Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Six channels

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm

carefull what u wish for josh :arrow: :idea: :arrow: :lol:

now, just asking more expernced folk

say your running channels much like huies...but instead a uniform size....u made the entry twice as wide as the exit

wat would that do :?

i'm thinkin it would funnel more water @ greater speed....thus creating lift and less drag :idea:

mind u....i got no idea

( yes feel free quote that :lol: )
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:51 pm

Hey mustkill,

Your'e so right man...I have a certain someone twisting my arm badly to pull fingee out...

Just not sure he's that rich though!!

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:18 am

OddaP wrote:Nick, can you explain your comment, re paddling fast for their volume? I don't really understand that.
OK.

This is all pretty subtle but quite noticeable if you're paying close attention to how a board feels in the water and to how easily or otherwise you're catching waves in a given lineup.

Surfboards have their very own paddling speeds; some paddle a little quicker than others. The biggest influence on this is volume. The more foam in a board, the quicker it'll paddle.

But there's a few other factors involved in paddle speed, including rocker and width, and where the foam's distributed etc. These can make up for lack of raw volume in some cases.

AB sixes, the ones over 7'0" anyway, paddle quicker than you'd expect given their classically reduced volume, I think for a few reasons, one because he puts a nice bit of foam slightly forward of centre which supports your torso, another because he keeps the width down (even my 8'0" is less than 18.75"), and a third because he keeps the entry low and the rocker down under your chest, which helps the board plane at lower speeds.

That's one of the reasons I love to surf 'em at Sunset, I can rank all the old guys on their 11' Brewers etc, even on my little 7'7"!

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:45 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
OddaP wrote:Nick, can you explain your comment, re paddling fast for their volume? I don't really understand that.
OK.

This is all pretty subtle but quite noticeable if you're paying close attention to how a board feels in the water and to how easily or otherwise you're catching waves in a given lineup.

Surfboards have their very own paddling speeds; some paddle a little quicker than others. The biggest influence on this is volume. The more foam in a board, the quicker it'll paddle.

But there's a few other factors involved in paddle speed, including rocker and width, and where the foam's distributed etc. These can make up for lack of raw volume in some cases.

AB sixes, the ones over 7'0" anyway, paddle quicker than you'd expect given their classically reduced volume, I think for a few reasons, one because he puts a nice bit of foam slightly forward of centre which supports your torso, another because he keeps the width down (even my 8'0" is less than 18.75"), and a third because he keeps the entry low and the rocker down under your chest, which helps the board plane at lower speeds.

That's one of the reasons I love to surf 'em at Sunset, I can rank all the old guys on their 11' Brewers etc, even on my little 7'7"!
hey nick i dont have time to explain it all right now but i will
but there is another aspect to the clinkers its called grip what beter place than sunset
to see how much beter it is lets know :?:

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 pm

^^ Cheers Nick, so is it axiomatic that 6 channel will have lower entry and rocker under the chest as well?

Watching on youtube a final between Kong and Curren in 1990 in Japan I was struck by how flat Kong's board actaully was (he was riding an AB 6 channel).

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:26 pm

huie wrote: hey nick i dont have time to explain it all right now but i will
but there is another aspect to the clinkers its called grip what beter place than sunset
to see how much beter it is lets know :?:
well Huie I've been surfing AB six channels at Sunset Beach since 1985. Almost before Elko! The fat bastard.

And yes they do lock into a turn very nicely.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:53 pm

I almost blew my bolt seeing all the AB channel bottoms at Manly at the old surfection shop.
WTF.
I wanted to stash them all out the back and buy them one by one.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:35 pm

hey huie, did you finish that tester four channelled bum tail, if so would love to see some photos, espically of the concaves on the bottom. How did it go mate.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I've never had a board with channels and saw one of these in my local surf shop and fell in love...

http://www.markrabbidge.com/categories/Boards/FourPlay/

How would something like this go in usual sydney conditions?

Has anyone surfed one or something similar?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat May 22, 2010 11:48 pm

Jet,

Yes,

"...and loving it..."
rocketscience_bottom_s.jpg
rocketscience_three_s.jpg
rocketscience_one_s.jpg
Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 23, 2010 12:32 am

the teasing has gone on long nuff

it was my idea

when i get a go on her

josh :!:

p.s the spray suxs...do better :x
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:13 am

So what kind of conditions do you ride that weapon in?

Does it go in mush aswell as it does in good surf?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue May 25, 2010 8:49 am

JET01 wrote:So what kind of conditions do you ride that weapon in?

Does it go in mush aswell as it does in good surf?
I haven't tried that particularly board but I love channels and ride one as my everyday board. The thing I do know, but do not understand why, is that they hate mush. Clean and offshore days, I don't want anything else but as soon it starts to get a little messy they just don't go. Anyone know why this is?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 am

I can imagine it being something about disrupted water flow causing drag?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 6:09 pm

man, I hate seeing beautiful boards with channels, cause I want one, and cant afford it, and cant shape one, dammit, more pitures please :?
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun May 30, 2010 10:39 pm

I've had the channel-bottom out in a respectable range of waves by now, but I'm still trying to nail just whats' doing what.

It goes, but I think it's the whole package, hips, quad, channels, giving me joy. Maybe also the extra volume my dad-gut has been begging for.

Definately has a nice squirt out of those little pump/bottom turns to get around a section, but does'nt slip out like the twinny it replaces for me. So that's good. Combination of the quad and channels.

It definately has drive, but remains loose. Looser than I expected, from my experience with loads of thruster/channels back in the day.

Pinhead said I'd part with it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...he's right!

Josh
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf# ... 3664366865

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 31, 2010 9:39 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I can imagine it being something about disrupted water flow causing drag?
yep. same reason tuna don't like whitewash...
they like laminar flow.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:52 am

clay wrote:The thing I do know, but do not understand why, is that they hate mush. Clean and offshore days, I don't want anything else but as soon it starts to get a little messy they just don't go. Anyone know why this is?
From my experience, it's because deep channels have a bottom end speed limiter. To make 'em work, you need to develop a bit of velocity, so the channels engage with the waterflow. In slower, mushy, uneven surf, it's harder to keep the channels fully engaged; you'll feel moments of flash and acceleration, but a lot of wallowing in between. Lame analogy: trying to drive a supercar in city traffic.