Volume question

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Volume question

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:20 pm

I know its important, but I don't quite follow what effect volume has on a board.

Example:

If I'm 80 odd kgs, what's a rough volume measurement to look for?

My current board is 30ltr ... On a 6'3" + 2 1/2 thick.

And I thought it was perfect until y'day.

I had a go on mate's 6'3" made for Margo and it was 2 7/8 thick, If I recall correctly. And I loved being a little higher out of the water. Paddling was a joy, but also turns, especially my bottom and off the lip turn.

My mate kept going on about volume, and I need to get more.

My vague understanding was to keep my 6'3" length - a must - I couldn't go too much thicker than 2 1/2 ... because the bottom shape would change too drastically (too much S) and the board wouldn't ride like I was use to/ needed it too.

Can any smarter than me - not hard - answer this one?

My all rounder board is based off below, but with a little more width through the nose.

Could I get an outline like this and go 2 7/8 or 2 3/4 thick and raise the hell out of my volume and have the board perform the same, only paddle better & keep me higher out of the water?
Last edited by crabmeat thompson on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Volume question

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Overto Ric, Mark and Josh................... 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:24 pm

or feraldave...http://www.diversesurf.com.au/news/news/volume.php
Dave's estimate 0.35L per kg of bodyweight for pros.
Which would place you at about 28L + whatever non-pro addition you want.
I ride about 0.39l per kg in my everyday board, and I'm by no means high performance.

Last time I saw Margo (8 years ago?) he was pushing 95 clicks, but his boards were pretty foiled and rockered. I wouldn't be surprised if the board had about the same volume as yours. And I'd reckon that the foam distribution had more to do with it than the total volume of foam.

why not just get a copy of the board you rode, rather than try and make your current board ride like it?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Interesting. I think I'm just as confused though after reading Dave's write up.

So, a high volume 6'3" board can only have full rails and a flatter rocker? Is that where the extra volume comes from?
Kunji wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Ask Jesus.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Braithy wrote:Interesting. I think I'm just as confused though after reading Dave's write up.

So, a high volume 6'3" board can only have full rails and a flatter rocker? Is that where the extra volume comes from?
full rails, yes. think about the cross section. Get a flat deck, carrying the foam further to the rails.
dunno about rocker affecting volume, think they just go together in terms of design. i.e. if you want more volume you probably want flat and fast.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:23 am

Rocker would have to be effected I would think. To have rocker you're planing foam out of the bottom shape.

So does it mean; from a technical aspect I'm sacrificing rocker and the ability for the board to be ideal in the pocket - or in hollow waves - if I want more volume?

I looked around at a few sites which let you order boards online, and for my board it says it's suited for 70- 75 kgs. And the DHD I rode this week is rated at 85kgs.

This is probably why I liked it, I was riding a board closer to my weight?
Kunji wrote:

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 am

Braithy wrote:This is probably why I liked it, I was riding a board closer to my weight?
That'd be it! You can be the hottest surfer in the world, but if your board sinks, you need to work harder to keep it moving. or also need more juice in the wave. Thin rails will need more speed to bounce back out of carves.

Fat rails on a really wide board is generally a bad combo in very fast hollw waves - rides too high and spins out.

Going thicker with the exact same dimensions as the existing board in every other respect is not the answer. I think of volume as a board expanded in every dimension.

This includes rocker - to a point...Bigger guys are often also taller, so they're literally swinging body weight from higher up, which means greater leverage, so they can tear the same turn radius in a flatter board.

Also, bigger older guys get tired more easily and benefit from flatter rocker because the amount of bottom surface in contact with the water is greater, so easier paddling.

Your favourite model could easily be bumped up a couple of clicks on the shaping machine, and looking from a distance you won't tell the difference. But as you found with Margo's - easier to get speed, easier to keep it and a buried rail will rebound out of turns.

That makes for more fun!

JD

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 am

I'm starting to wonder if Josh really is a shaper. He makes far too much sense.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:24 am

You're a star Josh ... That makes complete sense.

I think I might go to the extreme and get a board made for someone who's 90 or 95 kegs. Really accentuate the extra volume and its benefits ... and from there tail it back if necessary for the next one. Although I was paddling around like a grom on it, so it might be perfect!

Cheerrs again Josh. Awesome!
Kunji wrote:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am

If you're only 80kgs then going for something that suits a guy of 90 - 95 kgs is going to be too much volume. Sure it'll paddle well but it'll feel too corky I reckon.

If it helps my 7' thruster is 2 7/8's thick and I weigh 89kgs. It's a Miller V-Skate and at that volume with my weight it paddles really well and can easily hold in flat or hollow waves. It's not a top to bottom carving machine (at least not in my hands) but it goes really well all the same.

I'd try a few more combinations before you spend the money personally unless you've got that kind of coin to throw around
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 am

I really enjoyed the corky feeling. Within 3 or 4 waves on it, I could layback with my whole body weight and turn the board on one rail. It just felt natural, like I should have always been riding something much fatter and wider than what I ever have been.

So I guess thinking if I really ramped it up, it might feel even better ... but you're right, I could be committing overkill on all fronts.

Might stick to the 82-85kg rated board since it seemed to work.

Nice thinking Hatchy
Kunji wrote:

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am

Extra volume takes a little getting used to, but it never seems to be detrimental. Again, to a point.

Providing the other aspects of the design are tuned in too.

There's two ways I put it when crew bring in a thin board they're moaning about but insist that their high performance priority means they need a thin board -

One - What's more fun :- floating up to your tits and struggling to get any waves, or blowing the back out of anything that comes your way?

And Two - Have a look at those 4in thick old dungers in the ding dept. Yes, they look ugly now, but at the time they were new, they were the absolute cutting edge. Jeez, even pros tore the fnuk out of it on those. And are you a better surfer?

JD

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm

get josh to build you a board ... now you've pumped him for info

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 pm

plus he builds a decent board !!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 am

ˆˆˆ

If I didn't live so far away from Vico, I would in a heartbeat!!

JD wrote:One - What's more fun :- floating up to your tits and struggling to get any waves, or blowing the back out of anything that comes your way?
Couldn't agree with you more. Thanks again for all the info :)
Kunji wrote:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:38 pm

foam is your friend... 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Let's see who can win a guessing game.
I emailed DHD and asked them about 2 boards.
http://basesurfboards.com/en_AU/dhd/sur ... by-monster
The 6'6" X 21&1/4" X 2&7/8" Bobby monster
and
the 6' X 20&3/4" X 2&3/4" Pocket knife
which unfortunately isn't on their website but has an egg like planshape and is foiled thick all the way nose to tail.
Here's a link to a 5'6" to show the planshape.
http://www.oregonsurfshop.com/DHD-56-Po ... board.html
Anyone want to have a punt on which has more volume in litres?
I had compared them side by side in a shop and really wasn't sure.
So I asked.
The reply was illuminating.
Volume is just a part but such different boards, rocker, planshape, foil and rails.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.