Future fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

BA
Duke Status

Future fins

Post by BA » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Anyone using em? Just picked up a board and was given Vector 2's. Any other recommendations? It's a small wave board.

robzig
Local

Re: Future fins

Post by robzig » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 pm

robzig wrote:Futures are the best fin system I have used. Been on them for about 7-8 years.

I love their T1 fiberglass ones in my twinnys and Stretch Quads for my...well quads.

Thrusters I use JC in all the different materials. But I do have nearly the whole range for board making purposes.
What makes you sold on the fin system? The long base to transfer more leverage, similar to glass on fins?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks guys. The Vectors seem to have a fairly pronounced concave in the middle. Their website doesn't seem to mention them, so dunno what it does. Will be interesting.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:11 pm

I have F4's when my board is set up as a thruster - they go well.
But I spend most time with it as a quad, with Controllers....absolutley love them!

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:57 pm

The fins seem to be better made than fcs, and they sit in the board better. I've only recently used them, but I reckon they are heaps better than fcs.

I was using the solus - but while they are fast and drivey (and expensive) they were a little wafty and funky off the top for my meagre skills to handle.
Got some simon andersons now and they allow me to dig in real hard and still has heaps of down the line push. Keen to try the AM2 as well.

What type of board are we talking about?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 am

Topher wrote:What type of board are we talking about?
Emery Frother. 6'2 x18 3/4 x 2 3/8. Pretty standard. Flat bottom, soft rails.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:29 pm

hey BA, not sure what Futures would say about this but it feels to me that the Vectors provide a bit more lift in turns than a flat edge inside foil.

This can be an issue with some boards and it can really help others.

Vectors tend to be a bit smaller in template, this is OK since the surface area is a bit bigger thanks to the concave curve.

Futures have heaps of other fins and like robzig says they are the shit, so surf 'em and see what happens. My sense from your description is that they'll probably bring that board to life a bit. But if the board feels too squirrelly in turns, specially the end of turns, the Vectors might not be the go.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks Nick. Haven't been out yet. Wanted to try it when it was at least 3ft. Like my first surf on a new board to be in good waves with at least a bit of size. Dunno why. Just a personal thing.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:hey BA, not sure what Futures would say about this but it feels to me that the Vectors provide a bit more lift in turns than a flat edge inside foil.

This can be an issue with some boards and it can really help others.

Vectors tend to be a bit smaller in template, this is OK since the surface area is a bit bigger thanks to the concave curve.

Futures have heaps of other fins and like robzig says they are the shit, so surf 'em and see what happens. My sense from your description is that they'll probably bring that board to life a bit. But if the board feels too squirrelly in turns, specially the end of turns, the Vectors might not be the go.
Well fark me, you're not just a pretty face Nick.

Took her out for a spin today a 2ft ish DY. Couldn't wait. Some fun cleanish walls on the low tide. Not great, but fun enough.

First wave, bottom turn into top turn and the tail and fins release and I'm bucked off. :oops: Squirrelly comment comes to mind.

Next few waves I don't push so aggressively through the turns and find it's all good. Could definitely feel the lift through the turns. Strange feeling at first, but I think I like it. Best description would be the board feels loose and lively, but not out of control. A lot different to my last fins (M5's). Looking forward to trying her in some decent stuff.

Feel like a grommet again. That can't be bad. 8)

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Good to know Rob. Think I'll pick up some others for the bigger stuff. Any suggestions?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Topher wrote:The fins seem to be better made than fcs, and they sit in the board better. I've only recently used them, but I reckon they are heaps better than fcs.
in the case of the fibreglass fins they've been made in the same factory as FCS & Tru Ames for a very long time, using exactly the same technique as FCS used before them, which they borrowed from Aerospace / Motor sport and pretended they invented :roll: . any difference you feel would be down to the base ( not the materials or construction ), but I am interested in people's opinions on this. Ke11y seems to have no problem with the FCS system in pretty critical waves, but then again, maybe they are tweaking his installs?

SPsurf

Post by SPsurf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Any one used the controllers, thinking if getting a set for a wide tailed fish! I have vector 2 with the 438 rears

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:11 pm

SPsurf wrote:Any one used the controllers, thinking if getting a set for a wide tailed fish! I have vector 2 with the 438 rears
Yep, have used them in both a Sweet Potato & Dominator (both very wide arsed things).

I love them - instant speed from the first pump & massive drive off the bottom. They can occasionally feel a bit slow off the top, but it seems a bit random and is not really an issue for the way I surf.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

dUg wrote:I am interested in people's opinions on this. Ke11y seems to have no problem with the FCS system in pretty critical waves, but then again, maybe they are tweaking his installs?
No more than anyone else's.

I dunno if you can fault fcs on fin quality, they do a good job, but like a lot of surfers I have had issues with the plug lay-ins at different times and definitely prefer the Surfinz box style set up for fcs tab fins. Vaguely surprised that fcs hasn't adopted a similar box style thing themselves.

One thing I have noticed -- issues with plugs, if they've occurred, have tended to surface between six and 12 months into a board's ownership. Most top pro surfers don't consistently ride a board day to day for six to 12 months, so maybe they're not the best assessors of fin system durability.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:14 pm

A question for future fin users, when you run into grief with fcs tabs, say you run over a rock or an unfortunate backpacker at bondi, usually the tabs snap and the board and plugs are saved (most of the time hopefully, not always though).

What tends to happen in the same scenario with future fins?

I loved speed fins, the flick back flex was awesome, but the tIniest bump on the fins and you were into ding repair mode
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.