'Parko's' 10 point ride

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

roy Stewart
regular

'Parko's' 10 point ride

Post by roy Stewart » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:17 pm

I call BS on it because he fell off.

Anyone who falls off should not get 10/10, in fact there's a case for saying that falling off means a failed ride where the rider has to rely on a kook cord, so should get 0/10.

The whole deal has become a frantic frenetic monotony of desperate arse waggling. . . remove the money and the leashes and it would fade away pretty quickly. . . it's so ugly to watch it's just a bogus insincere culture forced into existence by mass marketeers. . a ghastly form of prostitution really, and rigged to boot.

The surfers themselves are like robotic lost souls stamped from the same mould, trained never to pause because pausing means losing points.. . . it's become like some kind of spurious graceless self mutilation or headbanging.

We don't dig it at all, it doesn't appeal.

roy Stewart
regular

Re: 'Parko's' 10 point ride

Post by roy Stewart » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Whatever.

Kooks fall off and wear kook cords , surfers stay on their boards, end of story.

There's nothing uglier than pro shortboarding apart from pro longboarding.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 am

roy Stewart wrote:I call BS on it because he fell off.

Anyone who falls off should not get 10/10, in fact there's a case for saying that falling off means a failed ride where the rider has to rely on a kook cord, so should get 0/10.

The whole deal has become a frantic frenetic monotony of desperate arse waggling. . . remove the money and the leashes and it would fade away pretty quickly. . . it's so ugly to watch it's just a bogus insincere culture forced into existence by mass marketeers. . a ghastly form of prostitution really, and rigged to boot.

The surfers themselves are like robotic lost souls stamped from the same mould, trained never to pause because pausing means losing points.. . . it's become like some kind of spurious graceless self mutilation or headbanging.

Don't include me in your pathetic little tirade.

The last part of Parko's ten point ride was totally irrelevant.
:idea:

As are you.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 am

Hi there Dino!

Have a good weekend?

I played cricket (top scored just quietly) and yeah had a pretty cruisy one. Saw the Stranglers on Sat night. Brought back alot of memories mate.......... alot of memories.....some of which were of driving across the Nullabor stopping in at Cactus in 1986.......a Stranglers tape was played over and over and over......along with the Buzzcocks et al.

Them were the dayz...........

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:20 am

Buff_Brad wrote:I played cricket (top scored just quietly) and yeah had a pretty cruisy one.
Yeah but how did you go at cricket?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:25 am

Roy,

That may have been a valid argument/comment before the invention of the legrope and the general progression of surfing. We don’t have to like or agree with it all, but there is no disputing the level of skill.

We have moved on don’t you think? No point swimming against the current. (F-off TMC :D )

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 am

roy Stewart wrote:We don't dig it at all, it doesn't appeal.
who's 'we', and why were 'we' watching it if it doesn't appeal?

wanker.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 am

A 'kook cord'? Hey Rockin' Ron, Roy isn't your dad is he?

But seriously, what a waste of a thread.

Oh yeah Iggy, it was the Stranglers without the main guy apparently.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:15 am

Roy, you've enraged the Sydney intelligentsia, and there's nothing more awe inspiring than seeing a pack of internet warriors gang up on a wounded antelope on the savannah.
I agree about the 10 point ride.
I think a 10 point ride should be completed, and falling off at the end precludes a perfect score.
As for the main premise of your argument ; sport has provided transcendent moments for athletes and spectators since the beginning of time, and surfing is no different there.
A little less bombast and some more nuanced observation would give you more credibility.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:34 am

what's this guy even talking about? pretty sure Parko didn't fall off on any of his 10's.
he pulled off the wave and happened to fall off as he was launching off the back, so not sure what you're on about mate?
did you actually see the conditions they were surfing in? why the F^&k wouldn't you wear a leggy out there? there would be no point of not wearing one. you'd look like a goose the amount of swimming you would have to do.
the 2 ten's he got were ridden perfectly for how bad the surf was, and the waves the other guys got just looked like pieces of shite. so that's why gets 10 you retard.
parko's robotic? you basically have no idea what good surfing is. YOU are what's wrong with surfing. all whinging and bitter feelings.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Without necessarily agreeing with Roy, either for anything in this or other threads, as times have changed, I would like to record my support for the resident realsurf eccentric.

I'm not sure why, but eccentrics are just necessary. Go crazy, Roy! :wink:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

schooner_of_old

Post by schooner_of_old » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:43 pm

easy enough to argue about what's worth ten points in any event...but i can't get over how they don't even have to paddle any more, even on the small days. Make the heats longer and don't let 'em call for the ski unless they break a board....

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:11 pm

roy ... it's the judges call anyway , they are very experienced and the system has been doing a good job judging surfers performance for many years .... they obviously deemed that the key scoring part of that ride was over and thus the scores awarded ... there's no need to keep riding a wave for the sake of it if it has nothing more to offer ...

I somewhat get what you are saying because I very good mate of mine gets a buzz from riding a wave as far as possible (on a short board) where as the vast majority of short boarders get off a wave when there is no more decent manouvers possible ...

and each to their own ... I look at mal riding and think the opposite to you but if people are having fun who am I to say anything as long as I get my share of waves and don't get run over by one ...

not wearing a legrope is a dangerous practise these days , not that you really need one riding one of your ark's :wink: ... but that's something I feel strongly about as I've seen plenty of people get hurt by stray boards ... most of them stray short boards when it's only small ... many times I have actually been hit very hard by the under side of stray boards right in my elbow ...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:........... where as the vast majority of short boarders get off a wave when there is no more decent manouvers possible ...
Not even that far often. I hate watching guys take off, thus ensuring that no-one else gets the wave unless they drop in, and as soon as they have got past everyone flick off with maybe 20, 30 or 50 metres of wall left in the wave.

I think it is because they don't want to have to paddle out through whitewater, but if you are surfing in Sydney you are obliged to milk every last ounce out of every wave.

I hate that! Off to the hate thread for me! :twisted:

Doubly bad if they are on a mal and then just paddle straight out past you to do it again with seemingly no comprehension that they are acting like twats. :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Parko's Ride From Above! Got a helo up for the pro - still going through all of the shots but here are a couple of early ones shot by Matt Smith for Surfing Atlas:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/img-show/I0000K5O3QW62N2E

http://pa.photoshelter.com/img-show/I000094Z.hGVjqmU
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

oldman wrote:Doubly bad if they are on a mal and then just paddle straight out past you to do it again with seemingly no comprehension that they are acting like twats. :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:
nothing says "I'm about to f'ck up a perfectly good wave" like a McTavish ...

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Yeah right, Ive seen some of those table tops you call a surfboard, now thats unappealing.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Yeah right, I have seen some of those table tops you call surfboards, now thats unappealing !!