bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by alakaboo » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Depends on the shape, more than the fins.
You could have a bonzer egg or a bonzer high performance shorty.

Some of those Aipas look sweet too.

Fong, are you sure you mean bonzers? Bonzers have some fairly specific bottom contours, you sure you don't mean widowmakers?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue May 03, 2011 10:06 pm

it's neither a bonzer or a widowmaker, he set it up as a quad with the thruster extra plug option...so being hopeless and loving mucking around with fins... we just sorta adaption of the standard thruster too a bonzer TYPE set up...so basicly the front fins are very small compared the rear centre...is that a bonzer or widowmaker :? :?:

and the results are in.....we all likly how much better the board goes 8) it was good b4...but it's magical now

also pulling the toe in on the front fins seems really loosen it up into short carving arks

it just works.....big time 8)

so the next logical step is explore the whole bonzer/ slash widow maker design

great posts everyone,,,,feel free educate me on the design.....it may be a shock

but i don't know everything :lol: :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Captain - i'm not much of an analyst when it comes to design - but from the pic, it has a pretty boxy tail with softer rails and less edge further up. Excellent hold and release, certainly not a board you snap at the lip with (at least with my ability). I'm not a big guy and really seem to have to get low and push on the tail to turn it hard to the top. The best part though, is once you're up there, the board does turn nicely and then glides down the wave on a high line, that's when you can move forward on the thicker middle and go warp speed :lol: Am very keen to get a tru ames bonzer fin 6 or 6.5 or a shapers fins and see how that works. The 9iner might be a tad overstated in the smaller stuff.
Purchase has some awesome 2+1 setups, (as well as quads) i like looking at his work here: http://solacestore.blogspot.com/

So many variations in both bonzer and 2 +1s and not enough money or time to ride them all. Be keen to hear more about Campbell Brothers bonzer designs from any aussies who own them? Or the Bing synchronizers? Checked out a few of those at sixounce, amazing concaves.
Attachments
fin copy.JPG
fin copy.JPG (65.98 KiB) Viewed 7978 times
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 04, 2011 7:53 am

Yep looking forward to Micks board. Yeah tons of hulls and stubbies at sixonce.....talk about a candy store. Neil Purchase Jr Snubbs look very good (2+1), and I have read his dad NP Snr makes an awesome Widow Maker.

If anyone has a Russ Short Campbell Bros Bonzer would be keen to hear feedback as the outline looks awesome.

Batoes, have a 6.5 True Aimes on my Bonzer, seems to go great but I've been recommnded to use a bamboo fin for beachies under 4ft. Let us know how the bonzer fin goes in the 2+1.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:it's neither a bonzer or a widowmaker, he set it up as a quad with the thruster extra plug option...so being hopeless and loving mucking around with fins... we just sorta adaption of the standard thruster too a bonzer TYPE set up...so basicly the front fins are very small compared the rear centre...is that a bonzer or widowmaker
As far as I understand it...and this is based on reading mainly, though most of my fave boards have been 2+1s:
Bonzers typically have deep concaves in a more-or-less hourglass shape, which supposedly help to funnel water past the fins. There is a lot of debate about whether the Venturi effect is involved, and whether they do anything. They also have highly canted fins near the rails (1 pair or 2) which are about 10 inches long and not much more than 1.5 inches high. They are meant to generate lift in a straight line, and hold in when on rail. The lift and deep concaves can make them track, but when banked over they turn really hard.
Normally the centre fin is a highly raked flexible fin in the 6-7 inch range, in a fin box.

A widowmaker (as far as I can tell is the same as a 2+1, just different terminology) typically has a single fin box in the middle, and 2 smaller sidebites. They can be faily straight like small keel fins on a fish, or toed in like a thruster.
More like what you've done.
mustkillmulloway wrote:it just works.....big time
so the next logical step is explore the whole bonzer/ slash widow maker design
Sure does. Go ahead and do it. My crap wave board is a 2+1, I had another super fun one but traded it with Topher, and just ordered a good-wave board with the setup.
I rate it.

doggie

Post by doggie » Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Davros wrote:Yep looking forward to Micks board. Yeah tons of hulls and stubbies at sixonce.....talk about a candy store. Neil Purchase Jr Snubbs look very good (2+1), and I have read his dad NP Snr makes an awesome Widow Maker.

If anyone has a Russ Short Campbell Bros Bonzer would be keen to hear feedback as the outline looks awesome.

Batoes, have a 6.5 True Aimes on my Bonzer, seems to go great but I've been recommnded to use a bamboo fin for beachies under 4ft. Let us know how the bonzer fin goes in the 2+1.
Vouch do a style of bonza in a hull style of board, there are heaps in 6ounce at the moment :)

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I noticed that batoes orange Mackie has appeared on feeBay.......

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Alas tis true - just sold a 7'7 jackson mid length and now the Mackie must go too, the liquidation has begun. My lousy hot water system blew up - $3400 .... but the real plan is more about me acquiring a smaller one from Mackie :D although rather than a bonzer i am thinking about one of his 2 + 1 set-ups like these below. These were on sale at sixounce, but i don't know whether they have any left around 5'9 or 5'10.
Never got round to the 6.5 bonzer fin - did have a good session on the bonzer a few weeks back in the big southerly swell at Windang Island - the pink board got a few eye rolls though :lol:
Just a tad on the big side for my 5'6 frame.
Attachments
IMG_1296.jpg
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue May 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Ah, bad luck about the water heater. But good luck with the board - I have my eye on a Mackie 5'9 fish I saw down at finbox in Thirroul. Had a feel of a nice 6'0 Hull today too - the Mackies really are beautifull looking boards.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Finbox and sixounce are excellent board stores - a tad dangerous on the wallet! Did you spy any of those Rake mini simmons at Finbox? Any other Mackies there? Yep Mackie's boards are awesome - his fish are the best (imo).
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue May 24, 2011 8:56 pm

I saw no other mackies today - just the 6'0 single and the fish - there are some whacked out looking vouch hull and vbottom things though. No rake mini sims, but a few other rakes though.

Off topic...but have you got/surfed a mackie fish? I like the look of the sidecuts.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

That's the one! Sidecut 5'6 about four years ago- maybe longer, blew me away. Remember thinking that it wouldn't float me! How wrong i was, i surfed it all day, and even enjoyed it on my backhand. I owned a Mark Rabbidge fish and we did a board swap - but had to give the Mackie back to the owner :roll: I haven't seen one in ages - just a lot of those wider tail fish he's doing. If you grab it, we'll start a new thread and stop buggering up this one :lol:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

lohit

Post by lohit » Thu May 26, 2011 2:55 pm

More for the longboarders, but Tiger Fish in Torquay have a 2nd hand, Campbell Bros longboard bonzer 3 fin, triple stringer, great looking board, good for down the line!!

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:17 pm

They do look like some of the old bonzers G&S used to make ...I guess Terry Bishop or Steve Griffiths (pre Emerald) shaped them back then. They seem very similar with the deep concave next to the bonzer fins...only diference they weren't 5 fins and of course they didn't use the modern refined bottom curves.

For the moment though I'll stick with my thrusters and quads.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Wow,deep concaves. Nice looking board...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 pm

loving All the pics in this thread....particularly that last yellow one

that one just looks right

cheers saltman for sharing 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 am

151DSC00809.jpg
Looks very much fun ya

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 am

A very nice looking one - if I had the money I would seriously be considering this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320761175678 ... 500wt_1156
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez