FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 am

A bit of both, though lately i've started trying to surf more off the back foot. I still stand a bit more forward than i probably should though.
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Had a surf today at the Bower with some double overhead sets coming through. The M3/G1000 combo handled it fine as a 6'0" board. I probably would have still liked my KFin instead, just to get some tighter arcs though.

Quads are a real strange beast I have to admit. The same board as a thruster might be a bit too skatey in those waves, but as soon as you add the fourth fin it holds surprisingly well. I didn't have to nurse a single turn at all.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Noticed MP using some curvy type fins, wondered if anyone's tried FCS CRV's in the front on a quad set up? And for complete lunacy, how about 3D Red tip trailers? Surely you'd get fairly impressive hold, but also some insane lift from a set up like that? Maybe too much? :shock:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:47 pm

nah but I am for a bit of lunacy when it comes to trying diff shite out....here are a few examples of some of the stuff I am gunna try real soon, bottom pic is tried and going great in my quads already....
there are plenty of other combos to try and even though all seem very weird and unlikely to work, still learn from every one I try out....and it is fun as hell tooo...... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Whats that bottom combo there MP?

P.S. The rest of those things look like they're from Star Wars!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 pm

u should know this one...you have it on your board...just different materials and company...these ones have more twang IMO.....

may the fours be with you..... :roll:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Looks nice! Whats the model name of the front fins?

Might get a pair sometime :)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:50 pm

They look very similar to the SF4 template. Other people seem to rave about them in more rail-centric fin set-ups with wider tails, like the Stretch F4.

I didn't like them very much in a round-tail McKee set-up with quite a pulled in tail though, I prefer less fin area in the front fins.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 pm

i dunno, i feel when i surf off my back foot they dont have enough squirt through full rail turns.
but when transitioning from rail to rail the fully raked hexagons come into theyre own and drive off the single to double vee. thats just my opinion
i just made that up :lol:
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

JET01
charger

Post by JET01 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 am

SF4 Fronts and GL rears. Put them in my dominator the other day... feels like a different board.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 am

After only a week with my new fat bat I tried something else - Had the feeling that the m5/m3 combo was a bit too much fin. So I have put in a set of these: http://shapers.com.au/prod303.htm

They reckon the front fins are not quite a size 7, but thinner and more raked, and the back fins are similar size to the gx, but again a bit thinner and raked. Feels more lively and really grippy on late takeoffs, and more speed off bottom turns and faster down the line. After 2 surfs I really really like 'em.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 am

Topher, glad you ave found fins that are workin well, I supply what is workin well for most and it isnt always eactly what some like and in todays swap and change world of fins, that is to be expected and if you ever wanted to discuss options I am always available to chat, just want the board to give you as much stoke as possible...I have worked with several customers months after to get fins right for them, usually with good results....hope the FB is giving you tons of joy now mate.... 8)

I find the big variation in fin sizes ( M7 and gx ) have too much looseness in the tail, almost a twinny feel and the Fat-Bats arent really trying to feel like a twinny, I like a solid drivier feel from the fins but still lively in the shape due to other elements of the board, the bigger variation in fins seems to make them surf more snappy and less flowing thry turns, almost hard to carve out out longer arcs IMO, but this is the beaty od boards in general, everyone likes something different and stoked to hear you are liking it, no matter what fins you settle on.... 8) 8) 8)

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am

I find the big variation in fin sizes ( M7 and gx ) have too much looseness in the tail, almost a twinny feel

That's how i like my bat at the moment, though i surfed a keel fish for a few years. Much more loose than the keel fish though.
Wait til ya see what i have in the bat at the moment mark, you'll shake ya head hahaha. Try to post a pic later.
we are the angry mob

saltman
Owl status

Post by saltman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 am

Topher wrote:After only a week with my new fat bat I tried something else - Had the feeling that the m5/m3 combo was a bit too much fin. So I have put in a set of these: http://shapers.com.au/prod303.htm

They reckon the front fins are not quite a size 7, but thinner and more raked, and the back fins are similar size to the gx, but again a bit thinner and raked. Feels more lively and really grippy on late takeoffs, and more speed off bottom turns and faster down the line. After 2 surfs I really really like 'em.

Which ones ya using the quad E or Quad X
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 am

No idea how it'll go, the rear of the keels is 10" from the tail, which is far up for keels. Tried this morning, but it was total puss, hope to try if we get this E swell midweek. Ok, not a quad, but i may use the tiny orange one tabbers if its too loose.
we are the angry mob

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 am

Guard
Have you tried the V2 437's in your quad?

I am also using the V2 438's and am pretty happy with them, but a mate suggested the trying the 437's.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 pm

saltman wrote:
Topher wrote:After only a week with my new fat bat I tried something else - Had the feeling that the m5/m3 combo was a bit too much fin. So I have put in a set of these: http://shapers.com.au/prod303.htm

Which ones ya using the quad E or Quad X

Quad X. Just had another great little surf on 'em.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Beery, you now i takes alot to make me shake my head, I love the diff stuff, keen to hear feedback,
whatever works for ya I say..... 8)