what do YOU want out a board?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Re: what do YOU want out a board?

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 am

jimmy1501 wrote:It's the etc etc I'm concerned about.
:lol:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am

fresh mullet is passable, any more than a day old and it degrades rapidly.
The roe is best cold smoked over a couple of days. Flesh isn't bad that way either. Prick of a job tending the fire though.
The smelt tastes dreadful.

poddy mullet are great bait, i'd take gar over the big ones though.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Alot depends on the time the mullet or mugil Cephalus as we here in Ballina shire know 'em as, have been swimming in the clear waters of the mighty Pacific.

If the mullet has only just been ejected by biological imperatives (such as we are all want to fall prey to) from his muddy domicile in some creek or river then the flesh will have that unmistakeable muddy after-taste that even the most die-hard mullet fan will admit is akin to swallowing a mouth-ful of dirt mixed with dog caca.

If however the mullet has been swimming long time in the clear ocean the flesh will start to take on a lovely rosy hue and if prepared properly it rightfully belongs in the first rank of eating fishes.

Gourmets (particularly those fine specimens of mullet fisherman found on the beaches of the North Coast) have been known to prepare the roe by smoking it and curing it and turning it into the delicacy known as taramasalata, which helps the long winters nights go smoothly with the aid of liberal doses of bundaberg rum.

I tell ya. There a cultured mob those Mid North Coast Mullet fishos.

Personally and even though it is highly illegal I have been known to jag the odd mullet when fishing for tailor or jewies if it looks Iike I'm coming home empty handed and I see a school swim past.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for the mighty sea run mullet.

I look forwards to the day that they receive their due recognition by starring in a big budget wildlife documentary narrated by David Attenborough and simply titled The Mighty Mullet: Australia's Favourite Fish.

In fact I think Nick Carroll could write the script. He's good at that.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Excellent pronounciation of Taramasalata there Steve.
Last edited by Skipper on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:30 pm

steve shearer wrote:Gourmets (particularly those fine specimens of mullet fisherman found on the beaches of the North Coast) have been known to prepare the roe by smoking it and curing it and turning it into the delicacy known as taramasalata, which helps the long winters nights go smoothly with the aid of liberal doses of bundaberg rum.
Smoke it, then grill it over coals, then serve with a glass of sauterne, side of green olives and warm bread.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 pm

How does the Sauterne go with the smokey flavours of the dish?
Thats an interesting one. Could work well, like Sauterne and foie gras. Just don't know if i want to trial a good bottle of Ch Rieussec on smokey fish just yet. A good white burgundy could work well. Something with a bit of body to match the smokey flavours of the dish and some good acidity to cut through the oilyness. A nice Montrachet could work, or even a Fume Blanc from the Loire if you don't have the coin for the Montrachet.

I certainly would not be ruining such a dish with Bunndy. Heavin forbid. If one must acompany the dish with a tiple of rum may I suggest Ron Zacapa 23YO or even a more elegant Cuban Rum such as Havana Club 7YO. Mind you the smokiness of the dish is probably well suited to a Rum that has spent a bit of time in wood, so I would probably be going for the 23YO. mmmm a nice 23 year old.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Here's a short move I made about some mullet fishos.

Do these fine specimens look like wine drinkers to you>

Thats the problem with you Sydney metro's : incapable of seeing a world outside your own insular and well padded existence.

http://www.vimeo.com/12144565
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Steve, I may be ensconced in the bosom of the eastern suburbs now, but I was introduced to sauterne by fibreglass boat builders, ex cops and pro crabbers in central qld. I was 12 at the time, I took whatever grog was on offer.

FWIW, I can't stomach sauterne in any other context. And despite having sold wine as a part-time job in the past, the vast majority of what Natho wrote sounds like wine wankery of the finest order. But I'm with him on the rum. I'd match it with Mount Gay 8 yr old. (let the jokes and inappropriate images begin...)

The sweetness of the bundy may just go well. I'll watch the vid when I get a moment, I think I've seen it before.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Well I must say that Id still prefer the longer legs of the 23YO rather than the shorter legs cast by the 8YO. Anyway whatever floats ya boat.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Fixed Fong. 8)

ps. Awesome spot that. I first surfed it in 1964 (think it was Easter).
Trev
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 pm

steve shearer wrote:Here's a short move I made about some mullet fishos.

Do these fine specimens look like wine drinkers to you>

That's the problem with you Sydney metro's : incapable of seeing a world outside your own insular and well padded existence.

http://www.vimeo.com/12144565

I think it's a bloody shame, steve. Those fat fcuks and their monster trucks don't give the fish a chance do they? They remind me of far too many fishermen I've run across over the years; intent only upon the slaughter. No connection with their prey or appreciation at all. Nothing but a trophy to them or worse, a commodity, maximizing the yield the only thing.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Who ate all the mullet?

Bet they love chopping down trees and cementing backyards for the trucks.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:55 pm

I look for a board that just puts into places on the wave you don't really know how you ended up in, and pulls you out every time. A board that always seems to end up under your feet no matter what happens. I don't really how way to explain it simply... like you do a late takeoff, spray in your face and you can't see, tail slides a little in the face before it gently catches and sets up the first barrel section like it's on autopilot. I look for boards with their own personality.

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 am

Red.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Photo above, is that like an 18 inch fin box. Massive.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am

could be a leggie?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 pm

dont think fin boxes were around when that pic was taken....

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 pm

something new, something to complement what I own already, something fun, normally I research a design before I commit myself, I can change my mind and go off on another tangent at the drop of a hat, so I never buy off racks in case I buy on the spur of the moment, custom is generally safe for me.

At the moment thinking either twinny, bonzer or deep clinker thruster, something that will take me on different lines which I will really enjoy experimenting with
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".