Ripping off Dane Reynolds.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Ripping off Dane Reynolds.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

It's true that when Dane farts the rest of the world lines up to sniff the vintage.......and it's also true that when Dane showed up to Trestles with his 80's style dumpster diver I recalled with flash of recognition a desire put into cyber-space for a short 80's style outline with some modern foil/rocker and bottom contours.
That musta been at least a year ago.

Now this kind of board is causing the normally sedate and reserved American peoples of Southern Killafornia to erupt in orgasmic torrents of praise.
The Lost Rocket and Dumpster Diver/White Diamond phenomena for those who have been keeping a finger on the cross Pacific design pulse.

I had a quick chat with Pridmore via satellite link up and electronic mail and we decided it was high time to do our own version.

It's about effective planing area and curvey planshapes to fit in pockets.

Mark has got some shots, the board has been shaped.
It looks lively and razor sharp...it will go fast.....whether I can control it is the question.

I reckon these things would suit Steak and kidney beachbreak to a tee.

The Red Camera has been hired for the testing day.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

mical
barnacle

Re: Ripping off Dane Reynolds.

Post by mical » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Sheep

Let me know how it goes.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 pm

steve shearer wrote:
I had a quick chat with Pridmore via satellite link up and electronic mail and we decided it was high time to do our own version.

It's about effective planing area and curvey planshapes to fit in pockets.
What ... wait ... hang on ... let me me get this right ... so ... so ... what you're trying to say is ... well ... your saying that Mr More has shaped you a ... KNEEBOARD.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 pm

yeah, I feel a bit sheepish but when something is gunna go well and be super fun for ya average surfer in the waves we get 80% of the time, I would be stupid not to do it...it isnt that different to alot of what I do anyways, ( as some would already know QFs and FBs ) so it isnt a total ripp off, it has still got alot of my thoughts in this board...It has been nicknamed a few things so far...Danes Diamond, then thought what ese starts with Double 'D', maybe Daisy Duke, dumpster driver ?? ?, but now its just being called "The Double D ", who wouldnt wanna get their hands on a Double D or even a pair... :roll: :roll: maybe it just took the brilliant surfing of someone the profile of Dane to make alot of surfers see the potential of a wider, flatter but still high perf sled, and it is a shame that it takes someone like that to do it, and in a comp, you'd think more could work it out for themselves ..but whatever the reason, this board is gunna be super fun and suit our waves 80% of the time which is what our boards should be designed for...notn the perfection we get maybe 10% of the time....setting em up with some of my fav new fins too...and a thruster...( aw my god, its not a quad sum will be saying...ha ha....) :roll: might even add a few more as Steves new "Double D " goes thru its diff stages of construction, and no doubt he will have some footeg of it being ridden.... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 pm

here is another pic, doesnt show much but this is SSs' Double D with some green stripe action, yet to be pin-lined, very basic but will look great when finished.....

glad to see more people are getting some colour on their new sleds too......

how long before someone posts some big 'double D ' titties...c'mon.... :roll: 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:02 pm

I was hoping you'd get my sarcasm about the sheep thing Mark.

Nothing wrong with basing a board around what others are riding if it works, we've all done it.

God knows, Dane did it with the Diver!

Looks real good . . . . real good.

Rails, foil?

I love Dane too, just like Steve :oops: There I said it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:05 pm

rails ? yep
foil ? yep
Sarcasm ???? yep :roll:

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

why not get neil purchase to do you a real one.
2-harry.jpg
2-harry.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 10988 times
harrys 4yrs ago

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:58 pm

All this shorter, flatter, wider and quad stuff - what some might call a design revolution has been progressing for years and it has had absolutely nothing to do with professional surfers - Kelly and Dane have arrived at the tail end of the whole trend. All of these designs have been generated by shapers building boards for themselves and other surfers of average ability. The innovators are local shapers and local crew basically saying these pro performance shapes don't work for us lets come up with something better. The catalyst was probably people jumping on retro fishes and saying "I love the drive and paddle but these things surf like a shower of shit" and shapers have refined these shapes to make them more usable. Quads have been a grass roots phenomenon - people were riding them for years before the design was anointed by KS. The whole thing shows how irrelevant pro surfing is (until about a year ago) to board design. What I find hilarious is all these average guys wanting copies of Dane's boards when other average guys have been riding wide, flat and short boards for years.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm

True pinhead, who really are the sheep? :)

I love the look of that board. I love any board that goes super fast, and if it can also hook tight lines, even better! That board looks like it'll do both really well, yeeeew!!

