How to wipe out when pig dogging

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

zingomar
regular

How to wipe out when pig dogging

Post by zingomar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Been improving my backside tube stance and rode a few heavy tight shorebreak tubes today that left me wiping out with my board right next to me.Went over the falls on one. My older stance wasn't that extreme- more a tight squat that let me usually turn into the face and go bumb first through the back of the wave feeling safe. But twisting around more had me in a pretty commiited position that is hard to exit from.

What do you do? Particularly in smaller heavy waves where you are all squeezed up tight?

Options I tried were to purposefuly slide the tail out to help me push the board away and go bumb first and avoid going over the falls

zingomar
regular

Re: How to wipe out when pig dogging

Post by zingomar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Well to answer my own question......

A more balanced stance (less crammed up) with a lighter hand on the rail seems to keep you in a better spot for either a shift to the pull through the back option or to the Andy Irons advice on yootoob of diving forward. Avoiding pulling on the rail too much also means less over the falls chances.

Lots of vids seem to either cut out the wipeouts or it all happens deep and hidden so it is quite hard to see what peole do.
On the whole lots of people seem to hang on to the end and take their chances in the washing machine in potentially makeable tubes. All okay until you are over a shallow coral reef though :shock: when there is more than just your board to worry about. At the last Chopes contest a few dived forward and lots stuck it out to the end in the foamball hoping for an exit.They seemed to survive

Rustt
barnacle

Re: How to wipe out when pig dogging

Post by Rustt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 am

Head first, sometimes just get compressed into my board, I have a strange stance leaning forward. But it works.