Mal Riders

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Mal Riders

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 am

How do you deal with Mal riders who sit just out from you and take every single wave?

climbo
Grommet

Re: Mal Riders

Post by climbo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 am

get one yourself, or surf waves most mal riders don't like, i.e. steep barreling ones.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 am

I've had a mal once in my life and had to sell it cause I went into a coma from sheer boredom.

Hollow waves would be ideal but unfortunately they're not always on offer.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Mals have their place, as climbo says its all just about where you ride them.

Given the right conditions they can be great
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Hatchman wrote:Mals have their place, as climbo says its all just about where you ride them.

Given the right conditions they can be great
Sure Hatchy. But what does one do when you have a wave hog. Do I become more aggressive and just start dropping in on him? Swear to god, if I didn't, I would not get a wave some days.

It's not so bad when the swell is consistant, but when theres long waits inbetween sets.....

On rare occassions when it's like this and it's crowded, you can have 3 or 4 on a wave at the same time and no-one cares cause they know theres no other way.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Its the difference between getting lots of waves and all the waves. Its particularly relevant to mal riders but I'm sure nearly everyone has been out in a surf where someone is determined to get every wave no matter what. Sometimes they even seem to think everyone else is excited that they just breathlessly managed to paddle back out and snare the next good wave after they had snared the last and the last and the last. No we aren't. Oh no, you weren't quite in position so you blew it but you'll still take the next one anyway?

Great. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Worst example I've ever experienced was at the Pass last September. I still can't work out whether the guy was trying to provoke a fight with everyone of every age in the water or he really thought we were all stoked that he was having such fun snaking everyone mercilessly.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Gentlemen the solution is simple

In honour of our dearly departed friend

MKAAAW!!! MKAAW!!!!

Be......the seagull

Or do what I did, get a mal shaped with a flat rocker for maximum paddle speed and drive and beat the cnuts at their own game at breaks where mals are frequent :twisted:
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm

:lol: :lol:

The seagull sounds like the better option. I've been doing it lately, it seems to be working...

Dug uses a different technique called the "growl" which is just as effective.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:20 pm

bumfluff wrote:How do you deal with Mal riders who sit just out from you and take every single wave?
Sit inside the buggers and paddle like all hell, and take your longest board.

In spite of the great paddling advantage of having a mal, most of them are ridden by fat gutted bloated lazy post-life crisis boomers, and they don't actually sit any further out than a committed short boarder.

Don't let the bastards paddle past ya, keep paddling with 'em. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good luck.

And BTW, always remember to flick off as soon as you have past every surfer so you are back in the lineup as soon as possible and nobody else can enjoy the wave you have just hogged.

That's the mal way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 pm

oldman wrote: Sit inside the buggers and paddle like all hell, and take your longest board.
Yea I usually try and sit just inside them if I can. It's hard on a point though when doing this usually means getting sucked into the rocks.
oldman wrote: In spite of the great paddling advantage of having a mal, most of them are ridden by fat gutted bloated lazy post-life crisis boomers, and they don't actually sit any further out than a committed short boarder.
You're certainly right about the first bit.
oldman wrote: And BTW, always remember to flick off as soon as you have past every surfer so you are back in the lineup as soon as possible and nobody else can enjoy the wave you have just hogged.
:lol: :lol: I like your way of thinking, but I'm often at Snapper. If i did that I'd end up at Kirra :D

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Get a jet ski.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:09 pm

.....or a SUP. The gay gondolers seem to get lots of waves.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:04 pm

there are wankers ride all sorts of surf craft, dont think we can say any particular group are bad, its the individuals and if anyone gets all the waves and is way too greedy, I do my best to position myself and get waves from them, without snaking or dropping in if possible....I like to get alot of waves too but never get too greedy and dont snake or drop in much 8)

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:28 am

Well, if there are a pair of you, it's very simple: both of you drop in and the inside one straightens out while the outside one gets the wave! Then repeat and swap places. You could do this until he paddles away or maybe if he is a regular at the break suggest taking turns, his choice. But after a few waves of being dropped in on the reasonableness of that proposition might become very agreeable.

Where I surf it is a real mixture of short boards and mals amongst the regulars and everyone plays fair. The breaks don't favour mals too much anyway, it only seems to be on weekends this sort of thing occasionally happens.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Was at a nice break up the coast, got up and paddled out about 15 minutes before sunrise.

1 SUP already out there, 2 mals, within a short time all the locals are out, and most are mal riders, mid to late 50's and quite frankly, while they are enjoying themselves, they are mostly just getting in the way of people who can surf, and me. Nice overhead waves, but such a tragedy to see so many mals and SUPS out there.

Nearly got killed by a 60+ year old imbecile. God knows how I didn't come to grief.

Such a waste of a good wave.

God those SUP riders are just the end. Worth giving up surfing just to avoid ever seeing them again.

Worth selling the holiday house just to avoid them. They are going to dominate that area for another decade.

Funny thing though, I was at another place in peak mid summer, and the crowds there were smaller than mid winter. Heaps of people, just not so many surfers.

Those high summer rents must have kept the surfers away. Couldn't believe my luck.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Buy a high volume mini-simmons and beat them at their own game, while out-surfing them because your board is 5' nothin and theirs is 9ft something :P :P
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 pm

We have a solid representation of mals down here most of the crew, slot in well and can handle the break and their wave count to be respected among all, the blow in mal riders just don't get the rhythm and sharing the locals have.

We are also very protective of our female surfers and our upcoming groms, ( they have to be reminded of manners occasionally)
We include visitors unless they transgress then aaaaaawking seagull iggifuckation by a flock of us.

Good news on another front there are quite a few 2nd hand SUPs on Ebay it remains to be seen whether this is from guys upgrading or quitting, hope it's the latter.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Daytrader

Post by Daytrader » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 am

Starting to see Meyerhoffers for the first time on eBay as well.