First quad feedback

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

First quad feedback

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:00 pm

This is my first quad, years ago I would have never ordered a quad but I wanted to break from my normal board and try something new before its just too late.

Dims for the new stick from mark is 6'6 x20 x 2 5/8, good strong glass job, rails felt just right, very pleasing lines, extremely pleasant to the eyes.. Took it out today at coolum, surf was junky 2-3 foot, paddled bloody lovely with great float for me. On the wave the board felt a little bit clunky due to the junky surf I think,the board definately has all the speed that I need plus a bit more. To be honest in todays surf the semi fish I own would have been the better choice out there. The board itself felt very stable under the feet, a good platform to ride off but it needed more size and hollower surf to come into its own.

When I think about this, what I ordered is exactly what I got, a board that will for sure supplement the quiver I have know got, a 6'4 semi fish, a 6'6 quadfather and also a 6'10.

It feels different from the quad doing the rounds (which is not a bad thing for me) but my verdict is still out at the moment, I have not had the board in anything decent, which is what I got the board for. I cant wait for decent surf to test this board in because first impressions were pretty bloody good and I felt the potential for the board to do everything that I hoped. Time will tell and more reviews will come.

Will take it out tommorow at coolum at around 5 in the morning in the hope of better surf, If anyone from the forum is there im easy to spot, Im the one with the new pridemore quad :lol: :lol:

Job well done Mark and thankyou for the work you did.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: First quad feedback

Post by Donweather » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 pm

diggerdickson wrote:It feels different from the quad doing the rounds (which is not a bad thing for me) but my verdict is still out at the moment, I have not had the board in anything decent, which is what I got the board for.
Curious as to why it's different to the QF doing the rounds? Plan dimensions and outline from the pics Mark posted look very similar to the QF doing the rounds....albeit 2 inches longer.

In what way is it different digger?

Hopefully winds should be more favourable up there for you tomorrow morning......looks like you might miss the Monday arvo new pulse in swell though?? Other than that it looks all down hill for some time for us SE Qld surfers unfortunately.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Donweather wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:It feels different from the quad doing the rounds (which is not a bad thing for me) but my verdict is still out at the moment, I have not had the board in anything decent, which is what I got the board for.
Curious as to why it's different to the QF doing the rounds? Plan dimensions and outline from the pics Mark posted look very similar to the QF doing the rounds....albeit 2 inches longer.

In what way is it different digger?

Hopefully winds should be more favourable up there for you tomorrow morning......looks like you might miss the Monday arvo new pulse in swell though?? Other than that it looks all down hill for some time for us SE Qld surfers unfortunately.
Its hard to put words to it don, I did get to test the green quad that is going around in some decent waves I have to admit, at the moment only really had a junky surf. If I was smart I would not have taken out the quad in that for a first surf :roll: It seemed not as easy to move rail to rail but I believe that is more realated to the quality of the surf rather than the board. The waves I had were so short then closing out so didnt get to really let it show its hand so to speak. I will hopefully be able to paint a better piture tommorow after getting it into some decent waves, am maybe meeting fong at coolum and hitting it very early.

It had the same feel of speed from get go. It felt different and at the moment putting it down to the surf I had it in rather than anything else because I only surfed the quad in decent waves compared with todays stuff

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 am

Today, took the board out at coolum, 2 to 3 foot, but clean as, and a bit of push, The board felt great, the speed is incredible. Only caught a few as had to get out and go to work, what I had was just speed runs, no real open faces. Had on wave with a late drop and let it run out into the flats then put it on its rail for the bottom turn and it just bit and took off like a jackrabbit :D

The board lets me get in early due to the extra lenght and the difference in feeling between the green quad and mine is still there, its just not as twitchy is the only words I can use to explain it ( maybe mark might be able to explain why, I think it just might be the length and width of this board compared to the 6'4). I love it and cant wait for the point or noosa to start breaking as this board will just excell in those waves :D :D

Tried a 1 paddle take off on one wave to see how it would go and there was no slide at the bottom, just very stable and smooth, gives me awesome confidence in the surf knowing that this board will not let me down. It will be real interesting to see what happens when I get a wave I can try a hack on.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Never put down my weight and size, Im 6 foot and weigh about 13 stone. Been surfing a close to 30 years and am just a average surfer really but love it when the surf picks up and I get to cut loose. I like caveman spent a bit of time talking with mark, was honest as I could with my feedback to him and mark actually listened and took it all in, sent pitures and kept me in the piture with where everything was up to. Try the quad going around if you can just for something different, I think people who have never tried one will be pleasently surprised.

