Concaves

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slowman
regular

Concaves

Post by Slowman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:49 pm

I've had a couple of boards with single to double concaves and they perform very well under my feet, one is a quad and one is a thruster (Webber Afterburner).

I've been eyeing off the JS Industries Kingpin which is a single to double to V which looks fast and very manoeuverable but I saw this Sam Egan board for sale and it is a double concave within a V for most of the length of the board. Anyone ridden one, what are they like?

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Concaves

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 am

not exactly sure ofthe specifics but if its similar to what I think, they are generally very easy to put on rail, they have a bit of lift and fairly quick too...main thing I know that similar bottom shapes do is they wanna be busy, surfed up and down and like to surf in and around the pocket...but depends on rocker and planshape too obviosly...but good shaper so sure it'd go well, just a matter if it is what you need and if it suits the waves you surf......so that doesnt help you at all probably..... :roll:

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Mark, thanks for the assessment. There are 2 beaches I mainly surf, Garie and Cronulla. Garie is usually a foot or two bigger than Cronulla and generally breaks faster and more powerfully than Cronulla, since Cronulla's beaches are contained in a bay with a shallower bottom. The waves at Garie come out of deeper water, the ocean trench comes right up to it bringing in more swell....it also brings in more sharks too! Anyway, sounds like the board should do fine in the types of waves I mainly surf. I've also been sniffing round the QFs on your site too and I can't find any indication of price. Could you give a rough indication?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:48 pm

$580 for a custom QF mate....$530 for thrusters.... 8)

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 am

pridmore wrote:$580 for a custom QF mate....$530 for thrusters.... 8)
Wow! Thanks for the info good to know.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 am

Slowman wrote:I've had a couple of boards with single to double concaves and they perform very well under my feet, one is a quad and one is a thruster (Webber Afterburner).

I've been eyeing off the JS Industries Kingpin which is a single to double to V which looks fast and very manoeuverable but I saw this Sam Egan board for sale and it is a double concave within a V for most of the length of the board. Anyone ridden one, what are they like?
I've ridden a few single to doubles with vee, I like them. Its a feeling like loose trunks on a skateboard and it gives you feedback of a centreline into and out of turns. Likes to be busy as Mark said.

I like the feeling of acceleration/lift from a good double too, kind of like it concentrates the pressure and energy under you when you put pressure into the board to turn.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:... I like them. Its a feeling like loose trunks on a skateboard and it gives you feedback of a centreline into and out of turns. ...
If you have loose trunks that centreline you're talking about is your crack :D

Jokes aside thanks for the feedback. Just pulled the trigger on a Kingpin. Too bad today is a waste of time at both Cronulla and Garie. Point is crowded and no really good and everywhere else is closing out, saw about half a dozen guys try paddling out up and down the beach, all failed, although one guy at Wanda managed to catch a big foamy that reformed in the shore break then came in.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 pm

pridmore wrote:$580 for a custom QF mate....$530 for thrusters.... 8)

local knowledge.noosaville....near the tab/pub :roll: ..has thrusters for $450

( locally built :shock: )....just sayinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

nice shapes too 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:30 am

wow, and to think I get bagged by people on here for doing them too cheap....must be the only thing in Noosa that is cheap....

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 am

pridmore wrote:wow, and to think I get bagged by people on here for doing them too cheap....must be the only thing in Noosa that is cheap....
Easy to guess what side of the counter most of those complaints are coming from.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:06 pm

pridmore wrote:wow, and to think I get bagged by people on here for doing them too cheap....must be the only thing in Noosa that is cheap....
How about the old Drew Anderson boards? $425 custom, I think it might have been $450 with delivery to the shop?

I read a lot of people who said they ended up getting what they paid for with those...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 am

it's bloody crazy.....like this is 86 prices :shock:

they are just stockies...but ...there ok...i'd ride one

but i can get a custom shotgun for $500 8)

minus fins

the local industry ....is fighting back against the imports only way it can....lowering prices

the great asian na papa goldy sell out still has effects

( i know guys who paid $25 a new board if they got 10)

i prefer side with roy....boards are under valued :idea:

say a standard shorty cost 10 k

would u pay for one :?:

if thats wat i had too , to surf...i'd find the money...somehow

and be worth every cent....cause 90% the crowd....be goneeeeeeeeeee 8)

p.s i think boards should sell by feet....i.e $100 a foot

p.p.s sorry about the hijack slowman :oops: ....i like a single concave with a v around the back fin
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

disappointed
Grommet

Post by disappointed » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 am

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:...
p.p.s sorry about the hijack slowman :oops: ....i like a single concave with a v around the back fin
NP, Fong it is required I think as part of forum etiquette to add some spontaneous combustion occasionally.

Hmmm, some of the bikes I ride retail for around the $10K mark (but you're a mug if you pay RRP) and the boutique stuff is heading towards $20K, although from about $3K up you can get a decent road or mountain bike, start at $4K if you want carbon fibre. Anyway as expensive as that is sales in both are growing and it is reflected in greater numbers riding on the road and on the trails. So I don't think higher prices will stop the crowds...however, it might change who is in the crowd. Surfing might just become the new golf!

Anyway, I got to try the kingpin yesterday at Garie which was still solid 6'+ early and probably the best day for quite some time. I probably should have taken my other board out as I know what I'm doing on it but with a brand new board how can you not?

The Kingpin (I got the 6'2" model as I'm 183cm and 90kg) is the most lively board I've ever ridden. It turns so effortlessly in the tightest arcs. I was pulling turns in places I'd never though of, it just seemed to do it by itself. No even a hint of slide, it just held and would turn anywhere. The thing handles a drop too. I more or less went over the falls on a late one but stood up anyway and made the drop over the falls and over the exploding foam and out onto clean water...didn't have a chance in hell of making the wave but still got a roller coaster ride!

It seems to like the pocket and the steep parts of the wave and turn anywhere you want to go. Heading down and not at the bottom yet and want to turn straight back up and go off the top? Not a problem, and it absolutely flies off the top - had to hang on it seemed to accelerate and get even more projection. I'm an old fart and I reckon I'll be able to do an air on this thing if I start having a go.

That's all the positive stuff. Maybe because it is new I couldn't quite link all the turns and get some flow. When I went out onto the face to carve a nice cutback it would just whip around too tightly and I'd lose speed and flow and I'd have to push and pump to get it moving again. Maybe I need some bigger fins, I'm using a Rusty R2 quad set that uses a QR rears - I'll swap in some GXQs, failing that some Q1000s to stiffen things up a bit. I'm thinking of buying a GAM quad set with Q1000 rears that should increase the drive. The R2/QRs work great in my bat tail quad, which is a stiffer board by comparison, though it is still loose, but I think the kingpin is too loose for these and seems to lack a bit of drive. Maybe I should just persevere for a bit longer and learn the board a bit more.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

sounds great, glad you are stoked on it...perservere and suss it out, after a while its easier to make fin choices, just gotta know what the board does, then fin decisions are simpler.... 8)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Actaully have one of the King Pins, if you like loose boards and or single to double to V they are great boards I reckon up to 4 ft. I think the JS Prodidy is a little my refined for better stuff. I have heard mroe than one person say the JS Revolution is the best board they have ridden...sounds like I work for JS but easily the best off the rack board I have.