First quad feedback

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: First quad feedback

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:34 pm

sounds good mark, dont think I will be able to get boards done in time to bring down as going on holidays soon and Fong on holidays now. Im looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Experimented with the fins today. Used the C Drives in the rear and the K2.1s in the front. Feck me, it felt like I was riding a skateboard the thing was that skatey and loose. Still had some drive in it as well. Will certainly be using this setup in up to 3ft surf. Above that, I reckon you'd want something with a little more hold as she was skatey even at 2ft.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:29 pm

try putting the smallest set you have in the front, and nothing in the back....then you'll know what loose is mate.. :lol: .haha. 8) ..super fun on tiny days.... 8)

interesting to hear how it went, keep posting any fin trials you do, always interested.... 8)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Anyone heard anything (good or bad) about Evolution Fins, more so they're quad setup?

They're bloody cheap!!!

http://www.evolutionxyz.com/

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 pm

got 1 set, they arent suitable for the Fat-Bat I tried em on ( just once ), lacked drive,very pivotty, havent tried em since.....I got them off Jet, he may have an opinion.....( this was a template that was similar to H2's but skinnier at base...)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks Mark. Given their ridiculous pricing I might get a set just to experiment with other combinations of fins.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm

I use all shapers fins. They're cheaper then FCS and are as good.

http://www.shapersfins.com/

I also get them a little cheaper if you need me to chase anything up
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 am

I use a mix of FCS, shapers and hand foiled glass fins, depending on the template and flex needed for that board....

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:32 pm

I have done a few boards with futures but not many requests for them, I do em when guys really want em....the flex in diff fin application is definitely a consideration, moreso for some designs and constructions..... have done sets of hand foiled fins to fit future boxes, some original templates and some copies of FCS templates that customers wanted to fit into future boxes...and visa versa...

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:59 pm

I just tried a set of FCS Rusty R-2 quad fins and my board flies. Good drive and great release off the top and in cut backs. Some slide when you want it and regains hold when you want it to.

My first quad was a Stretch F4 6'5" which went all right, nice and fast then I got a 6'1" in the same board and the thing was a pig, it never paddled right, some days it worked well and other days I couldn't get it to work. I went back to my thruster and wrote the quad experiment off almost. This quad is 6'4" and shaped like my Webber afterburner except with a bat tail. Unlike the F4s which turned in tight arcs and would not pivot this will pivot and turn in tight arcs. Probably helped by the V in the double concave under the tail. It's just nice when you get a new board that works better than your old boards and it is like a progression rather than a detour.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:34 am

Yeh Slowy that V/double in the back end would help for sure, esp if the spine is a little pronounced. It kinda gives you a sense for the centre of the board. Adding a round tail can help with the whole pivot thing too, so if you want to experiement and try something new (if you havn't already) I would say a round tail quad is worth a try. You just need to find a shaper who knows what they are doing with them and you should be fine.

When just talking tails alone for pivot I have found the following:

- Swallow - takes away from the pivot side of things if anything.
- Bat Tail - a bit better than swallow as you at least have the middle prong for some feel.
- Diamond tail - better again as getting more away from the swallow feel and closer to round tail.
- Round tail - best tail for pivot feel in the back end.

Keep in mind this is just my own experience and im purely talking the tail on its own for adding to the pivot feel.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:10 am

Donweather wrote:Used the C Drives in the rear and the K2.1s in the front. Feck me, it felt like I was riding a skateboard the thing was that skatey and loose. Still had some drive in it as well. Will certainly be using this setup in up to 3ft surf. Above that, I reckon you'd want something with a little more hold as she was skatey even at 2ft.
Used this same setup in 3-4ft Snapper during the week and I have to say I'm really liking it. Great down the line speed but also exceptional ease of turning. Waves weren't barrelling top to bottom on the bank I was on, but still had some steep sections in them. Fins held a very stable high line and enabled you to get some great speed down the line for sure. Can't wait to try this setup in my OS trip this April!!! :D :D

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Natho wrote:Yeh Slowy that V/double in the back end would help for sure, esp if the spine is a little pronounced. It kinda gives you a sense for the centre of the board. Adding a round tail can help with the whole pivot thing too, so if you want to experiement and try something new (if you havn't already) I would say a round tail quad is worth a try. You just need to find a shaper who knows what they are doing with them and you should be fine.

When just talking tails alone for pivot I have found the following:

- Swallow - takes away from the pivot side of things if anything.
- Bat Tail - a bit better than swallow as you at least have the middle prong for some feel.
- Diamond tail - better again as getting more away from the swallow feel and closer to round tail.
- Round tail - best tail for pivot feel in the back end.

Keep in mind this is just my own experience and im purely talking the tail on its own for adding to the pivot feel.
Natho, I've never been too sure I could feel any difference between a bat or swallow. Although my swallow (A-burner) is a thruster and not a quad, though I contacted Luke Peden about whether they'd made any a-burners as quads, and they have, so I'm going to try that too by putting an extra set of FCS plugs in. He said 11 1/2" for the front and 5 1/2" for the rear fins...what is the point of reference for these dimensions? Anyone?

The F4s are bat tails but flat bottoms and so the v/double is the major difference at the tail end of the board, could be fin placement as well I guess. Plan shape is different too, much pointier at the front and more rocker.

I'll keep the round tail option in mind I've always liked it (as a thruster) but at the moment pretty happy with the new one I have. Might be better in bigger conditions.