for those over 35

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

turtle
barnacle

Re: for those over 35

Post by turtle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 pm

stretch

weetbix/vita brits everymorning no fail.

stretch

dont drink full strentgh beer every day.

stretch

dont smoke ciggies/weed, it will screw ya surfing before you know it.

stretch

do some surf research, you 35plus now and probably surfed enough crap. a bit research help find some nice conditions

stretch

if you are not in local boardriders join, probably have more to offer than yu know.

stretch

go swimming/snorkelling on ya local reefs. flat summer days are perfect for this. when the swell hits you'll be more confident.

stretch

slip slop slap

stretch

the stretch is always gentle :)
signatures, finally got it covered.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:22 pm

turtle wrote:dont drink full strentgh beer every day.
Alright, I have detected a problem with this regime;
turtle wrote:dont smoke ciggies/weed
And the problem just got worse. Good intentions though turtle. :lol:
Toby wrote:I take flaxseed oil for omega-3s
I take it occasionally only. Was into it more in years gone by as the wife started buying it regularly. It gets refrigerated so avoids the need for the anti-oxidants, and as you say it is easy to tell when it is rancid. I don't mind the taste, slightly nutty and not too obnoxious.

Started on the glucosamine regime on the weekend. Got some good advice to double-dose for the first two weeks. Will try to be vigilant on this and start back on the flaxseed. Two months takes me to October, so I'm keeping track of that to see how it goes.

The good news out of last weekend is that I did go out for a few surfs, partly because it was just too nice and partly to see how the shoulder held up.

Interestingly, the paddling was NOT a problem. Other movements can be, but not if I paddle correctly.
Cpt.Caveman wrote:Its a well-known anti-inflammatory, which will quieten down the process that helps arthritis to progress. There have been some studies which suggest that it also helps to rebuild some cartilage.
Comments noted captain. Omega 3 seems to be involved, and central, to just about everything. The more they study it the more they find how good it is.

Issues of posture and related exercises are high on the agenda as well.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:16 pm

i'm 38 & fitter than i have ever been & surfing consistently better than ever.

stay fit ... do some sort of resistance training & stretching. i do 3 x 45 minute intensive boxing sessions a week, play squash for 1 hour a week & run for 20 minutes most other days on top surfing most days if there is swell.

you have to get off your ar$e & sta active, eat well & you'll notice the difference, especially in your surfing.
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 am

word up Pig.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 am

Up for the early Steve?

Nice size swell made it in here but considering where it came from it is quite lumpy, not as lined up as I expected, but the onshore may have had something to do with how it looks.

Glucosamine happening, flaxseed happening, stretching commenced. I've isolated the problem down to just 72 significant muscle groups :cry: :shock: :wink: ;

- tight hammies and quads; puts pressure on the hip alignment and can lead to unbalanced gait and aggravation of nerves in the lower back;

- tight pecs and front shoulders; more direct linkage to shoulder problem;

- tight buttocks around the hip joint;

- strong trapezius muscles which can cause probs if one is tighter than the other, manifesting in neck and other problems that can run right down to the wrist.

Stretching all the above muscle groups based on various yoga postures and exercises that I have been given by physios in the past.

Pretty keen to keep this going. It's not actually that bad, it's just that I know, and have known for some time that it is chronic and needs me to look after it.

And finally, contact captain caveman after a period of doing this to get further advice. Will see how this goes and let you know.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I stretched my dodgy leg and knee on the log fence at longy this morning for a few minutes because I was waiting for another guy ... I only seem to stretch when I am ready to go and am waiting for someone ...

ended up with some quite decent waves early despite the lumpy appearence ... just the two of us , good size and good fun ...

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:24 pm

oldman wrote:Up for the early Steve?

Nice size swell made it in here but considering where it came from it is quite lumpy, not as lined up as I expected, but the onshore may have had something to do with how it looks.

Glucosamine happening, flaxseed happening, stretching commenced. I've isolated the problem down to just 72 significant muscle groups :cry: :shock: :wink: ;

- tight hammies and quads; puts pressure on the hip alignment and can lead to unbalanced gait and aggravation of nerves in the lower back;

- tight pecs and front shoulders; more direct linkage to shoulder problem;

- tight buttocks around the hip joint;

- strong trapezius muscles which can cause probs if one is tighter than the other, manifesting in neck and other problems that can run right down to the wrist.

Stretching all the above muscle groups based on various yoga postures and exercises that I have been given by physios in the past.

Pretty keen to keep this going. It's not actually that bad, it's just that I know, and have known for some time that it is chronic and needs me to look after it.

And finally, contact captain caveman after a period of doing this to get further advice. Will see how this goes and let you know.
Yeah the Captain team troglodyte is a source of good information ,To quote a Neil Young song....
"Oldman take a look at yourself I'm a lot like you were." good review good benefits too.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?