Mal Riders

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Re: Mal Riders

Post by bumfluff » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 am

bumfluff wrote:While refining the "barrell chested seagull approach" at Cooly on the weekend, my 6'4 copped a fin through it.

It was utter carnage with 4 or 5 dropping in at a time... :(
For the second time in a week my 6'4 has copped someone elses board. This time the nose of a tufflite. Caved my rail in.

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 am

Karlos wrote:I was speaking to a guy I train in martial arts with a while back at the pub & talk got onto surfing & he revealed he rode a SUP. After a somewhat awkward period of silence broken by me trying to be polite (honest, I did try not to be mean) & him looking ready for a fight (very defensive he was), he did reveal that he cops most grief from mal riders now that there's a craft that can snake & better pick up waves than they can. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyway a few weeks later we were sparring & the fcuker managed to break my nose. He swore it had nothing to do with anything I said about his surfcraft of choice, but I'm not too sure that he was being totally honest with me.
See?, he couldn't restrain himself... just like when he's SUPping, no doubt.
You may be surprised to hear that they only appeared at my local for the first time last year, and there are only a few, but what a bunch of crunts!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

'llo-and Behold wrote:See?, he couldn't restrain himself... just like when he's SUPping, no doubt.
You may be surprised to hear that they only appeared at my local for the first time last year, and there are only a few, but what a bunch of crunts!
Some of the SUP's at my local start up conversations - this can be disarming as it diffuses any ill-feelings that may otherwise fester. Luckily they don't take all the waves and leave some for us.
Then again it helps as most SUP's act alone - I would hate to be surrounded by six of them in the lineup :shock:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:20 am

oldman wrote:In all honesty, it isn't the mal riders, it's the social club surfers who usually happen to be riding mals. You know the types, out there more for a chat and because it seemed like a better idea than going to church. Just want to turn up to say they were out there. Make sure they get in the way. Threaten everybody with their lack of control over their craft and general proximity to a nascent dementia.

Sit in the car park you old buggers and talk shit there. You don't even have to paddle out. :mrgreen:
Know that realm, Olds. Up at Seal Rocks last weekend and surfed for a fair while predominantly with just the person I was travelling with, wasn’t long before the ‘club’ were out to join us. One guy complete with butterfly tape to the corner of his eye from what I can only imagine was an incident with either his board or a clubmate’s. :mrgreen: Talking about take-off on anything :?

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 am

hey ric, i was up there a few weekends before. seals had shoulder to head high sets, but bumpy but from the NE winds from Vania. 'round the corner was heaps better.
my mate & i were looking at seals before heading home on sunday arvo, but man, there were loads of kooks out there. it actually looked dangerous as the conditions were beyond the capabilitries of most participants.!
i ride a mal on the very small days when at home. i get a lot of waves on it, compared to other guys in the water, or the older less fit guys on mals. i find i need to sit further out to guide the 9'1" monstrosity into the wave earlier.
no real way of avoiding it.
but most of the time, when i'm on a shorty, avoiding the mals means taking off more inside than them., up here i must be blessed because the older mal riders sit waaaaaaaaaay out on the shoulder, so not a prob.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Last edited by Rustt on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:23 pm

I ride a log and a shorty, does that mean I drop in and snake myself?

And those who ride SUPs can smoke a dick (except the cool ones I know...who also rips on mals and shorties...fck this is confusing)

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm

marcus_h wrote:I ride a log and a shorty, does that mean I drop in and snake myself?

And those who ride SUPs can smoke a dick (except the cool ones I know...who also rips on mals and shorties...darn this is confusing)
Just quoting this one ... to prove that you are related to guard ... and have no idea what the essence of surfing actually is.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:48 pm

think you might have your wires crossed...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 am

Womble wrote:
marcus_h wrote:I ride a log and a shorty, does that mean I drop in and snake myself?

And those who ride SUPs can smoke a dick (except the cool ones I know...who also rips on mals and shorties...darn this is confusing)
Just quoting this one ... to prove that you are related to guard ... and have no idea what the essence of surfing actually is.
marcus_h is definitely not marcus.
They live in different States, have different surfing interests and different professions.
And marcus_h rides both shorty and log extremely well.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 am

Womble wrote:

WOOPS ... SORRY ... :oops:

I apologise and retract the statement ... claiming temporary insanity ... bought on through the heat and boredom in Fremantle ... mixed with easy access to vast quantities of high quality lubrication ... after removing the beer goggles and stepping out into the sobering morning light ... I have seen my error in judgement ... so in a weakly veiled attempt at trying to project the blame elsewhere ... let me point out that the statement in question does hold a very close resemblance to one of guards little gems ... hence the reason for my altered stated half arsed lack of sobriety conclusion jumping response ... :roll:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 am

^^^^^^^^^^^ Nah.

You gotta make allowances for the fact that he's stuck in Fremantle. :roll:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:22 am

Funny shit :lol:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri May 13, 2011 12:32 am

it does do your head in after a while

i've decided just hate everyone else in the water regardless wat they riding...thus taking the high non raciest or elitelist ground

i think everyone else who surfs is fu.cked

u should all go play golf...posers :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:

it does do your head in after a while

i've decided just hate everyone else in the water regardless wat they riding...thus taking the high non raciest or elitelist ground

i think everyone else who surfs is fu.cked

u should all go play golf...posers :lol:
I agree Fong. 8)
You can get some cheap golf clubs at Cash Converters. :wink:
Beanpole

Skipper