Cant wait to post some feedback when the surf picks up, Im stocked, by the way mark, great paw print, cheers mate

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:38 am

Glad you like it mate and it will go better in better waves as that is what it was designed for but sure it'll go better in small crappy stuff once you get used to it...Thanks for doing the ride report and also for keeping it honest, much better that way....Don asked why it was different to the project board, answer is...it is 2" longer, 3/8" wider, a little more foam left in deck and rails and all these mods came from your requests ( lazy paddler, want board with great float etc....) plus from my watching you ride the project board and also from reading your feedback on that board....and also it is a custom, so I adjust the design to suit what you need-want from the board..... glad you like the paw print mate, wasnt sure how big to go......has it made the paddle to that Island yet ??? how is SuperFong goin ??? 8)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:43 am

pridmore wrote:glad you like the paw print mate, wasnt sure how big to go...
Digger, ya big pussy, we want photos, get your people on it now! :D

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:07 am

lol, will provide the photos when huey provides a swell :( Fong seems to be working his arse off, making hay will the sun is shining you could say. Each time I planned to meet him he would work overtime or something like that, so no, the board has not made the paddle to the island and it does not look like I will be riding it for a while thanks to lack of surf. I hope next time I meet with fong I will be able to take some photos of his new board and post it on here for everyone to see what he is riding lately. Will get a video done when my local point breaks with some size so everyone can have a bit of a laugh, but at least I will get to ride the board in some power, love the point I tell ya, love the point.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:34 pm

caught tea tree on thursday with fong, boiling pot was much better but so were the crowds. Caught a few waves from the point right to the beach, the board was perfect. It was so good to get it out onto a point wave, with plenty of wall to work on, different sort of sections in the waves, the board flew through the dead sections linking up with the next part of the wave. A few times I needed to really drive through a bottom turn to get around a close out section and I found no slip at all, very nice :D I do find that it doesnt pivot as much as has been discussed in other threads, but the good thing about that for me is that I dont really jam the pocket that much, so it suits my surfing.

The next experiment will be point perry in some size, hopefully a cyclone swell and thats when the video clip will hopefully be done.

Now im dreaming of my next board :roll: A beautiful single six channel bottom, rounded pin, ahh the memories.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Ordered my new QF from Mark yesterday. Was great to meet ya Mark and thanks for the informative insight on the new board.

Apparently I just missed meeting the one and only SS as well....oh well next time Steve!!

From your description above digger, the QF sounds exactly the sort of board I'm looking for, for when I hit up the Solos early next year for some really fun point/reef break action.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 pm

6'4" x 19 1/2" x 19/32"... 8)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Yewwww......bring it on Mark!!!

Can't wait to get the new girl. Also need some fecking surf to test her in!!!

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:57 pm

pridmore wrote:6'4" x 19 1/2" x 19/32"... 8)
You lost weight recently Donny??? Fark its thin!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 pm

I believe it's a smidgen under 2 5/8"....and no I haven't lost weight....actually put it on due to sinking piss last week whilst on holidays. Need to get off my arse and do some exercise before my surfari next Feb!!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:52 pm

I pick up the new girl on Thurs!!!! :D :D

Huey better not be a carnt now over the next few weeks :twisted: :twisted:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Donweather wrote:I pick up the new girl on Thurs!!!! :D :D

Huey better not be a carnt now over the next few weeks :twisted: :twisted:

OH YEAH!!!!!! Lets hope some swell comes your way mate, post some pics Don, would love to see the finished product. :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:10 am

We had a few delays due to some crazy high temps we were experiencing for a week or so, so the board took a bit longer than usual which I hate, always remeber being hyped up and so keen to get my customs but when they werent ready when I was told they would be, the dissapointment was massive, I had to surf my old board...I remember sitting the newies in my room and I would just look at them, touch it, wax it up, put leggy on, just so keen on it and I really want to be able to give the same stoke to others but on time hopefully...sorry Don but hopefully you'll really like the way she surfs mate...now that dreaded curing period.....very hard if some waves turn up.... :x 8)

I reckon she'll love your fav SC beachy at 3-4ft....I love that spot too, a great little stretch of sand right there.....especially thru winter time....

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:52 am

pridmore wrote:I remember sitting the newies in my room and I would just look at them, touch it, wax it up, put leggy on, just so keen on it
I still do this now at 36! :wink: