Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:22 pm

The harmfulness of religion has long since been demonstrated and proved....but despite that I have to profess a now undying faith in the properties of the round-tailed quad.....sub sp. McKee set-up.

Mark made me a 6'3" QF which proved to be a sterling all-rounder that came to life in the upper end of it's wave range (2-6ft).

He made me two more: a new 6'3" with a slightly more refined foil for good surf and a 6'0" for smaller surf. It is the 6'0" to which I direct the following comments.

The board is very easy on the eye, especially the template curve and fits nicely under the arm; the rocker curve and rail shape feeling as pleasing as the curves of a young filly(such as I remember them to be, otherwise as cherry as my gorgeous wife).

The board surfs like it's bigger brother, which is to say, sure-footed, drivey and responsive. Mark's put more rail edge in the back half of the board so there's more release in the lip; it drives off the bottom and hooks a very tight turn from all manner of angles in the lip. It's easy riding high performance. Like all quads, it feels faster.
It carves harder.

There's more lift and drive back in the engine room compared to a thruster, less drag from the centre fin and way more control and hold than a twin fin.
Way more.

In 2-4ft pointbreak surf this board has stripped 15 yrs off my surfing life. Actually, I feel better on this board than I did at 25. Mckee quads reward surfing skills with reflexes perhaps declining with age; they give you back speed and time and control.

I've had some hand-foiled fibreglass fins made for this board (M3 and K2.1 fronts and G1000 rears) and that has just added so much extra life to the performance of this board. It's super easy to dial the fin set-up to suit your tastes.

I haven't got photes of the board being surfed but this is the kind of surf it's been out in.

These things are fcuking unreal.

I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

bohdidontsurf
Local

Re: Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

I hear you and absolutely agree with everything you say Steve...I have a reasonable quiver now and with the exception of one board....all mine are either rountail quads or roundtail 5 fin convertibles which....are mostly ridden as quads..the only exception is a diamond tail quad (which is very similar to ride as its roundtail colleagues)..Your perception about speed and timing for those of us that are no longer 15 and aiming to do rodeo clowns is spot on. Not that I was ever a contender..but I am now surfing better than I ever have and I put it down to quads first and foremost and the addition of roundtails to compliment the fin set up...for me its god bless Stretch...as his designs first caught my imagination and turned me on to one more.

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Great board, Mark shaped me a similar Quadfather at 6'0 19 3/4 2 9/16 over a year ago now and it's still going strong. It's my go to board for basically everything under 6ft in all conditions here in Vicco. The hype on this site was what got me onto his boards and I haven't been let down yet.

My MORE Double-D should be arriving in a couple of days too. Can't wait!

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 pm

If Dino was here he'd have a fcuken field day with this..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:40 am

jimmy1501 wrote:If Dino was here he'd have a fcuken field day with this..

rip :cry:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:43 am

quads are fu.cked....i've done some research

as nick knack suggested years ago

p.s b4taking pics of lovly flowers....spray them lightly with water from a spray bottle

really picks them and looks lot better in a shot..i know,,,cause.....i love plants :oops:

:oops:

i've got the best orchids :oops: :wink: :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:58 am

jimmy1501 wrote:If Dino was here he'd have a fcuken field day with this..

Yeah, it's a real fcuking shame about old Dino.

He emailed me the other day, poor bloke is doing it pretty tough.

Banned from his only social support network, more than 2 hr's from the surf and apparently the local farmers get the wrong idea when they see a man in lycra so he can't even ride his fixie anymore.

As a result of that and all that rich, fatty Kiwi food he's piled on a few pounds and had to get a new mini-mal made to float him (luckily Iggs was able to ring up the Kiwi shaper and spec it up for him).

Igg's the old trickster got the work experience kid to spray paint a ewe on the bottom of the board and the worst thing was they charged Dino extra for the deal.

I reckon we should let him come back so we can see the board.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:49 am

Put simply. I'm sold. Those waves that flower! Might just consider putting this year's tax return towards a sojourn north to Shepville. Ah yes a road trip. And who knows. As my devotion to the Hipster waxes and wanes, I may even be tempted to put some coin towards the Qld economy and jag me one of these quad thingys off you Prids. Shep be due for some kick back on the strength of such a good pitch.

Dino? !! Yes damn shame. All that valuable knowledge laid down in the archives ... pfft! Totally marcussed.
Still, I suspect he's happy, rippin' it up amongst the sheep shitted rolling green hills and lush pastures of enzed.
God bless his girthy swagger.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 am

Good old Dino the grouch...

I surprised you didn't order yourself a Swinger for the smaller size spectrum Steve, sounds like you learn more towards sure-tailed boards :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Yep, got my first one last year and I love it.

Mind you, I'm still working on getting the best out of it, and lack of action in surf as pictured in Steve's line-ups has been a major factor in that.

But I'm still dreaming.

Road trip is being planned.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Sick looking boards. Whill they go in sydney surf. Who shapes them
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:08 pm

happyripper wrote:Sick looking boards. Whill they go in sydney surf. Who shapes them
Thats pridmore of these forums, of MORE Surfboards.

I also have a 6'0" Quadfather and it goes really well in Sydney waves. I tend to surf it at points and reefs or when the swell is up around 5ft and over, mainly because the rocker and extra hold make it very sure-footed, dependable and very drivey around turns. I mean the tail will hold on some ridiculous late take-offs and I'm yet to make it slide out once.

For the more average day of Sydney surf 2-5ft I tend to prefer my 5'11" MORE Swinger model. Theres a lot more tail release and curve in the tail to throw it around the small places in small waves.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Shearer, I'm a thruster man through and through, although I do love my Webber Minifish twinnie when the conditions are right ( most weeks in Sydney ). I'm yet to be converted to quaddies so I'm no expert on the subject but everyone reckons they are faster than thrusters due to no centre fin drag. My question is, they have one more fin than a thruster so wouldn't that cause one more fin worth of drag? Does it have more to do with the wider tail or flatter bottom curve? The Minifish is a twin fin so the no centre fin theory applies there, but when the swell is half decent I'll put a third fin in and still back it to beat anything speedwise. I just can't get my head around quads being faster because of no centre fin...it's gotta be the foil....
By the way, that hat is another thread just waiting to happen.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 pm

One more thing Steve, the fin setup on that board looks way more effective to me than rear fins closer to the rails. I can start to accept the possibilities there. Have you surfed anything with a more rail oriented setup and if so, how do they compare.

Allan
regular

Post by Allan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

That's a gorgeous looking flower Steve. I'm quite fond of gardening and love the colours.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 pm

aaaarrrgggggghhhh me hearties, is that capn jack sparrow ridin quads?

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:38 pm

oldman wrote:Yep, got my first one last year and I love it.

Mind you, I'm still working on getting the best out of it, and lack of action in surf as pictured in Steve's line-ups has been a major factor in that.

But I'm still dreaming.

Road trip is being planned.
dont be mislead by those pics olds, those waves are empty for good reason, of which i wont divulge :wink:
although id surf them over the bra anyday.....

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:02 pm

steve I appreciate your love of cymbidiums but why didn't you go the whole hog and get mp to ink one onto your quadfather ?? wearing that hat ..and turning up at your local with said flower emblazoned on your stick should result in a bit more elbow room out in the line up for you.. especially if you start talking to yourself about olos and frequencies of 528 MHz or greater ....