Twin fins as go-to boards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Twin fins as go-to boards

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:59 am

I just love this stage of back yard shaping. I can sit and dream about what im gonna shape for months, and then generally still f#$k it up.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:47 am

Last edited by Rustt on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:48 am

diggerdickson wrote:how many guys have ridden a twin fin with deep channels. Im thinking of building one in the near future for a mate who use to ride twinnies and use to ride channels in his thruster as well. The reason im thinking channels, and probably just four as four seem to suit a twinny. Im thinking the channels with give that little bit of an extra hold when you bury the rail. Im thinking the tail will either be a moon tail or a old bat tail as was done back by bill at Nirvana. Im also thinking of adding a moon fin as a trailer for just that little bit more hold. One because at my mates age of 50 we just dont have the flexibilty of our youth to be sliding the board around, plus we have just that bit more weight than our 16 to 20 year old selves. I wont run the middle set of channels out the tail, but the two side channels will run out the tail. The channels themselves with follow the toe and i will try to match the cant with the cant of the channel if you know what i mean. Im thinking flat deck, or if I can get a thick enough blank maybe even a slight concave deck. The bottom will run a slight single concave, by this I mean a beautiful subtle concave that then leads into the channels. So in efffect I will by trying to guide the flow of water down into the channels. I aim to keep as much foam as possible.

Not sure if it will work, though I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has ridden a clinker style twinny. Did you like it. What fins did you have in them (one of the beautiful aspects of channels is that you can use a smaller fin, though im not sure if this would be the case with a twinny.). What was the placement of the fins. Im thinking six inches then fin up baby... though plenty of time for me to think about this.

Im still setting up my bay, got one shape to complete, then its twinny time. I have to get my op over and done with before I can shape as well.

Cheers guys. Hope all has been gettign some great waves
If you add a trailer digger, it ain't a twin fin anymore:-D-:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:36 am

re: twin fin with deep channels - a few years ago i owned a late 70's looking one, really chunky 6 foot board with a flat rocker. i found the channels to be a little counter-intuitive to the twin set up, where it'd sometimes want to track straight when driving a bottom turn off the trough. then again, the board might have simply been a pig with too flat a rocker, and/or fault with my technique at the time.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:17 pm

I hear ya rust, I know the purest twin fin riders will always say a twin fin with a trailer ain't a twinny in its purest form. Though one thing to consider is that with the correct fin placements it certainly ain't a thruster. Hatchman, this is a slight concern for me about Twiniies and channels. I've seen a few modern twinnies with four clinkers. I know Huei has shaped one. I was just hoping someone here has ride. a modern twinny with them and can give feedback.

On the other side of the coin a guy I know of from swaylocks makes them with a totally flat bottom and he concentrates on the rocker and release points. People swear by them. I certainly ain't got his skill set but I can make a perfect flat bottom.

It's research time

scot
regular

Post by scot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 am

Digger,
reading this article gives some good thoughts on having channels in a twinny. Not sure about the length of the board he is spruking though (7'10), I think the same shape in a 5'10 to 6'0 would be pretty fun.

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-d ... imon-jones

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:34 am

Hey scot, this guy making the big board twinnies has done something that I thought was possible, just that I dont have his skills, plus im not looking at a 7'10, im thinking from 6'4 to 6'6, plus as much foam as i can kept in the board though with deeper channels than what is shown in this board. Ive also had another thought in my mind as well, dont want to share that other thought till I make it as im not sure if I have the skills to do what i think needs doing. It will be great to have them both do a comparison when they have both been completed. I wonder how a eight channel twin would go rather than a four, for me six just feels not right, dont know why, just something in my gut tells me not six. Scot im still in the process of setting up the bay and moving very slowly on it due to my injuries. I will be shaping them from seconds blanks to keep the cost down, hopefully the blanks wont be to bad.

fin placement is possibly the most important factor on twins. I have heard of guys who put the base of the fin only 4 inches from the tail, something I need to research and think through. I do know I dont want to put in any breaks in the curve of the outline. Just make it with one beautiful curve without flyers or hips, just clean lines, nothing trendy, just clean.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Been surfing a 5'11 firewire elfuego swallow tail with some MRTFX tri set in it.
Had some great sessions on it and I'm convinced its mainly the fin setup that's responsible for the nice turns I've been doing on it.

Ive got a new round tailed shorty on the way 6'0 x 19.6 x 2.52. Medium nose and tail rocker with the shortest of flat sections in the middle.
Picked up a set of fcs2 MRs off the bumtree the other day. Not necessarily for the new stick, more so just for the bargain factor.
Might get em a crack in the new board though seeing I've had so much fun on elfuego with the super twin set up.

Anyone had any success sticking some MRs in their normal shortboard?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Quartet?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Pics please. Did you have one to fondle?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 pm

diggerdickson wrote:Hey scot, this guy making the big board twinnies has done something that I thought was possible, just that I dont have his skills, plus im not looking at a 7'10, im thinking from 6'4 to 6'6, plus as much foam as i can kept in the board though with deeper channels than what is shown in this board. Ive also had another thought in my mind as well, dont want to share that other thought till I make it as im not sure if I have the skills to do what i think needs doing. It will be great to have them both do a comparison when they have both been completed. I wonder how a eight channel twin would go rather than a four, for me six just feels not right, dont know why, just something in my gut tells me not six. Scot im still in the process of setting up the bay and moving very slowly on it due to my injuries. I will be shaping them from seconds blanks to keep the cost down, hopefully the blanks wont be to bad.

fin placement is possibly the most important factor on twins. I have heard of guys who put the base of the fin only 4 inches from the tail, something I need to research and think through. I do know I dont want to put in any breaks in the curve of the outline. Just make it with one beautiful curve without flyers or hips, just clean lines, nothing trendy, just clean.
Digger have a look at this re: different channels and twin

http://comparesurfboards.com/reviews/gr ... win-review

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Wow, that's a thick little board. He mangles his metaphors.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 pm

I put those MR fins in my new shorty, didn't really like them. Stuck the Large AM thrusters back in.
Worth a shot.
Good news is, I've got a nice set of fins in the bucket. May need to save some dollars for a swallowtailed flyer twin.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:51 am

Know the feeling. I've got keels and shapers twins in the fin bags but no fish/twin to surf them in. Use the keels in my 5'4" but standard quad I think works better. Not worth selling though, may as well hold onto them

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm

This fish I've been fixing up came with some brand new crappy plastic quad fins and a legrope. Probably drag out Mt Al Merrick set or just chuck some big front find in and use the plastic rears. They are super sharp....as are the Al Merricks. Is this a quad thing?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:09 pm

What is it Beany
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Tolhurst tuflite I got off an Irish backpacker for $80. He had bought brand new plastic Quad Fins and a new legrope. Some fairly extreme damage but it's looking pretty good now. One crushed rail looks a bit rough but it's water tight and true to the line of the rail. The other gouges won't show up at all.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm
They are super sharp....as are the Al Merricks. Is this a quad thing?
Some of those plastic FCS fins are razor sharp. Never noticed until I sliced my thumb open once putting a board in the back of the ute. I had a look at all my fins after that and took the edge off any sharp ones.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.