Gravy

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chillin
charger

Gravy

Post by Chillin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:28 am

Anyone ridden one?
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Gravy

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:59 pm

no...and this :arrow:

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... in=1686514

everything old is new again :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanx muskil. I'v had a few local made boards, some good some bad, but for the most part just ok. My biggest gripe with local product, at least around here, is that they are worth f'all second hand.Pay $600 for a newy and even a coupla months later they are worth squat and you may as well give em away to a needy grom.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:57 pm

be fair ..bmd and sfd used( :?: ) give a fair tradin if it was one there boards :idea:

have they stop this :?:

i've seen em lose money on trades cause...it's a way looking after locals :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Chillin wrote:Anyone ridden one?

No, but checked them out this weekend and am keen on learning more or having a go. Agree re devaluation of local sticks, i just sold a 1 year old thruster (few solid dings, and self repaired cracks - but water tight), for $100 to a needy kid. Would've got more via ebay, but couldn't be bothered.

Anyone ridden a Santa Cruz board? love that skating link but don't wanna waste time and money if it's just a marketing hype...
If it feels good, do it.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Snapped an SFD duckdiving, not to impressed after 4 weeks usage. Had a go on a mates 5'11'' SFD quad the other week and was a nice board, very fast and fun, but just can't find it in myself to buy another. Brads (BMD) boards are very popular and quality has improved out of sight. I have heaps of mates that love em, but I like to ride something out of the ordinary. My current board is a Merrick biscuit, bought new for $600, so good value. This thing is a fair dinkum doddle to catch waves on and will let you sit with 9' mals but at 6'2''x3''x201/4'' its a boat in the bendy bits and almost as hard to duckdive as the mal, so hence my enquiry about the gravy.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Chillin wrote:Snapped an SFD duckdiving, not to impressed after 4 weeks usage. .

did u take it back :?: u should get look after...tho i heard he got a big shinny showroom now

guess someones got pay for it :cry:

wat brads boards lacked in quality got made up in performance..imo

i rate merricks designs...and for boards made on the cheap out asia they got a good feel / quality too them :roll:

p.s just on price...the going "local"price up here is $500...have your own fins....whats doing down there :shock:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 pm

$500 for a new board and the shaper is still making coin?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Looks like a pretty typical short and stumpy semi-fish. The old reconfiguring volume thing by making a short board buoyant and still turn well. I don't see anything breakthrough there to be honest...

Looks like a good balance between planshape curve, buoyancy and the glide of a semi-fish. Nothing another shaper can't put together well :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Chillin wrote:$500 for a new board and the shaper is still making coin?

a good/ well run factory...last i asked produces a new board for just less than $300

even with a spray :idea: ...but that will depend on size...bigger isn't always best....most guys in it longterm have that figured out and will baulk at more than 3 staff on the books
but those 3 staff will be able build more boards per day than a dozen others :wink:
the crap chinna popouts cost @ least half that....landed and shipped in our country

thus there appeal....a surfshop can sell local made for $600 after buying for $450

or global crap for $690 after buying for $250
these are bulk prices on twenty plus boards contract agreements..it gets a lot cheaper both local and import when u start buying boards in the 100's..... :idea:

u don't have b a rocket scientist do ya :wink:

p.s have i said too much :?: ...i'll edit it down if anyone in the industry wants protection :roll:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Few! less than $300! Okay muskil riddle me this. If they make a board that sells for that price how much profit is there? Okay, for arguments sake, lets say they make $100 a board. Three people working need a wage bill of...say... $800.00 each net, thats $2400 just for wages each week. So they need to sell 24 boards a week just to pay the wages. That doesn't include anything else like rent, electricity, water, manufacturing requirements (resin, fibreglass, fin boxes, sandpaper etc). I dunno mate, but someone is making boards just for the love of it and maybe that is what is wrong with the industry. For mine, I rekon if I see a product and I like the concept and design, then I buy it, price is incidental and I don't mind paying top dollar for good design and quality work.Mind you, and I may step on toes here too, I refuse to pay someone to copy a design that has been researched and developed by someone else. For instance, I would not buy a copy of a Black beauty no matter how cheap it was.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Chillin wrote:Few! less than $300! Okay muskil riddle me this. If they make a board that sells for that price how much profit is there? Okay, for arguments sake, lets say they make $100 a board. Three people working need a wage bill of...say... $800.00 each net, thats $2400 just for wages each week. So they need to sell 24 boards a week just to pay the wages. That doesn't include anything else like rent, electricity, water, manufacturing requirements (resin, fibreglass, fin boxes, sandpaper etc). I dunno mate, but someone is making boards just for the love of it and maybe that is what is wrong with the industry. For mine, I rekon if I see a product and I like the concept and design, then I buy it, price is incidental and I don't mind paying top dollar for good design and quality work.Mind you, and I may step on toes here too, I refuse to pay someone to copy a design that has been researched and developed by someone else. For instance, I would not buy a copy of a Black beauty no matter how cheap it was.
haha then don't buy Al Merrick. I've read plenty of posts on forums telling stories about him copying someone else's design and re-branding it as his own.

Thats shaping though, certain general things work well together and will be repeated, but every shaper will have their own take on the subtleties and how they work together. If they are really creative and make anything radical from the norm it tends to create unease, such as Mark's Swinger, mini-simmons in general, and Dan Tomo's micro hulls.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 pm

if boards are made OS for alot cheaper, why are they the same price or dearer in Oz ?
I hate this subject and already wish I didnt bother with the post.....I'll just keep making me boards coz I love to and make very little money for now.....and maybe forever..... :roll:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 am

I'm glad you posted Prids, you confirmed my point, you make em for the love of it. They sell cheap OS made boards at the same price so they can make money, maybe so they can afford to keep playing with unpopular designs and experimenting? By the way, I'v orderd the Gravy 5'11'', I'll let you all know how it goes.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm

They come with futures boxes, apparently because Machado is sponsored by them. I ordered mine with FCS cos I'v got shitloads of them and no futures at all.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:17 pm

thats a bit harsh, I reckon yo got a good future ahead of you.... :roll:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 pm

at 55 my futures behind me! :P

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:20 pm

It finally arived friday arv, it feels tiny compared the the big fat biscuit. its dims: 5'11"x20"x21/2". Had an early on it yestd, first impression, paddles easy, is quick and super smooth in the turns.