First quad feedback

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: First quad feedback

Post by pridmore » Mon May 17, 2010 3:39 pm

surely you guys have had some waves to try out the sleds, just got back and keen to hear how things went ??? you may have posted stuff on other threads but I am yet to catch up with it all...... 8)

carve8

Post by carve8 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Picked up my new quad on the weekend - 6' x 20 1/2 x 2 9/16. Cured by the weekend, keep you posted (can't wait to to ride it).

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Had a few surfs on my new Quadfather. 6'4 x 19 5/8 x 2 5/8. McKee quad.
Really enjoying it so far. Haven't tried it as a thrusters yet as I'm having too much fun with the quad. Paddles well and is really stable even though this is the first board I've surfed under 20 inches wide. I put the tail pad a little further forward than you would on your standard thruster bit am thinking I may need to take it off and move it further into the tail. I have my back foot over the front fins at this stage and that works great for racing sections. Think I to go further back to get it more vertical or for sharper cut backs.
Mark I took it down to a few of the cronulla boardriders club meets and got some good comments on the shape. A few guys down there said they were looking for similar shapes so I told them to check your site.
Have the M3 G1000 combo in at the moment but think I'll put some M5s and GX's in next surf and see how that goes. All good so far. Definitely a keeper.
is it good luck when your shaper stuffs your name up on the blank? Or was this board meant for a movie star? Either way it goes like the clappers
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed May 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Jet, I can highly recommend the K2.1 G1000 combo to loosen up those turns and allow more tighter turns.

As for the tail pad, don't put it too far back. I put mine on as per Mark's recommendation, with about 40% forward of the front fins (ie 60% behind the front fins). At first glance it looks way too far forward, but as Mark told me, occasionally I'll put my foot right up on my kicker at the back of the tail pad, and the board just turns to a flailing frog and bogs down something shocking.

As Mark has said, the sweet spot for the back foot on the McKee quad setup is certainly closer to the front fins than the rear.

Hope this helps and good to hear you're enjoying your new toy!!!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Cheers don. I was going to make a post this arvo retracting my earlier comments about tail pad positioning. I snuck in for a cheeky wave after work today concentrating on foot placement. Every time I had my foot on the kick things would turn to $hit pretty quickly. The kick is pretty much over the rears. I'll get some pics sorted when I get home ( away for a course)
Didn't have time to change my fins around this arvo so will give the M5/GX setup a go over the weekend.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Jet dont fall into the trap
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 pm

yep, sometimes best not to think about what you riding once in the waves, just surf it and you'll adapt usually...thats what I do anyway and what I suggest when guys borrow some of my more alternative shapes and generally works well..... 8)

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Dav. I am like that. And it's rare that I'll tell anyone on here to shut up as I only read this site to feed off others stoke and like hearing their opinions on things. Thinking about what to next in my surfing world does keep me awake at night sometimes. I knew I had a problem the night I got out of bed at 1am just to change the fins in my dominator just so I wouldn't forget to in the morning. I haven't changed anything on my new board yet and will leave the tailpad where it is for now. I will however have a bit of a play with the fins. I've got so many of them sitting in the boot screaming at me to get wet. I've got quiet a collection these days. Been looking at those c drive fins. Apparently the quad set will be available in roughly august. In the process of trying to find out some of the finer details about the rear fins. Not sure whether they'll be the c shape or just like normal GX/1000's.And as they haven't been around long enough to find some cheap on eBay, I don't want to fork out 100bucks for a thruster set now if the quad set is going to be a better option later. I'd imagine the fronts on the thruster and quad sets will be of the same specs but why risk it when august is only a few mnths away. Plenty of options to play with before then.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 am

M5 +M3s for me (70 kilos) but I've heard the Q-PC series are great.
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Had an amazing session on the QF this morning at Cronulla Point before the weather turned nasty. Put SF4 fronts and GX single foil rears. Sweet combo I reckon. Great speed down the line and great drive through turns. Almost scored my first barrel but had to dodge someone on the shoulder. Noticed my first few compressions :( all part of the PU experience. I'm having so much fun on this board. I want it to last forever. This board is helping my surfing big time. I even got a few hoots this morning which is rare as rocking horse shit for me that's for sure. Mark originally designed this board for me for use in good surf but I've been surfing it in everything from 1-5ft in all conditions. Gets a bit harder to paddle in fat waves but other than that it's gold. Loving the quadfather big time.

carve8

Post by carve8 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Can't remember the thread, but Iggy once wrote a comparison between thrusters and quads which i totally agree with. Quads can be squirrely, the thruster more stable. Exclusively surfing my quad in all conditions and sizes since May with mixed results, but loving it anyway.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:11 pm

6'7" x 20" x 2 9/16"

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Straight from the glasser Mark?
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:39 pm

pridmore wrote:Image
6'7" x 20" x 2 9/16"

so nice, love the lines mark, damn you 9ot those thin9s lookin9 fine :mrgreen:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:44 pm

had it a week or 2, nice and cured ready to go.....

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Here's a poem my mate (another happy Quadfather customer) wrote. Thought it was rather good hence I'd share it with you guys (Mark also has it posted on his website):

Quadfather oh Quadfather
The mythical beast
Made by a magician
Who lives to the east

Quadfather oh Quadfather
Your beauty is sublime
Sweet smooth curves
They are mine all mine

Quadfather oh Quadfather
Four fins you say, why not three?
Four fins I cry
More speed for me.

Quadfather oh Quadfather
The board of my dreams
Forever I think of you
Oooops….. whats that in my jeans. :lol:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:09 pm

classic poem, Im now exclusively surfing my quad in all conditions, even slop, when too small just go body surfing, looking to expand my quiver with either a matt or a kneeboard, just for fun. I love the quad and cant imagine riding a thruster, but I could easily be convinced with a single and side bites, oh, and have I mentioned channels, six really deep ones, I think ive mentioned that somewhere before :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:42 pm

I've been riding a quad on and off for the past dozen or so surfs and i really don't get the quad thing.
My thruster (the one i have at the moment which is EPS/Epoxy made by tiges) is probably one of the best i have ever had under my feet and to change from its predictability to an unknown board type is quite strange. The quad has worked for me on particular waves in a sesh but never every wave.
The speed thing people go on about doesn't really seem that big a deal to me. The board feels harder to turn tightly or when a section pops up for a snap the board doesn't like a quick change in direction. Granted though, on the waves that i have had a good experience on, the board went easily into a long bottom turn to top turn combo and also into arcing cutbacks, so i guess its horses for courses.
I do know that the thruster would do this well also, and do the quicj direction changes that seem to be a regular thing in shifty beach breaks that we encounter a lot of the time up here. Guess cyclone season and my indo trip will see whether the quad will be elevated to epic board status or dumped onto the classified thread