what do YOU want out a board?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Re: what do YOU want out a board?

Post by buzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Just on the kook thing, look, I'm 45 yoa and going on 46. I've been surfing since I was 14 and at various stages I reckon I've surfed pretty well. Nowadays I have a back that takes a lot of work to keep mobile; I have a dodgy shoulder from a few subluxation injuries; I'm at least 10 kgs heavier than I was when I was 18, and probably 15 kgs heavier; I can't get in a surf every afternoon after school now - I try to get in a few after work surfs during daylight saving but by and large can only surf weekends during winter. I have a young daughter, a wife to keep happy, a job I need to hold down, postgraduate studies and all the other stuff that attaches to you like (mostly good) barnacles as you make your way through life. I've gone through stages where I've surfed not much or at all because of extended illness or just losing interest. That's life.

So, sure, I can't ride the same board dimensions as Parko. If that makes me a kook in someone's eyes then so be it. I truly don't care. I'm absolutely sure I don't get in anyone's way and the boards I ride are a good tradeoff between performance and paddle. I'll never win Bells but I'll still be surfing in another 30 years if my body holds up, and that's a great thing.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Who said something that gets you into waves early enough to set yourself up for a good first turn? Work forward from that point. If you can get in on a pretzel, great, if you require a sub, great. Control is King.

Only a twit cares about what you ride, its how you ride it.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Davros wrote:Who said something that gets you into waves early enough to set yourself up for a good first turn? Work forward from that point. If you can get in on a pretzel, great, if you require a sub, great. Control is King.

Only a twit cares about what you ride, its how you ride it.
I'd extend that to - its how you ride it and how much fun you are having :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Ah yeh that bit...fun. :mrgreen:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:00 pm

sorry, i should tend my threads more carefully but in my defence the mullet are running so i chasing fish :idea:

it seems we kinda agree on three things here reading back

1 :arrow: jimmeys a dick :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2 :arrow: speed is the thing we all seek in a board

3 :arrow: paddlein :roll: .....i was actually on about how a board feels on a wave :idea:
but if u can't catch em...u can't ride em

so it's all good....steves advice is what i do too ....more paddle power desired i just pull out a longer board

sometimes...imo....u can have wayyyyyyyyyy too much volume in a shorter board accomadate paddle speed at the price performace.....if u strech em out a bit u can the same floatation ...the foam kinda needs fit in...and looses it board i've eva had was a 6'8 :shock:

wat...we all going ride 5'5 by 45 x 5 inches :roll: ....it's a balance for shapers...all imo

p.s trev....i'll lend u my big yellow shortboard....u around u local sat :?: 9 ish :idea:

skipper wrote:'ts gotta be edgy

yep.....all my favs have had this edgy drive off the rails....the shapers could never replicate it....said it was all in my head :cry: :oops:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Yeah Fong I am a dick but I caught a few mullet myself on the way here. The fishing has been great and they are still biting..

I totally agree that you should ride a board that enables you to surf to the best of your ability and have fun.. TBH I don't really give a rats arse what people ride as long as they show respect in the water and know how to share waves and not take every set wave because they can get on to it sooner...

BTW Fong where the Fc.uck are my Muddies?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 pm

jimmy1501 wrote: BTW Fong where the Fc.uck are my Muddies?
We ate them at the Sunny Coast Christmas bash a couple of years back.
Damn nice they were too.

Thanks again Fong.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:32 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote: p.s trev....i'll lend u my big yellow shortboard....u around u local sat :?: 9 ish :idea:
Sounds like a good idea. I'll be there.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 pm

i'm good for em jim and will let u know via other viaduct...just active at sea at the moment

muddies are a river based chase

p.s i still have hopes hook u up with workmate too.....only so many shifts i can handle hearing how she hasn't had sex in years :shock:

p.p.s trev...sat....moffs...we both know u love it 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
skipper wrote:'ts gotta be edgy

yep.....all my favs have had this edgy drive off the rails....the shapers could never replicate it....said it was all in my head :cry: :oops:

:shock:
off the rails? sure,off ma head too, but who said anything bout drive, sounds hard skill work. meant looks edgy. like, sexy spray job, makes me look a charger and texta sigs of messiah, and exotic names locales it been :roll:
standd out of crowd, yells i'm diffrent...faark! neva been ridden tho, you know edgy, not like everybodhi.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:57 am

Its got to look fast,

and Cool.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Mullet are running?????

You sure about that Tim?

Got your fishing diary there to prove it?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:contra to pay the cabinet maker?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:'scuse my ignorance but what the phuck are you gonna do with mullet anyway?
Back when I was a boy................ :oops:
Growing up in the Cooly area, the brothers Boyd would launch their boats off the beach, trail a net around the school of mullet and everyone within a mile or two would help them haul it in. Always got a couple of mullet to take home.
Tasted OK to me then. Pretty much all we knew apart from flatties, tailor and a few bream (and blackies from under the Boyds Bay Bridge).
Has the taste changed or have we all become fish snobs?
Beanpole

Skipper

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 pm

steve shearer wrote:Mullet are running?????

You sure about that Tim?

Got your fishing diary there to prove it?

yes and the fish :mrgreen: or would u prefer a photo :?:

how are the mulloway your way :?: worth tossing a lure off the break wall :?: i have visit slumber town soon 8)

rocking ron....ok.....sea mullet are one my prefer eating fish fresh

cooked correctly simply awesome....u don't need a lot oil when cooking mullet as they are full it....thats how many stuff the taste up

they are also....when running the prefered bait of those quality men who chase mulloway :lol:

than theres the row.....that sells for shitloads too the japs

as much i detest netting...i see nothing in a mullet eva wasted....it's a quality fish....i love em....fried, baked, thrown back out on a hook,etc, etc :wink:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 pm

It's the etc etc I'm concerned about.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm

The row is very rich and flavorful. Best rolled in cornmeal, salt and pepper and fried.
I like mullet headed, gutted, split open, unscaled (they have big thick scales) and put on the barbecue. As fong says they're so oily they don't need much or any more. Simple, delicious. Fong , give me an idea of a good garnish for them: chutney maybe?
Worcestershire sauce?
Trev, thirty years ago the same fishing methods were used at my local. they netted ridiculous amounts of fish. Not surprisingly, you don't see the huge schools you used to. I could go out just beyond the break with a pole spear when they were running and, as a wave would rise it would be just a wall full of swimming fish. I could let the spear go almost at random and more often than not snag a fish for supper.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:10 am

It just occured to me with all this talk of mullet, Ive twigged that the massive schools of fish inhabiting the boat compound here at work were mullet.and I means dozens and dozens of them. Swimming about like baby bull sharks. Their mouths agape and lunging out of the water. And up till only tonight, they've been so plentiful that you'd jag one easily just stabbing the water with a pointy boat hook with yer eyes closed. It's not allowed. But if they reappear I'll give it a go. Can't recall eating them before but sounds it's worth a try. 8)