First quad feedback

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: First quad feedback

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:48 pm

like all boards, theres good bad, good thrusters , bad thrusters and definitely some bad quads out there....Timmy makes good boards so I know your thruster would go well, certain designs arent for everyone but dont write quads off just yet, try a few more , maybe by a shaper who rides quads alot....
might see you Aussie day.... :?:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:54 pm

thought mark might beat me too it :D

i agree, there's a lot out there. I've had 3 quads over the last 12 months, and they've all been very different.

one turned really well but didn't carry speed and was a bad paddler.
one had heaps of speed, but wouldn't turn. Good for dredging down the line stuff.
one's a keeper!

may turn out you just prefer thrusters. i'm the opposite. But then I don't really do quick direction changes...

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah Mark, i'll try and pop along to the aussie day get together. I'll bring a few of my boards along for you to give me your impressions of and then look at some of yours.
I'm sure the quad will go really well in certain waves, in fact i can feel it in certain turns and little pumps or check turns that you do when surfing, so i am confident it will perform. I did say to the guy shaping it that i wanted it to do certain things and to that end it so far seems to fit the bill but the true test will be longer period larger waves with long walls and barrels.
Like most things, time shall tell. The quad may just eek out a space in my quiver which a thruster can't fill

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:17 pm

a slight tweak of fins can really change a quad, PM if ya wanna discuss fin options, I have done a shiteload of trials with quads and fins....

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Gaz, I hear what you're saying mate and I do understand, but I reckon you'll fall in love with your quad over in Indo mate. Can I ask (have I asked this before?)....is the fin setup McKee?

Oh and I have to agree with Mark...fin choice makes a fecking HUGE difference.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah it's a McKee (spelling?) fin set up with a round tail
I've got a set of stretch quad fins in glass/corecell and another set in the grey resin stuff which I picked up as a spare from the capt.
Keen to discuss fins and even make a set if needed to tune.
So throw some ideas. Please

Ps. I hate being beaten by things so am persevering till it's right
And Tim didn't shape this board

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Gaz....seriously talk to Mark about fins. He has experimented with so many and I was amazed at how he turned my board around after I told him what I wanted from the fins, he pointed me to a set and bam, the board now does exactly what I asked of it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:26 pm

a quad I just finished for a mate....round tail McKee QF, 6'3" x 19 1/2" x 2 9/16" ....it was almost a copy of his last one but just a litle refined, a few minor tweaks here and there...

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:48 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:00 pm

haha, just said similar in PM....can use anything but it isnt what most would say is a good set up....
personally havent had any joy with that set in any of my quads....of the sf4.....

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:00 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Ok you have got me worried about the Stretchs. I have a future set up with these and thought it was ok...but maybe not quite Thruster performance standard. Am I missing out on something ? Mark are you the Fin King and how do you recommend a fin for a quad setup. Thing I have found in the futures is there really just aren't any other options in Quad setups. Advice?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:55 pm

not a fin king by any means.... but I do know what FCS works in my different quad designs... I use 3 different set ups with my quads ( McKee being one ) depending on what board it is....happy tp try and advise, best to send info via PM, but I have limited knowledge of the Future templates as I use FCS....

www.moresurfboards.com

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

I agree, fins make a huge difference in quads. I loved my Stretch set in my snub-nose MORE Kritta, it really complimented the board well...I ended up preferring it with MR's and tiny trailers in the end though...

A general rule of thumb

- want more pivot from all types of turns? Use a more upright fin, like the equivalent of the TC-Aqualine or K2.1.

- want to make it more responsive off the front foot? - Decrease the size of the front fins (e.g. M5 down to M3).

- want more pivot off the back foot? - Decrease the size of the rear fins (e.g. M3 to G1000).

In McKee quads the best fin set-ups I have used so far have been M3/G1000 and KFin/G1000 depending how loose the planshape and rocker have been designed. All time favorite in my Quadfather is KFin/G1000. Not all that different to a thruster's pivot but stacks more security and drive through hard turns.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:21 pm

I have to agree with Captain. I use the K2.1s/G1000 combo in my QF and the ability for it to turn on a dime, but at the same time maintain speed through the turn is amazing. I found the M3/G1000 combo a little too stiff for my liking, but love the K2.1s/G1000.

I also use the C Drive fins in more sucky down the line waves (like points or reef breaks) as their ability to hold you incredibly stable so high up on the wave face is sensational and enables you to get some damn impressive down the line speed.

Gaz, more than happy to lend you any of the above fins to test ride mate. Just sing out (when we finally get some fecking swell up this way that is)!!!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:02 pm

Donweather wrote:I have to agree with Captain. I use the K2.1s/G1000 combo in my QF and the ability for it to turn on a dime, but at the same time maintain speed through the turn is amazing. I found the M3/G1000 combo a little too stiff for my liking, but love the K2.1s/G1000.

I also use the C Drive fins in more sucky down the line waves (like points or reef breaks) as their ability to hold you incredibly stable so high up on the wave face is sensational and enables you to get some damn impressive down the line speed.

Gaz, more than happy to lend you any of the above fins to test ride mate. Just sing out (when we finally get some fecking swell up this way that is)!!!
Don, I would love to test ride the c drive fins in my quad from mark, thinking they may be handy for the cyclone swells.

Im just using the fins mark supplied me as I found they just suited straight up but at the test ride day will be looking at fins for sure, though I do have this saying passed down to me, dont fuck with what works.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:08 am

For Digger, I'd suggest trying the KS2.1's up front , especially when surfing in small and average waves, they just add some liveliness and make those little check turns quicker and easier, but have found some surfers ( especially front foot guys who like to do more powerful carving turns and on round tails ) can find them a bit too twitchy and overly responsive for their liking....but worth a try especially on a bigger board.....there's a few other options too, I'll bring my little bag of fins along and maybe we can try a few things....( Aussie Day I mean ).... 8)

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:41 am

Cheers Donny
Have to catch up one for a wave soon anyway mate, it's been ages!