Firewire

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Firewire

Post by jimmy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:13 pm

^^^^ And the bogans advertise on Win TV.. Really core you mong..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 am

I love Legoland...just saying

Wingnut, your three categories is a bit light on mate. What about your high performance boards that are of pu/poly construction? What about Roy's timber master pieces?
Personally I wouldn't call a FireWire a disposable board. They should outlast a standard pu/poly board by a factor of three or four at least.
As kayu (I think it was kayu, appologies if I got it wrong) said, vac bagging technology has been around in Australia for many years. I used it in building boats in the early ninetys with epoxy and carbon, actually vacuum bagging first originated in the 50's as a way of containing laminates while they were curing as resin tech was in it's infancy, well more to the point, catalyst tech was in it's infancy at this time and some processes took hours to cure and needed elevated pressure and temperature to cure. Now elevated temperature is another kettle of fish so we won't go down that path in this discussion.
As for this 'compsand' thing, compsand really is a shortened form of composite sandwich, which is really an oxymoron. To be a composite construction, two or more differing materials need to be employed, hence composite. Sandwich construction is a method where a core is sandwiched between an outer skin; foam being sandwiched by Fibreglass, wood, other foam + Fibreglass.
So you see they both mean the same thing, I guess it's just a marketing thing like "parabolic rails" is/was.

In my humble opinion, the composite construction of boards (PVC foam on a polystyrene core) is an awesome medium. The boards I have ridden made from this process are light, very durable, have excellent flex characteristics, and paddle, surf, and perform as good as if not better than a similar pu/poly board.

If you want to try one, my advice is seek out a local shaper (ie Aussie) to make you one, guys like Josh, huie and now Tiger. They are great shapers from the old school, who know what makes a board work and also know how to deliver the package using these 'new' technologies.

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:32 am

jack18 wrote:hahhaha :) Nope, i'm afraid none of the above. anyway I've got better things to do then to listen to some pathetic kid go on a rant about nothing, you obviously haven't, so have fun there big fella ;)
Go f*ck yourself, you smug spamming c*nt...

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Jimmy, that's just a weird comment. Do you seriously suggest the only boards worth riding are those ridden by a world champ? That'd exclude an awful lot of excellent traditionally constructed boards. None of my normal boards are a Merrick/DHD/whatever Andy rode. Not allowed to ride them? Crap boards? What crap.

I honestly don't comprehend this hostility to Firewire boards. They're more eco friendly because they last longer, (not indestructible), perform well and really don't harm anyone. Surf'em or don't surf 'em, but I reckon in 10 years time 50% of the market will be parabolic railed (or similar) epoxy glassed boards.I'd love my traditional shaper to move to that tech, but maybe find a way to add (add? am I crazy?) a touch more weight for some boards (not always).

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 pm

jack didn't watch my last youtube link from his previous posting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBjK_oavReU
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 pm

buzzy wrote:Jimmy, that's just a weird comment. Do you seriously suggest the only boards worth riding are those ridden by a world champ? That'd exclude an awful lot of excellent traditionally constructed boards. None of my normal boards are a Merrick/DHD/whatever Andy rode. Not allowed to ride them? Crap boards? What crap.

I honestly don't comprehend this hostility to Firewire boards. They're more eco friendly because they last longer, (not indestructible), perform well and really don't harm anyone. Surf'em or don't surf 'em, but I reckon in 10 years time 50% of the market will be parabolic railed (or similar) epoxy glassed boards.I'd love my traditional shaper to move to that tech, but maybe find a way to add (add? am I crazy?) a touch more weight for some boards (not always).
No I don't Buzz lightyear but having read your posts you obviously have an investment.. Good on ya pal.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:07 pm

gibber wrote:Wingnut, your three categories is a bit light on mate. What about your high performance boards that are of pu/poly construction? What about Roy's timber master pieces?
Personally I wouldn't call a FireWire a disposable board. They should outlast a standard pu/poly board by a factor of three or four at least.
[/b]
Hey Gibber,

I didn't list any board materials :?: :shock:

I basically categorise boards into three groups...

1: I believe there are your handmade custom beauties made to last. (This includes Epoxy, EPS, Pu, Carbon, Balsa, Bamboo etc.)
2: Your machine shaped but functional boards which are disposable (Firewire). (I've had 4 Firewires, they don't outlast a well glassed, Pu handmade board! They're a production line board with a company focused on profit & margins.)
3: And then the Asian imports which are also disposable. (Surftech, NSP, Bic, Boardworks etc.)

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:00 pm

When you say 'machine shaped' I take that as meaning the vast number of pu boards that are machine shaped blanks then cleaned up by hand then glassed.
Anyway, I'm somewhat confused by your comments

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:48 pm

:shock: I can't be bothered trying to explain...

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:24 am

The 2 firewires I've had are heaps stronger, and last longer COMPARED TO A BOARD OF SIMILAR WEIGHT. They surf really well, I can feel the board flex and spring out of turns. They are not supposed to be indestructable. I have had to have one repaired once after a wipeout, but the impact was big - cut up my knee pretty bad - and the repairer reckoned damage would have been heaps worse on PU.

For me, lighter glassed boards feel nice but just don't last.

I have 2 handmade heavy glassed boards and 1 firewire and it is a great balance for me.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I saw one on the news tonight with bite marks from a noah- lookedto have held up alright.