Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:09 pm

What quads have done for me is open me up to a new type of board and surfing. Its not just the quad fins that are important in that, its the whole package. Seeing as you have a lot more hold with the quads, you can create more lift in the planshape and decrease the overall length (decreasing the hold from the rail itself). This lends to the shorter, stumpier, thicker style board but can still be surfed hard with plenty of control, but fits into smaller spots and needs less work to generate speed. Great fun in my books!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:31 pm

TrevG wrote: I'm saying that, although thrusters are used by most pros, that doesn't make them right for the average surfer.

Thrusters no good for the average surfer. yeah good one gramps
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:41 pm

happyripper wrote:
TrevG wrote: I'm saying that, although thrusters are used by most pros, that doesn't make them right for the average surfer.

A gem from the 7S rider. :roll:

And, yes. I am a grandfather. And proud of it.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:06 pm

So happy...apart from the quality surfboard that is the 7S, what other boards do you own?

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Hmmm now Trev G is saying (as a bit of a generalisation) that quads are more suited to the average joe.

Now obviously it all depends on the rest of the elements of the board, however in general terms i gotta disagree. I think a thruster is better suited than a quad for the average joe if turning the board is involved.
If you a just heading down the line with no turns, then take your pick. The quad may give you a bit more hold. If the 'average joe' wants to improve their turning technique then a thruster sure has its advantages.

As for thrusters 'bleeding speed', that's more the surfer than the board itself. There are plenty of very fast thrusters out there. Its more to do with the other aspects of board design than the fins.
There is room for both thrusters and quads no doubt.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:31 pm

TrevG wrote:
happyripper wrote:

A gem from the 7S rider. :roll:

And, yes. I am a grandfather. And proud of it.
WELL WHAT Do you ride.

Thrusters have been pretty the most popular design ever in the history of surfing but you reckon they're no good for the average surfer.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 pm

i see your point trev.....of course some pll will surf better on quads

some ppl surf better on singles :!: /twins/no fins even 8)

but as a proven performace design.....in the highest level short board surfing on earth (asp...a couple heats does not a design make...im my eyes anyway steve :wink: )

it has no runs on the board :idea: ( what eva happened twinnys anyways...like they won four titles...why ain't they just as popular :? )

they will be....soon everyone be raving about twinnys

just got wait till the quad fad fizzles out...soon :idea:

twins will be next best thing :!: :lol:

p.s don't take there bait happy....there just haters

p.p.s i'm not bitchin on the design...just notein the hype around it...after what ? 4 years being popular...hasn't really cut it on the pro tour has it!
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 pm

happyripper wrote: Thrusters have been pretty the most popular design ever in the history of surfing but you reckon they're no good for the average surfer.
You see happy. That's exactly where your problem lies. You can't read. I didn't say they are no good for the average surfer.
TrevG wrote:
happyripper wrote:

I said that the fact they are used by most pros doesn't make them right for the average surfer. You extrapolated that into, "Thrusters no good for the average surfer".

If you can't see the difference there, I feel sorry for you.
Try to get an everyday driver to drive a Formula One race car or a WRC car to anywhere near it's potential and see how you go.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Fong, if quads have been around for four years and thrusters for what? 35 years?
How many hours have you spent on thrusters and how many on quads.
So, how well do you reckon you'd go on a quad with the same number of hours under your belt?
TBH I have no idea which is best but feedback I've had from guys and from watching guys surfing both suggests to me that the thruster is maybe just a little bit too high performance for the average (and above) rider to get the best out of. I just think if enjoyment is what it's all about, a quad might be better and give more opportunities to get the most out of the wave.
The only personal experience I've had with a quad is the swinger with length. Compared to the thruster set ups I'm used to it seems to be easier to ride but part of that may be the plan shape of course.
Beanpole

Skipper

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 pm

TrevG wrote:Fong, if quads have been around for four years and thrusters for what? 35 years?
How many hours have you spent on thrusters and how many on quads.
So, how well do you reckon you'd go on a quad with the same number of hours under your belt?
TBH I have no idea which is best but feedback I've had from guys and from watching guys surfing both suggests to me that the thruster is maybe just a little bit too high performance for the average (and above) rider to get the best out of. I just think if enjoyment is what it's all about, a quad might be better and give more opportunities to get the most out of the wave.
The only personal experience I've had with a quad is the swinger with length. Compared to the thruster set ups I'm used to it seems to be easier to ride but part of that may be the plan shape of course.
When did you get on Mark P's payroll Trev H?
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:41 am

jimbob...no ones on marks payroll...sure he can make a decent..in fact great board and credit where due....reading his surf report...his local is without par the best most conisistant wave in oz.....never under two foot :lol:

( teasin :P )

it's just a friendly debate about quads and how over rated they are :lol:

or not....depends which side the hype u are :wink:

a lot shapers wont post on here given the flak they cop...why?

