Firewire

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pinhead
barnacle

Re: Firewire

Post by pinhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 pm

LONGINUS wrote:
Yep, most epoxy boards are made overseas. The main reason is access to technology. Vacuum seal technology just doesent exist in Australia. You know the cool little vacuum sealed shrink wrapped towels and T-Shirts in the shape of a surfboard? Cant be done in Australia. The best expoxy laminating process requires this technology and so thats where they are made.
Where are you getting this stuff from Longy? Josh Dowling and I built a vacumm pump from a fridge engine I found on the side of the road. The how to is all on the net - high tech has gone open source. Pretty soon people are gonna be launching sattelites from their backyards using stuff they bought from Bunnings

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Mark, I have to say you are probably the most naturally gifted marketer I have come across, and although I suspect that Dino had his tongue slightly in his cheek (the best place for it, IMHO) he is right, your genuine enthusiasm sold me.

And as I only know one other bloke who has a surf shop I'll do my best to make sure that Longinus or this other bloke gets my business. Good luck to all you farnarklers.

Now, just got to get out to the garage to start work on my home made satellite.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:49 pm

dinosaur wrote:I wasn't taking the piss I meant it. I don't buy all this " i just do it for the love of it crap" I just want him to be honest.
Fair enough.

I'm just not sure that Mark realises what a natural salesman he is. I don't think it's a front, I think that's him, straight up.

Here's a mr green for yas all. Can never get enough mr greens I reckon. :mrgreen:

Here's some more. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am

i am part of the mr green fan club too oldie :mrgreen:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 am

More mr greens :mrgreen:

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:34 pm

daryl wrote:More mr greens :mrgreen:
Daryl, judging by some of your responses on Realsurf, many of which I have no fcuking clue as to what you are actually saying, I reckon you have had enough "greens" to last you a life time. Lay off the bongs brother.

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Snapped my firewire in half yesterday after 9 months of abuse. Very happy with the board and will definately be looking for another when Kaptain Krudd's money comes through.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:
daryl wrote:More mr greens :mrgreen:
Daryl, judging by some of your responses on Realsurf, many of which I have no fcuking clue as to what you are actually saying, I reckon you have had enough "greens" to last you a life time. Lay off the bongs brother.
lay off me, fuckhead.

I'm not interested in pridders reasons like supporting a family, I like his generosity and now I'm adding another vote in support : :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pridmore wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote:
pridmore wrote:the wax is great..bit of rash but plenty of grip....its the shitttte.... :) I often wonder why the other pros arent riding Firewires or similar ??? if they are so much better or even a tiny bit of an advantage, surely the pros would want to be on them ??? even though they are sponsored by other board labels, surely some or even just a few would be riding them for this performance benefit ??? Not knocking the boards, just wondering ??? Johno, by getting the Firewire, do you hope to surf more like Taj ? have a look how Taj surfed before he rode them, when he rode PU's from Webber and co...he surfed just the same mate, dont be fooled by marketing hype, sure try the boards and if you like them, get one, but just buy for the right reasons, again not being negative anout firewire or any boards, just lots of marketing hype and not even Taj is on em now so gotta wonder why ???? JMO 8)
Marketing Hype - your kidding right?? Fat Bat travelling round the east coast just as a kind gesture for all your brother surfers right? Cmon, I admire and respect what your doing and hope you do well out of it, but your no different to FW. No one markets on this site like you. I have a couple of FW's and love them, I have tried some of their shapes and they didnt work for me BUT..... I have given all of them a massive flogging and hardly a dent. Tough as and a joy to ride. Much rather pay the extra couple of hundred and have something last. BTW lots of pros ride them. Brent Dorrington has been riding them and his old man shapes PU boards.
It is actually a fun thing for fellow surfers to enjoy, thats is the main reason I did it and main reason I surf, FUN. If i get some promo from it and some feedback than thats great too, but it never was planned as a big marketing scheme like you have suggested...anyway, no apologies for self promoting coz if I dont, I would be a fool and my kids would go without and for you to say spade for spade makes me laugh but thanks ( i think ), no way is what I do on the $0 budget can be same as Firewire. My info about their boards has come from discussing them with customers who have owned one so if it is bad info then it has come from Firewire owners. Elbows, thanks for your comments and glad you are enjoying the project, me too and many others, its been fun. at the risk of marketing again, I will just let you know boards start from $499 but if you wanna discuss further, please pm me or go to my web-site.... 8)

Rico

Post by Rico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

I ride a quad dominator and it works in almost any conditions, it's just my all-time fav allrounder and I'd buy it again and again just for the shape. Still looks like on the first day, so much for quality.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Saw one snapped at Bondi a few weeks ago. All the deck peeled off with it. :shock: :shock:
Not an easy repair. This was one of those chunky shapes as well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:31 pm

LONGINUS wrote:
Clif wrote:Where and who makes resin8s?

Same with FW?

Are either ecologically sound?

What are the working conditions?

There is something in buying local to offset carbon travel ... and supporting a fellow surfer/s

all important considerations on top of how a board goes, for me.

