FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:16 pm

I tried out M5/GX yesterday is pretty solid surf, as well as smallish waves. I really liked it. The larger front fins gave a ton of drive, but the very small rear fins allowed for great pivot as well. It handled fine on larger more powerful waves too, and still had enough pivot for smaller waves.

Today I tried out K-fin(black)/M1000, and that was great too. Much looser and with greater pivot than M5/GX, but with slightly less drive. The K-fin looked like it sat between M3 and M5 in size, but had less rake to allow for more pivot.

After trying out quite a few different combinations, the info on Mckee's website rang pretty true and I understand it a lot more now. I just had to experiment to try it out myself (I tend to learn the slow or hard way).

It depends on the board and what you want it to do. If you want more drive, increase the size of the front fins, and if you want to maintain the same amount of pivot, decrease the size of the rear fins. The other option to maintain pivot is to pick a front fin that has more base and surface area, but less rake/sweep than the previous fin.

I'm yet to try the SF-4 set, but looking at their measurements I'm expecting them to have more drive than M5/GX from having a greater surface area, but not as much security around turns due to less depth and sweep. They'll probably have a touch of skate through the turn.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mckeequattro

Post by mckeequattro » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm

M5 fronts plus new M2 backs... sold as a M4Quattro set..
M2 in between a M3 and G1000.
Available in 80/20 inside foil or double foil.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:43 pm

maybe M3 fronts and M2 backs then, coz you said the combo of M3 fronts and G1000's were good but just lacked a little drive....I have got 3's and 1000's in my newy and I cant imagine changing a thing...not yet anyway, only surfed it 3 times and all in 2-4ft clean waves...lovin it... 8)

great to have mr Mckee on the forums again.... 8)
Last edited by pridmore on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:09 pm

You're a fat bastard aren't you iggy.

And not over 5'10".

The grim reality of surfboard design exposes all our physical forms for what they are.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Ouch
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:41 pm

I want to know what fins this guy is using:

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/sixt ... back_25235

It looks lively like a HPS, but when he lays that turn down...my jebus!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 pm

I think you would enjoy a set of these then... There are a few others on these forums who also enjoy them and they may tell you how they go...

pics too big but you can see the fins...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:50 am

They look pretty interesting. They look like they would provide a lot of lift, and be quite pivotal. Whats the specific feel of those fins? Also, what sort of waves do they tend to be better for?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:01 pm

they are fast and really love to be pushed down the line...these fins in a flat rockered board is the fastest I have ever been on a surfboard....they do give lift but the down the line projection is awesome and allows you to fly thru sections you wouldnt usually make....havent tried them enough in conventional equipment to give acurate report but in semi-fish type boards, I love em...I am reducing the size a little to suit a QF soon...should be very interesting...would love to surf a G-Land type wave with them thats for sure.... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:43 pm

I tried out the Stretch SF4 fins today. I've gotta say, they were smoother to turn than M5/GX and had a ton of drive, but I didn't like them all that much. I think a back foot surfer might appreciate these fins, but it wasn't really for me.

It seems as though whenever I increase the size of the front fins, turning off the front foot gets a lot harder. When I try to drop the size of the rear fins a lot to compensate for this, it doesn't actually reduce that feeling, it just gives it this unusual effect of when you put the back foot down for a turn, the board frees up and rockets through the turn with great pivot.

I don't know if I like the feeling of having a huge size difference. Its a bit unusual for me as it feels a lot harder to do small check type turns, but when I put the back foot down it frees up.

It seems as though having fin sizes a little closer together gives the board a smoother and more predictable feel. It also seems that as with many board specs, if you want to increase the drive it comes at the price of decreased maneuverability. My mission of trying to get the best of both worlds is coming to an end I think.

So far the best combinations that I've tried are M3/G1000 that MP supplied with the board (and I probably stupidly should have just stuck with that instead of tearing my hear out with all the testing). Another combination that felt pretty nice was also K-fin (old black originals)/M1000. That seemed to have a touch more skate than M3/G1000 but very similar drive and pivot. I liked it.

Mind you, all of this testing has been with a 6'0" Quadfather, McKee quad set-up. I'm guessing that fin preferences might be a bit different for the different varieties of quads and quad fin placement (e.g. Stretch vs McKee). I'm starting to think that with fin reports for quads in the future it'll be useful to mention what quad fin placement and what type of board it is.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:14 pm

great info and I agree with having both sets the same template and tail fins just a bit smaller...I have tried alot of diff combos, some weird and very different, they all worked and some really excelled for certain turns or conditions and I have stored them in the memory bank....great that you agree with my selection of fins after all your testing Caveman, makes me even MORE confident that my ( and others ) feedback for that design is spot on....Iggs, your reports on quads have been helpful and I have definitely taken your posts on-board but still done the testing again for myself...I agree with most of your quad info except when you say you would surf thrusters if you had perfect waves all the time...I would ride a variety of boards but quads would definitely be my current number 1 choice as I find I can make more sections and take off deeper than previously on my thrusters, but in saying that I am always chasing a different feeling from my boards and that sometimes is just because I get bored quickly and am always wanting to know more and experience different designs...but I cant go past a good quad in good, average or crap waves lately....only my opinion ....

Iggy and Caveman, you keen to try a pair of butterflies if I send apair down sometime soon ??? I LOVE them in waves when you want down the line speed, maximum drive and hold to the wave face.... :)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm with you Mark, I'm a quad convert now. When I think about what I like in a board, quads have some sort of advantage to offer over thrusters in all size ranges. I don't like them purely because of the extra drive helping to milk out more power from the wave, I love the hold and speed on all accounts. Going really fast and then using all that speed in a big turn is what I love doing the most, and quads let me do it with so much more commitment.

Sure Mark, I'd be keen to give them a try for sure. Who makes them? Whats the drill with sending them down to try out?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 am

Its no probs sending them down, just sent Longinus a set and Lessormore has a few too....
Yeah, if I was to make myself boards for surfing perfect waves,I would be shaping round tail quads ATM, couldnt be happier with how they are goin for me and thats why I'm doing one of these as my project board, hoping to let others ride them and see for themselves...shaping it today or tomorrow..
Thrusters do go great and I like that some prefer them and it is the way it should be, people like diff shapes and me too but atm , thoroughly enjoying every aspect of the quads....I am goin to get some smaller butterflies for the QF's to try soon, been meaning to for ages but got so much else goin on and still have 2 boards ( 1 new ) that I havent ridden coz I cant get of my round tail quad coz its got me hooked.... :)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

^^^ more rake, Guard

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:13 pm

I am going to try the Butterflies on the project Quadfather and if all goes well, they will be sent with the board....if they go as well as the bigger set did on my Fat-Bat, I am quietly confident there will be several quad lovers keen for a set...I am also expecting them to vanish but hoping they will see out the project....shaped the project board today, looks pretty fun...dims are 6'4" x 19 3/8" x 2 5/8"
8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Don't worry Mark, if the quad arrives in Sydney without the butterfly fins I'll make the previous owner an offer he can't refuse.... :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 pm

that saying seems to keep popping up, have to use it with the project board somehow...also spraying it tomorrow but unsure of what to do...RV will say to spray it pink again...and dont worry, I am considering it as a point that its not about how a board looks but how it goes...ha ha... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:20 pm

I vote that you put a big black hand-print on the board for the full mafia effect. I don't know whether you son's hand will be quite big and menacing enough though... :P

Pink with a black hand-print could work :lol: