for those over 35

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: for those over 35

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Saw McGoo out at the reef off Soldiers Beach last year and he was cruising along pretty well. He could easily have been 30 or 40 years younger by the way he was surfing. He wasn't fast but he didn't look old. I guess thats all about flexibilty.

I'm currently going to a physio to fix up my shoulder and she can't believe how stiff my neck and arms are. Good flexibility elsewhere but it makes you realise how you overcompensate for some weakness by overdoing it elsewhere.
Last year I started doing a bit of yoga, I was running a bit, surfing a lot and I had great plans for increasing my fitness. This year its longer commuting times so less surfing, etc and boy did I feel it when I got into some reasonably large and consistent surf last week. Still got a few good ones but a few hold downs had me wondering. You really have to work at fitness and let your injuries heal properly as you get older.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Beanpole wrote:Saw McGoo out at the reef off Soldiers Beach last year and he was cruising along pretty well. He could easily have been 30 or 40 years younger by the way he was surfing. He wasn't fast but he didn't look old. I guess thats all about flexibilty.

I'm currently going to a physio to fix up my shoulder and she can't believe how stiff my neck and arms are. Good flexibility elsewhere but it makes you realise how you overcompensate for some weakness by overdoing it elsewhere.
Last year I started doing a bit of yoga, I was running a bit, surfing a lot and I had great plans for increasing my fitness. This year its longer commuting times so less surfing, etc and boy did I feel it when I got into some reasonably large and consistent surf last week. Still got a few good ones but a few hold downs had me wondering. You really have to work at fitness and let your injuries heal properly as you get older.
You've got me thinking BP. I have never put as much emphasis on stretching or flexibility as I should.
Gonna be different from now on. I am getting older. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

check out John Peck in the dvd "Ridin Waves" ( minus the acid ...) he is one flexible old dude..... 8)

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:56 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:I'm nearly 46 , still ride a shortboard and find that clubbing helps me keep fit and young. Chasing girls half my age , dancing for twelve hours straight , rippped on Spec K etc etc all helps plus being surrounded by mostly gay men with their ripped bodies keeps me focused on being fit and "looking" the goods down the beach especially at beaches like Bondi and Glamourama.

Seriously getting barrelled in your forties is a bigger rush than all of the above......well nearly all of the above. 8)

Hi Dino! Surfing today pal?
^^^^ this is freaken funny....im 43 now its just a number and im enjoying my surfing more than ever....i think i love yo brad

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 am

Beanpole wrote:Saw McGoo out at the reef off Soldiers Beach last year and he was cruising along pretty well. He could easily have been 30 or 40 years younger by the way he was surfing. He wasn't fast but he didn't look old. I guess thats all about flexibilty.

Magoo still surfing fine. He's a bit slow to his feet, but probably no slower than me, and I've got 33 years to my advantage, the old bugger.

Left shoulder is starting to move into the seriously stuffed phase. Been working on my paddling technique for a while now, and although I don't think the paddling is a problem any more, it still gets quite sore and runs up my neck.

Was playing soccer with the kids in the local park while on hols. I was goalie and they were kicking it at me over head height for me to nudge over the bar, took one to my left, knocked it up over the bar and left shoulder just rips with pain.

Don't know quite what to do with it. Physio would help, but I really want to get to the cause rather than the symptoms, and physios can't do that. All I can think of is a GP who may refer me to someone who may refer me to someone who knows. I could either go through that or buy myself a few new surfboards for the expense. Problem is that there is no injury history, but it plays up as though I had a bad dislocation years ago. Still hoping I can manage it, probably fooling myself.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:58 am

Hey Olds, I've had plenty of probs with the shoulders and apart from exercise as far as diet goes plenty of oily fish seems to keep things lubricated.
Sardines are gold.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks Steve,

Sounds like the omega 3 rich foods might be the ones then. Probably should get back to taking some glucosamine as well. The joint is a bit loose and I think that is the underlying problem, but it has no real cause to it.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 pm

oldman wrote:taking some glucosamine as well...
I sware by it for my dodgy knee ... I know that it did good when I first started and I know I would be worse without it as I've had plenty of xray's and a couple of MRI's along the way ...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:55 pm

