work better in average conditions.

On the other hand if I was surfing waves like Puerto Escondido or even duranbah every day for that matter , then on the contrary I'd want nothing but finely tuned hi performance boards
Sniff wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Before I switched to a JD board, I was riding one of these.. http://surfboardagency.com/webber-mistress/
Seems quite similar to your Webber, maybe his next model?

I thought it was a great board and only changed it when the collapsing of the foam meant the stringer was coming through the deck glass, not sure if this was a foam issue, or glassing issue or both. Anyway, JD made me something quite similar in dimensions but has the bulletproof nature of his construction.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Hatchnam wrote:As close as I have got (or want to get) to a high performance board ...
might have to eat my words on this now. as i've just picked THIS up off gumtree, for erm, FIFTY DOLLARS!

6'5 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2 Phil Byrne in almost imacculate condition.

super refined, highly rockered, low pinched rails, rolled deck, minimal foil, etc...

took it out for a quick first go on saturday. it felt OK on a couple of waves, but the conditions on saturday weren't anything special.

will save it for those handful of days a year where it's simply pumping, super flawless, throaty overhead groundswells. in those conditions, i reckon it'll light up like fire. but other than that, it feels like it's just gonna let me down.

Sniff wrote: