post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Natho » Wed May 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Are we able to get a pic of some of your deep concaves? possibly with some sort of lotus pose?.

thanks
Natho

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 pm

mentone mansions wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: It had a leg rope arch instead of a plug and when the arch ripped through one big Sunset day,
I love the bridge, they're strong as hell (Ok you wrecked one at sunset :shock: ) you never see them anymore. Probably more time consuming to make?
The keel fish josh dowling made me has one. Seems kind of lame to post about keel fish after nicks post.

Nick, when you snap your board in massive Hawaiian surf, what on earth goes through your mind?. I mean, even with the crazy volume of swimming and water training you do, is there a moment of "ah shit!"????

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu May 08, 2014 7:59 am

Yeah there is a moment of "ah shit I just snapped my favourite fcuken board".

swimming in is fun! you get sooo worked doing it at big Sunset. You have to swim back into the impact zone basically and angle on to the inside of Vals Reef and it beats the absolute shit out of you. But then you get into clear water and it's an easy 150m swim to the beach. If you miss the angle then you've gotta keep swimming back in toward Vals and get completely fcuken punished by the whitewaters coming off the inside section. Eventually you get to bodysurf off the side of Vals Reef and blasted by the backwash, it's all time.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu May 08, 2014 2:25 pm

there's some bitchen Phil Myers channel bottoms at Noel Grahams All Above Board surf shop in the main drag of the Ox.

Channel bottom afficionados should check them out.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 08, 2014 2:43 pm

My woodgee also stock some nice looking channel bottoms. Always go in there and look at them, tyre kick etc when visiting back home
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 pm

steve shearer wrote:there's some bitchen Phil Myers channel bottoms at Noel Grahams All Above Board surf shop in the main drag of the Ox.

Channel bottom afficionados should check them out.

first single fin I ever rode was a gnarly little 5'9ish phil myers free flight channel bottom.
it was wild, I think my mate backed over the nose with his subaru.

phil myers instagram is chockers with nice channels and old timey north coast photos

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 pm

I have to say, I'm still pretty sold on the new re-working of the simmons for everyday surfing.

Parallel outline to wide tail, forward widepoint, fins set back a little further than usual. Steady medium rocker with late nose flip and snub nose. Volume foiled out similar to a HPS. The rest of the details can be varied based on the board, the feel you want, and the waves you surf most.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 15, 2014 7:58 am

Hey capt I'm finding the opposite. Up til my injury I found my jd was going unreal, and it's tail is a few inches wider than the nose (5'4", 18" tail) and rear ward wide point. Wide tail catches anything and being wide tail/narrower nose the manouverability is absolutely nuts. Can't believe the turns I can do on it. I think it's turning me away from wide point forward boards in general. Though my fish is a pretty damn sweet board haha

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 am

Hatchnam wrote:My woodgee also stock some nice looking channel bottoms. Always go in there and look at them, tyre kick etc when visiting back home
the shop in the back street of cooly has had $200 off boards for months now, they had some channels last time I looked too

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 am

Still not in my hands, but my boards are done...
Both with fancy handmade fins to suit.

One to annoy Iggy - 5'6" by 20 and a bit" by 2 1/2" I think.

And one that fits the original brief - pretty standard thruster with a bit more beef to support my less frequent paddling
6'0 by 19"something by 2 1/2"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Noice!!

LPJ
Grommet

Post by LPJ » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Finally creased and snapped that toothpick in the background, blessing in disguise as they say. Popped over to sideways and went for this Sideways 6'0 Bam Bam. Threw the stock trailing fins + the Kinetic Racing Parko model fins in (I'm such a sucker for pro gear aren't I, that's Fanning limited edition DHD in the bg (2nd hand for $50))

Chunky, junky, 3-4ft S windswell. Don't think I pumped once, was just trying to keep a lid on the speed while chattering down the face! :d flew past sections before I could think about it, then was pulling (not landing) floaters haha. Frothing.
Attachments
20140701_194607.jpg
Bam Bam 6'0
20140701_194607.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 am

MORE Skinny Pistol

5'9" x 18 7/8" x 2 1/2" 32L. High performance mini-simmons inspired twinzer + 1. Made for 2ft walls up to days needing a step-up. Nice gradual rocker curve to allow a straigther outline to turn off both the middle and back end. Made for control at high speeds and pocket surfing.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 am

fcuk yeah.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am

What the fcuk is with this joint? Can't see that image because the IT folk think it inappropriate. Have to wait 'til I'm home
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am

swvic wrote:What the fcuk is with this joint? Can't see that image because the IT folk think it inappropriate. Have to wait 'til I'm home
They're onto you vic. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 am

swvic wrote:What the fcuk is with this joint? Can't see that image because the IT folk think it inappropriate. Have to wait 'til I'm home
I think someone looking out for you put in the request. Stops you wanting to buy too many surfboards :)

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks, Matticus. The tinypic place must be full of inappropriate images

Trev, They must be getting real sus, because it happens semi-regularly on RS. For most, I should know better, but when the good Cpt. posts a board pic, I click without fear

And CC, nothing will ever stop me wanting too many surfboards. I've been drooling over a bonzer for the past few weeks. Never ridden one and don't need it, but I want it all the same

Hasn't helped finding this recently either. Before I came here, Mick made all my boards for 15 years

http://instagram.com/easternlight
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?