Keep us updated, really keen to see the end product and how it surfs :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 pm

pinhead wrote:All this shorter, flatter, wider and quad stuff - what some might call a design revolution has been progressing for years and it has had absolutely nothing to do with professional surfers - Kelly and Dane have arrived at the tail end of the whole trend. All of these designs have been generated by shapers building boards for themselves and other surfers of average ability. The innovators are local shapers and local crew basically saying these pro performance shapes don't work for us lets come up with something better. The catalyst was probably people jumping on retro fishes and saying "I love the drive and paddle but these things surf like a shower of shit" and shapers have refined these shapes to make them more usable. Quads have been a grass roots phenomenon - people were riding them for years before the design was anointed by KS. The whole thing shows how irrelevant pro surfing is (until about a year ago) to board design. What I find hilarious is all these average guys wanting copies of Dane's boards when other average guys have been riding wide, flat and short boards for years.

good ones to

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:02 pm

pinhead wrote:All this shorter, flatter, wider and quad stuff - what some might call a design revolution has been progressing for years and it has had absolutely nothing to do with professional surfers - Kelly and Dane have arrived at the tail end of the whole trend. All of these designs have been generated by shapers building boards for themselves and other surfers of average ability. The innovators are local shapers and local crew basically saying these pro performance shapes don't work for us lets come up with something better. The catalyst was probably people jumping on retro fishes and saying "I love the drive and paddle but these things surf like a shower of shit" and shapers have refined these shapes to make them more usable. Quads have been a grass roots phenomenon - people were riding them for years before the design was anointed by KS. The whole thing shows how irrelevant pro surfing is (until about a year ago) to board design. What I find hilarious is all these average guys wanting copies of Dane's boards when other average guys have been riding wide, flat and short boards for years.
Your totally right there mate.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Ditto ...
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 am

theres 2 groups of surfers wanting these type of boards...1 - because they work and they are looking for a better performing board in certain conditions...
2- they want what is cool coz pros are riding them :idea: ( but then they realize that they work well )

function or fashion I guess.....( or maybe originally for fashion, then the realization of the function , thats func'd up ....) :roll:

either way, seems more people are gunna be riding shapes that make sense in smaller beachy type waves..... :roll: 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 am

Well said Pinhead.
pridmore wrote:either way, seems more people are gunna be riding shapes that make sense in smaller beachy type waves..... :roll: 8)
About fcuking time too.

Function > fashion ... always.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:45 am

hmmm these all remind me of

- the post-"popout" super loose single fin square/diamondtails of 1971 a la MP at Kirra (and about a thousand other surfers btw)

- the late phase squaretail single fins of the just pre thruster era

- what Occy used to ride in 1984 (along with half the pro tour, oh yeah, those pro surfers don't influence design at all hey)

- what Parmenter redesigned as the "Stub Vector" in 1993

- what Cory L and the ...Lost idiots rode in "5'5" x 191/4" in 1996

- what lil brother took to Michael Baron and Phil Byrne in 2000 and had re worked into a 5'5" diamondtail or cutoff square (depending on what seemed right at the time)

I think it's nice that guys are riding different boards in competition now but that's kind of all it is ... nice.

come on shearer, you're always hounding me to get people to shoot video of me ripping on the latest crazy fcuken idea of Maurice's or Webber's or whatever, let's see you kicking a bit of Wright family arse on this one.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote: - what Parmenter redesigned as the "Stub Vector" in 1993
I remember that one 8)

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 am

prid, id definitely be interested in a board. i have been loving the quad biscuit ive been riding and would love to buy a local shape than an o/s one....