Love, a hippy. :mrgreen:
Yep, most epoxy boards are made overseas. The main reason is access to technology. Vacuum seal technology just doesent exist in Australia. You know the cool little vacuum sealed shrink wrapped towels and T-Shirts in the shape of a surfboard? Cant be done in Australia. The best expoxy laminating process requires this technology and so thats where they are made. Working conditions? It's very far from a chinaman with a durry in one hand pulling on a lever while a 13 year old kid runs between the jaws of the press to set the logo. Some of the factories that make epoxy boards tool up after a surfboard production round and make precision artificial plastic heart parts.

A carbon neutral board is a great idea though, I was chatting to Mark Pridmore about exactly that. I'm going to get an auditor to work it out. Shouldnt be too hard to calculate the total emissions from production and then work out how much you have to pay to offset them. Would be interested to see how many tonnes of CO2 goes up the pipe to make a standard PU/PE Board versus an Epoxy. Once you have offset you get to slap a pretty NO CO2 sticker on it. I'm betting it would make a $500 board about $900. Not sure in this economic climate how successful it would be. Only have to look at how the government has shrunk away from ulturistic Green projects and sold out on emission reductions / carbon trading at the moment.

Dino - whooo, yeahhh man - -- whoooo DINO! - party on dino..party on man. :D
Longinas, thats not quite true . Vac-bag technology , as it relates to surfboards was pioneered in Sydney , Australia , to build the world renowned "Sydney 18ft racing skiffs"......many years ago.. :lol:....and the best comp-sand boards I have seen ,are built here in Oz..........I think your confusing "build quality" with " mass produced quality"........IMO , Aus-made boards are the best value for money , and epoxy imports are about the worst.......with most Oz- made boards you get more than you moneys'worth.......

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 pm

kayu wrote:. Vac-bag technology , as it relates to surfboards was pioneered in Sydney , Australia , to build the world renowned "Sydney 18ft racing skiffs"......many years ago.. :lol:.....

well, i found that fact really interesting....surfboard building has always borrowed from other industrys....areosapace comes mind

i want understand why surfboards are so undervalued :?

i've been thinking ( little) but looking ( alot).....can't find anything selling for the same price it was 30 years ago :shock:

how does the surfboard industry manage stay in this price time warp while still producing eva better boards :? :?

it don't add up$$$$$$ :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:07 am

Mustkill , IMO quality oz-made boards are def undervalued . The other end of the scale is epoxy imports are way overpriced. What brings the "imorted price" up to Oz market price is the extreme amount of money spent on marketing them as in full-page surf-mag adds etc etc etc.....to cut a long story short , if you buy an import you are paying for that labels bull-shit advertising and getting less surfboard for your dough.. :lol: ....my first brand new board cost $90.00 ( aprox 1978) add it up.. :shock:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:11 am

..........an important point to add to the eqation = there was a time when trade-ins were accepted , and were worth decent money-------most boards these days are just disposable items.. :cry:

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 pm

kayu wrote:..........an important point to add to the eqation = there was a time when trade-ins were accepted , and were worth decent money-------most boards these days are just disposable items.. :cry:
I basically categorise boards into three groups...

1: I believe there are your handmade custom beauties made to last.
2: Your machine shaped but functional boards which are disposable (Firewire).
3: And then the Asian imports which are also disposable.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Good point - I had a Hot Buttered that cost me $180 back in 1981 (exy back then), but really in relation to housing, cars et... they havent increased that much.

Sidenote - How much would you pay to have a board glassed?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:49 pm

good posts....interesting

this is how boards are valued second hand ( please note....a prawn brocker even with surf knowledge will stick with the scale...and keep the orginal M>R twinny for himself and put in on ebay for a grand after paying $25 for it)

a brand new shortboard....unwaxed or in perfect condition

$180

a mini mal or long board same condition....$200 too $220..max

a shorty used but still ok....$100 if they want the stock....mini mals will always sell better over a shorty

a year old shorty ....surfed normally...$25 too $50...IF they want stock....mostly they won't want it

i have a mate who deals in second hand.....thats the truth off it :shock: they look make a $100 out each deal

if you don't want sell that price here and now...take it elsewhere...but really...anything is only trully worth what you can sell it for right now, @ least in $$$$ terms

they really don't give a rats as boards are a pain stock and store

kinda scary hey :shock: .......i think i was right get out the industry :cry:

p.s....seafood :idea: the price seafood hasn't risen all that much in 30 years....only product i can find...maybe it's a sea thing that keeps prices low :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 pm

I've had four or five Firewire's previously & liked them all but they weren't durable enough for my tastes. A single layer of 4 oz on the deck just isn't enough for my liking. The boards went great, I really thought the plane shapes & rocker were excellent but I sold them all off one by one as I knew they'd eventually fall apart.

Now days if I want an epoxy board I go straight to Josh Dowling (Speedneedle), his boards are fully custom for not too much more than a Firewire and tuned to do whatever you want. The only limit is you.

Sounds like I'm blowing Josh's trumpet but his boards are first rate & he's a nice bloke. He had some involvement with Burt & Nev at Firewire in the beginning so knows what Firewire's are about and then some more...

My 2 cents.