Recommend a shaper!

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Recommend a shaper!

Post by channels » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm

So I'm looking to get a couple of new boards, ideally from someone based on the Northern Beaches. I like boards with a touch more length and volume but not looking for a pop-out etc. Probably a quad and a thruster... I know of Haydenshapes, other suggestions?

buzzy
barnacle

Re: Recommend a shaper!

Post by buzzy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:47 pm

The normal obvious answer would be Grant Miller. What you've described is exactly what much of his client base wants. However, he's off travelling soon for the rest of the year and to my knowledge isn't taking any more orders for 2011.

One suggestion is to get a board from the great man, MR (Mark Richards). Sure, he's the upper northern beaches (aka Newcastle) but how often do you get the opportunity to get a board hand shaped by the 4 time world champion and one of the great designer/surfers of all time. And to deal with him personally - what a privilege. To me it'd be well worth a drive up to Newcastle. I have a friend who is a super competent surfer, still competing at club level in his 40's, and is almost frothing on his MR boards (he likes the quad).

I'm not sure whether Simon Anderson is still on the Northern Beaches or if he is up the Goldy way but he might also be an option. Being a bigger guy he's big on proper volume and I think I read he rides his Molusc model himself. 'nuff said.

Lastly, Aloha do some higher volume boards. Haven't dealt with them in 20 years or more. Also, Warner are up that way.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:50 pm

If you specifically want someone on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, have a chat to Mark Gnech. He shapes for Ozzie Wright and has some nice looking small wave boards from what I've seen. I don't know much about his more standard HPS shapes but I'm guessing they're ok.

I reckon you're better off getting a board from pridmore on these forums though, but everyone expects me to say that by now. It'll cost around the same or slightly less with shipping to Sydney. I've had my last four boards from Mark and they have all been top notch, hes a wizard who takes lots of time to listen to what you want and puts together a great board based on that.

Other people may have some different opinions. Shop around a little and see if you can have a bit of a chat to each shaper that you're considering before choosing.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

buzzy wrote:The normal obvious answer would be Grant Miller. What you've described is exactly what much of his client base wants. However, he's off travelling soon for the rest of the year and to my knowledge isn't taking any more orders for 2011.

. Also, Warner are up that way.

yes- i was thinking mr miller as i read his post

isn't warner eastern suberbs :?

i have had some awesome boards off luke short over the years....really good performance boards with still enuff volume too float a bigger guy

in conclusion :arrow:
i'd get a dahlberg :lol: .....
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?