^^^^^
Ringmaster wrote:Within 2 months it had improved....
funny you say that ... when I was first put onto it I was told after 2 months I would notice the difference and when I read the details on the bottle it stated 6 - 8 weeks before a change would be noticed ...
sure enough 8 weeks passed and all of a sudden I noticed the change ... at that point I was surfing one day on and one day off with a knee brace and needed a days recovery time after a decent surf, and I also remember my knee stiffening up after an hour ... now it feels better the more I surf and like everything, stiffens up if I'm out of the surf for extended periods ...

thanks glucosamine ... :idea:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Yeah that sort of confirms it fellas, thank for the input.

Plenty of clinical studies about the effectiveness of glucosamine. From what I know it's the only thing clinically proven to help grow cartilage/tendon tissue back.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:24 pm

lots of tennis elbow going on
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:27 pm

I can definitely recommend omega-3 to take as well as the glucosamine. Its a well-known anti-inflammatory, which will quieten down the process that helps arthritis to progress. There have been some studies which suggest that it also helps to rebuild some cartilage.

I would also recommend to pick a brand that contains anti-oxidants within the capsule (e.g. vitamin-E), as this will avoid the oil from becoming rancid and unusable to your body. In addition to this, try to get a higher concentration of omega-3 in the tablet (e.g. 500mg total in a 1000mg capsule - 50%) otherwise your body won't digest much of it. Don't confuse this with cod liver oil, as this is too high in vitamin-A, and vitamin-A can become toxic at too high doses.

If you're not taking it already, your balance of omega-3 and omega-6 has pretty far reaching effects in the body. The average diet has 20 times the amount of omega-6 to omega-3, with the recommended ideal being somewhere near 1:1, so get that omega-3 into you and bump it up :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Mullet.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote: I would also recommend to pick a brand that contains anti-oxidants within the capsule (e.g. vitamin-E), as this will avoid the oil from becoming rancid and unusable to your body.
Really? This happens??? :shock:

* Frowns at fish oil capsules in kicten cupboard and tosses them into the bin under the kitchen sink *

Any brands specfically that stand out? Any available from the supermarket? Or any old "health" store? Or do you have to go somewhere specific to get them ( or buy online? ).

I'll be looking to ramp up my post-op ankle in about 4 weeks, and anything I can do to get things rolling would be great. I'm still not totally convinced there *isn't* surface damage to the joint, so I'm hoping some of this gear might help that too.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:27 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm

dUg wrote: Really? This happens??? :shock:

* Frowns at fish oil capsules in kicten cupboard and tosses them into the bin under the kitchen sink *

Any brands specfically that stand out? Any available from the supermarket? Or any old "health" store? Or do you have to go somewhere specific to get them ( or buy online? ).

I'll be looking to ramp up my post-op ankle in about 4 weeks, and anything I can do to get things rolling would be great. I'm still not totally convinced there *isn't* surface damage to the joint, so I'm hoping some of this gear might help that too.
I use a brand called Ultraclean, that you can get from some health food shops. Its got 50% omega-3 and vitamin-E. The blackmores high concentration capsule has around 60% omega-3, but no anti-oxidants in it. If you put the blackmores one in the fridge you might be able to get away with it.

Theres another brand that I've seen that includes the anti-oxidants, but I can't remember which one it was. I'll try to find out.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

archie123

Post by archie123 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Well I just joined the over 35 club and I'm new to the forum thing (middle age crisis maybe?)anyway I don't know what I'm really trying to say. Maybe its when your 35 and you've been around the bloke a while surfing you just figure it out more, less is more sometimes. Lately every surf I've had its been with nice conditions uncrowded situations and barrels. Work hard in summer and surf lots and lots in winter. Be honest with ya self and don't over do it. I stretch more and more now which i like so when I do surf I feel I still got it. look out side the box and dont follow the crowd. get busy livin.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:54 am

archie123 wrote: I just joined the over 35 club and I'm new to the forum thing (middle age crisis maybe?).
did you specificaly wait till you hit 35 to join in because you were waiting to till you met the key demographics of the majority realsurfer forum participators ... namely :arrow: a bunch of old farts who still surf .... :idea: :wink: