Round-tail quads Reefbreak round-up.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Round-tail quads Reefbreak round-up.

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 am

steve shearer wrote:Just to bring it back to the title of the thread: this is about riding quads in step-ups and guns.

As ridden by Mark Healy, Tom Carroll, Jeff Clark, Nathan Fletcher etc etc etc.

Maybe as Natho has suggested via Maurice they are not quite ideal for tow boards but for paddle-in applications I believe the ads far outweigh the disadvantages.

Adjust the fin area to taste.

This thread is not about riding quads in fishy type boards.

Carry on.
Distractable bunch we are... sorry Steve :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm

The thing is Steve, I think quads can be ideal in Tow boards and i don't think Maurice was completely writing em off. When you want to head down the line and outrun a monster with plenty of hold then I think they could be ideal. Maurice's comments were relating to when you want to turn the board off the top . Lets face it, when surfing a monster wave one is not always thinking about whipping of the top of the thing. Plenty of guys are now riding quads out at Mavs and the like,and they are the type of waves where you are more thinking about hold and out running the thing.
So when talking about a board for good waves I guess it depends what you are looking to achieve with the wave. Quads certainly have a place I would say.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Natho and all of you quad naysayers have you actually whatched nathan fletcher tow monster mavs ? or rip the bag out of 1st and second reef pipe on a 5'8 quad?? if you did you would feel that warm glow of embarrassment one gets when you realise you don't know what you are talking about ... YouTube nathan Fletcher and have a look .. btw Natho you must be a little lightweight ..that joystick on eBay woul suit my 11 year old son

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Bohdid, it doesn't look like you have much to offer this discussion other than a big nasty chip on your shoulder.
People are always going to have different opinions to you. Thats what forums are about. It just so happens that some of those offering such opinions are riding quads and thrusters. The fact that you only ride quads and nothing else kind of narrows your contribution to the discussion.

i don't see too many quad 'naysayers' on here. mabye go back and read peoples posts. They are just offering a difference of opinion to yours. At the end of the day no one is right or wrong, its all opinions. Just accept that some opinions differ to yours.

You may be heavily influenced by what Nathan Fletcher rides. But he also rips on sigle fins, twinnies, and thrusters as well as quads. So what's your point?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 am

simplesimon wrote: You may be heavily influenced by what Nathan Fletcher rides. But he also rips on sigle fins, twinnies, and thrusters as well as quads. So what's your point?
At the end of the day its about riding whatever you find fun right? What other reason should you need? :)

Nathan seems to be happy to branch out and mix things up...

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 am

Simon youre a lightweight...why dont you start a thread called "closed minded surfers who follow the pack and only ride thrusters". You and Natho can stimulate each other over there...mentally and physically. My point was simplesimon (gee mate you nailed that description of yourself) is that all the things you say are hard or cant be done on quads are actually being done with ease by the likes of Nathan Fletcher, Kelly, etc etc. My point wasnt that thrusters arent as good as quads...I enjoy riding both...so back to the crayons and dot to dot for you ...simple...simon.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:49 pm

*wipes the spit off his face*

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

alot of guys who have had their 1st round tail quad are now coming back to order their 2nd, and often a mate is getting one also, seems to be growing in popularity... the amount of surfers who I talk to who are really enjoying the round tail quads...think they suit a wide range of surfers but definitely some plusses for the intermediate high perf type surfer or the old school guys who like to draw longer lines and carve ...
Last edited by pridmore on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm

not sure of your arithmetic pridmore... pretty sure 3rd comes after 2nd.

anyways, has anyone tried a firewire el fuego, not a roundtail but they do come with diamond tails. pretty keen on the design but am interested in first hand experience.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:47 pm

pridmore---not trying to plug my shapes.......oh yes you are ............again.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:45 pm

gabsouy wrote:pridmore---not trying to plug my shapes.......oh yes you are ............again.
This thread has got so boring, gabsouy, that comment has been made many times and is so lame its not funny, it might seem like he is trying to plug his shapes, but dont believe he is with this at all, you just want to brand anything he says, boring boring boring. He is just making a comment thats all, wake up fool, you will now when mark plugs his boards, and I dont mind that, he has his own thread now and its all done there. :roll:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I was thinking the same thing digger, kind of funny that gabsouy has an opinion after only being on the forums for less than a month. Seems to like bangin that old horse...

On a side note, old baldy was reaching for his square-tail five-finner at the Quick Pro which was interesting. Mid heat he changed from his semi-pro thruster to his square-tail (Fred Rubble?) McKee quad with the tiny guitar pick middle fin. He did some great turns with the five-finner, very tight and powerful arcs. I don't believe the "oh, but he's Kelly, he'll rip on anything" argument, he is a human being too and others can do those turns on the same equipment. We all have two arms and two legs like him.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Agreed CC; there's deffo something more powerful about his short arc carves on that 5 finner.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:Agreed CC; there's deffo something more powerful about his short arc carves on that 5 finner.
Amen.

On a side note SS, how're you enjoying the turbulator twinzer?