H3 Nexus...anyone tried 'em?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

disappointed
Grommet

Re: H3 Nexus...anyone tried 'em?

Post by disappointed » Fri May 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Topher wrote:Hey dissapointed. What type of shorter wider board did ya try 'em in? What did you find, and why didn't they work for you?
Just a small wave board Topher, swallow tail thruster 19 3/4 wide that carries a bit more width through the nose and tail and has a little less rocker so it rides flatter and has some self propulsion in smaller fuller waves. I use larger raked fins in this board as the board itself provides looseness and the regular raked fin helps with the drive and speed. This board rides flatter than a performance rounded pin or square but still goes rail to rail.
A friend also tried them in more of a fish with a wider tail and a snubier nose and found that they skated too much and felt that it was due to the flat ride of that style of board.
I like the H3’s because normally you would select boards and fins that work for the biggest wave of the day but when you paddle out into 4 ft waves there are also plenty of 2 or 3 ft waves and these fins give you flexibility to get more out of your surf by allowing speed and manoeuvrability in the smaller waves as well as hold on the 4 fters. So I can use them in a rounded pin which is faster and nicer to turn but inherently the board itself is a providing a tighter set up so the H3’s give me more options to ride a board I would prefer to ride.
I do not have a channel bottom board like bohdidontsurf and prefer simple concaves, so I can’t comment if they work in those style of boards but I really cant imagine them working in 6 ft anyway.
I think like anything it will be personal preference and unfortunately in the case of H3’s the price makes it hard to just try them and see.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri May 20, 2011 3:41 pm

my hand foiled set are for sale if anyone is keen... used 4 times, like new...

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 am

thanks for your replies, i got to try a pair and see for myself I reckon.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm such a gear addict. I bought a set to try out, but they don't do it for me. Felt really good and loose off the top for me, and they seem real fast and solid in hollow little waves. But I'm too used to my c-drives.

Mine are for sale too. Mediums. $100. Pm me.
Last edited by Topher on Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

disappointed
Grommet

Post by disappointed » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

Topher wrote:I'm such a gear addict. I bought a set to try out, but they don't do it for me. Felt really good and loose off the top for me, and they seem real fast and solid in hollow little waves. But I'm too used to my c-drives.

Mine are for sale too. $100. Pm me.
What board did you use them in ?

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 am

5'11 Firewire elFuego. Flatter, wider, swallow tail. Like you said. Didn't quite work. I'm used to this board as a quad with c-drives but felt like a change. Funnily the cdrives as a thruster are mad in this board, bit freeer and surfs more vertical. Just what I was after - didn't need to buy the H3's at all.

I thinkthe board needs the extra drive. I reckon you are right about using these in a HPS board.

disappointed
Grommet

Post by disappointed » Wed May 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Sounds like they have a quite limited range of application which is the opposite of what the particular shaper who recomended them to me said.
With these fins there must be a fine balance of board preference, wave types and personal surfing preference that make them either a hit or a miss.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed May 25, 2011 5:06 pm

I rekon they are OK for surfers who use the rail more to turn, in my experience they worked pretty good in the biscuit,(wide tail, not much rocker). I lent mine (smalls) to a mate who hated em in his more standard board, but then he like to blow the fins all the time and defo surfs more vertical than me. Then again another mate refused to give em back in a standard squashtail 6'. The difference between the two is that rider one has never ridden a mal or a single, which demand rail, the other surfer is smoother and more technical in his surfing. Anyway, suck it and see is the go.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed May 25, 2011 7:11 pm

It was the trimming and pumping and racing sections that sucked for in this board me. Felt like I was going halk as fast as I usually do. Might be the flex on 'em. Bottom turns felt real solid and fast and smooth with a loading/uloading feeling just like I get with my single fin. Same off the top - never felt that much controll. But I just couldn't get the buggers going when I wanted when it was important. No point doing mamoth turns if ya can't make the wave.
Chillin, I'm the opposite of your mates - ride singles, mals and fishes mostly. I'm not 'technical' and I didn't like them. You are right. Suck it and see. So if anyone wants a set of mediums PM me. $100 including postage and the tin they came in.