Help with shortboard shape/dimensions

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mrpotato
Grommet

Help with shortboard shape/dimensions

Post by mrpotato » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi All,

I've been riding a 6'10 miller f-skate for a number of years now and i'm looking to progress my surfing by moving to a shorter board. Problem is I don't know what size and what shaper would be most suitable and looking for some help. I'm 6'1" tall, 90kgs and looking for a good board from anything from 2ft up to about 5ft max on the northern beaches. I really like the look of the chilli cn curve but not sure on the dimensions for my size & weight or is there any others that would be more suitable or worth a look?

Cheers Mr P

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: Help with shortboard shape/dimensions

Post by Surfin Turf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:23 am

Mr P ...

I have said this to every person that has ever asked this question on RS or otherwise ... go talk to good shapers and honestly tell them about your ability level and what you want out of a board and leave it to the experts ... in 32 years of surfing I only once ever gave a shaper instructions and that was when I was 14, since then I have let the shaper utilise the latest designs and technology with the information I give him ...
check out a few shapers and go with whoever you feel confident with ... why not start at Pure Surfboards ... plenty of solid Nthn Beaches experience there ...

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:03 am

good advice ^^

Mr Potato, what you mean by 2ft-5ft??
signatures, finally got it covered.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:09 pm

yeah, not too shabby ST , seems you know MORE than just lawns.... 8)

Mr.P , I would be stoked to design you up a board and see what you think ? just PM all possible info on yourself, waves ridden, skill level, fitness, current board ( likes and dislikes etc...) and anything else at all that may be useful and I will design you up the board that I believe would be ideal and then you can check it out...doesnt mean you have to get me to shape it, but could give you a different option and never can hurt to have another shapers thoughts...I actually have shaped quite a few boards for guys wo were riding Millers so I have a good knowledge of those shapes too, anyway, the offer is there if you are interested ??? 8) start at only $499- 8)
Last edited by pridmore on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 pm

mr potato, you been led right path i feel.
throw miller in car and go talk pridmore.
if you never have spoken with shaper before, you go away feelin good about ya surfing and where it going.

new surfboards still get me off, i love em :lol:

p.s. my first thought about your next board would be lose some MEAT(foam) and find some rail on the tail :lol:

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:36 pm

New Surfboards

i think a topic about lifes little pleasures, cant find.
new boards has to be one of them :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:06 pm

yes, no matter how many I make , it is still like getting a new custom for myself, I never get sick of it, it is really like they are all for me.... 8) :)

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

^^ i've given shapers heaps over the years, and copped it back, no prob :x

personally feel my realtionships with shapers Top 5.
i know sounds little selfish, but i really do enjoy talking design with people that doing the creating

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm

shoot me an e-mail and I can show you some pics and creative stuff I have been doing lately, sounds like you might enjoy it. I do a bit of a newsletter thingy with pics of shapes and new designs and just other board related stuff so if anyone wants to be sent one every month ( guess its spam but its all surfing and boards, notsales pushing shhiiittt ), just let me know, my e-mail is on my profile or http://www.moresurfboards.com , always value realsurfers opinions on stuff too.... 8)
Last edited by pridmore on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Mr Potato
Talk to Hayden Cox of Haydenshapes at Mona Vale, he is great to talk to and will give you good advice.

I have two of his boards and they are excellent.

His phone number is 9997 6698 or check out the website at

http://www.haydenshapes.com/

johno_52

Post by johno_52 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey,

I've just got a new board, it was shaped by Peter Daniels at Division Surfboards at Mona Vale. He was great i went in talked to him told him what i wanted and what i surfed like he gave me i demo i tried it and liked :D it so he shaped me a board similar but for my exact height,weight,surf size and skill so i would recommend to talk to him about what you want. :D
Johno

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:41 pm

[quote="johno_52"]Hey,

I've just got a new board, it was shaped by Peter Daniels at Division Surfboards at Mona Vale. He was great i went in talked to him told him what i wanted and what i surfed like he gave me i demo i tried it and liked :D it so he shaped me a board similar but for my exact height,weight,surf size and skill so i would recommend to talk to him about what you want. :D[/quote]

^^ sounds like you scored johno_52 :lol:

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

thanks everyone for the advice..just getting help in what direction has been very useful.

Loofy, after your comments I checked out the simon mollusc the other day and I say it is what I pictured in my mind...think I will give one a test ride and see how it goes. As you said it looks like the 6'6 is exact size I would be looking at..a slimmed down version of my miller.

Cheers
Mr P