they just want share there designs...ideas...and get feed back

thats not a crime :idea:

if they sell a few boards...who gives a fig....good i think...fuck the global imports up :!:

i'm not pissing in marks shoes.....i've had a quad off him...and really enjoyed it

my new huie quad goes even better.....i just....really got be on my game surf it

i find....i'm very slack on it....i have good surfs...or lousy surfs

no inbetween :shock: ....but thats just me :idea:

like my last board off mark we spoke about the issues...i think he was right....i need go bit longer...6'6 has always been a good number for me

it's sometimes hard explain a shaper whats working and whats not....words fail me...often....but...u can't b progressive...if u can't give honest feedback :?:

it's all r and d.....u got shed a few tears get that magic baby

the whole quad fad has really took off and forced shapers solve all associated issues

so they now go

NEARLY AS GOOD A THRUSTER :mrgreen:

lets talk about surfboards....really doesn't matter who makes em :idea:

p.s trev.......leave us shortboarders alone.....we can sort it for ourself ok...
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 am

Personally I'm not a big fan of Quads. But can see their benefits in certain types of waves, and for certain types of surfers.

There is not just 3 types of surfers, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. There is thousands of variables within each level of surfing ability, and how individual surfers approach riding a wave.

For myself there is a window where they work well, specifically with the style of quad Steve speaks of here. Good, clean, long walled waves. The feel of hold and projection through the generally rounder, carvier turns is just right. I've mentioned before they work much like a 6 channell for me, and in the right waves will outperform a thruster. unfortunately those conditions don't come round often enough :x .

In your average beachies, they don't work for me at all. Their drawbacks for my style of surfing arise. It's mostly to do with how they release out of a turn, and being unforgiving in certain circumstances. At the end of the day, a thruster is far more versatile for my approach. In the good, down the line waves the quad will be only slightly ahead of a thruster, yet in most other conditions the thruster will be miles ahead for me.

Other people will have larger scope in surf conditions where a quad works well for them, maybe all conditions. It's not neccesarily about skill levels. It's more about what a surfer is trying to get out a wave, their approach and angles of attack. It really just re-affirms the point that surfing is not a 1 size fits all, and there is a future in custom made boards. And that great outcomes can come from working with a shaper towards getting just the right board for an individual surfer, as shown by Steve and Mark.

By the way Trev, have I missed something here? Or does no-one realise Happyripper is Dino?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:47 am

tiger wrote:By the way Trev, have I missed something here? Or does no-one realise Happyripper is Dino?
shit. i thought he was kmd :?

dino, you're FREAKIN ME OUT MAN!
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:21 pm

happyripper wrote:I've got a S7 super fish quad . I love it. I'm thinking of getting a new bord . How do you reckon your bords woud compare. How much are they and what shops in Sydney sell them
Sorry Happy, there's no shops in the western suburbs stocking More surfboards and even if they did, they probably wouldn't sell one to a red head. Instead, take the fins off your S7 and stick them onto the top of an inflatable mattress and see how your surfing improves.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Little wrote:
happyripper wrote:I've got a S7 super fish quad . I love it. I'm thinking of getting a new bord . How do you reckon your bords woud compare. How much are they and what shops in Sydney sell them
Sorry Happy, there's no shops in the western suburbs stocking More surfboards and even if they did, they probably wouldn't sell one to a red head. Instead, take the fins off your S7 and stick them onto the top of an inflatable mattress and see how your surfing improves.
can I have a go on your inflatable mattress little?

Otherwise known as your wife.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 pm

happyripper wrote:
Little wrote:
can I have a go on your inflatable mattress little?

Otherwise known as your wife.
Ha ha, nice one dinosaur.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:18 pm

offshore1 wrote:
tiger wrote:By the way Trev, have I missed something here? Or does no-one realise Happyripper is Dino?
shit. i thought he was kmd :?

dino, you're FREAKIN ME OUT MAN!
:lol: :lol:
Maybe we could have a poll to see who thinks who is Dino.

KMD, Allan, happyripper......................... all newbies but forum savvy. In fact, all REALSURF forum savvy. :wink:
Beanpole

Skipper

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm

haha welcome back old friend, he must be really biting his tongue at this quad thread...ha ha haaaa :P

I think another important concept with quads is how much fin you have for a certain tail width. A single center fin on a thruster isn't much hold at all for wide-tailed dumpster diver/white diamond style boards. Great for tail release, but not the easiest ride for the average surfer.

Bung two rear fins and make it a quad, and you can have the glide and control together.

Horses for courses I say, just surf a wide range of boards and make up your mind what flavor you want. Mini-Simmons twinny, quad fish, HPS thruster, or a bit of everything...Who cares except for the person who owns and rides it? :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.